New 20 gallon, cycle question.

Eric209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are awesome prices. I dare not even look at designer clowns. Looking at 89 to 300 each. Im in CT.

Wow that's crazy expensive! The prices are higher because of the pandemic so hopefully everything goes back to normal soon. Good luck on the tank.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I did check the date of the stability bottle and it was manufactured in July...

I found Brew12s posts btw... very helpful information. Mostly a post about algea growing being a good sign of the cycle :)
Ya most brands are only good for a dew weeks to up to a couple months of manufacturing date and need to be refrigerated

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you are premature on thinking the tank is cycled.
Typically its 14 to 21 days to cycle. It has only been 10 for you as of today.

IMO and when I cycle a tank, I do a 75% water change after I feel its compleated. YMMV.

After the water change i wait 48 hours and test again.
If it tests ok then I will add livestock.

I would only add one fish in a 20g when you do.

OP
OP
Digitalfirex

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel you are premature on thinking the tank is cycled.
Typically its 14 to 21 days to cycle. It has only been 10 for you as of today.

IMO and when I cycle a tank, I do a 75% water change after I feel its compleated. YMMV.

After the water change i wait 48 hours and test again.
If it tests ok then I will add livestock.

I would only add one fish in a 20g when you do.

Ok, makes sense. So you think the bottle of stability, biospira and Dr Tims did nothing?

Thank you.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Should I do a 4 gallon water change and maybe siphon the sand? Ammonia seems to be .25 to .50

I added microbacter7 as reccomend on bottle and didnt do a water change for 2 months. I had a fish and small cuc in there a week after setting it up. Worked well for me.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, makes sense. So you think the bottle of stability, biospira and Dr Tims did nothing?

Thank you.

No I am not saying it did nothing.
All I am saying is nature is nature.
It takes 9 months to produce a child and no matter how much health food or vitamins she takes it still takes 9 months.

Its no different in the bacteria world. It takes time for the bacteria to establish, set up home so to speak and grow.
No matter if you start with 10 bacteria or 50 billion.

OP
OP
Digitalfirex

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No I am not saying it did nothing.
All I am saying is nature is nature.
It takes 9 months to produce a child and no matter how much health food or vitamins she takes it still takes 9 months.

Its no different in the bacteria world. It takes time for the bacteria to establish, set up home so to speak and grow.
No matter if you start with 10 bacteria or 50 billion.

True... I can see that.

I also noticed that aside from my dry rock starting to look dirty over night... I got a few spots now on them that have something different. Basically I see a brighter yellow spot with a teal part in the middle... is that a type of algea as opposed to the dirty brown carpet on everything else? Sorry I can't get a good picture.

20200930_143700.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True... I can see that.

I also noticed that aside from my dry rock starting to look dirty over night... I got a few spots now on them that have something different. Basically I see a brighter yellow spot with a teal part in the middle... is that a type of algea as opposed to the dirty brown carpet on everything else? Sorry I can't get a good picture.

20200930_143700.jpg

Yes I would say that is in fact algae.
Algae comes in many colors and forms, and every tank has differences.

Looks like your ready for a big water change and a fish.
But test before and after the change.

OP
OP
Digitalfirex

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That makes sense. I did check the date of the stability bottle and it was manufactured in July...

I found Brew12s posts btw... very helpful information. Mostly a post about algea growing being a good sign of the cycle :)

So I added a clean up crew to the tank. Was having a weird brown water issue, assumed it was an algea bloom. I also added a handful of empty shells... im assuming 1 of the hermit crab or snails I added had a hitchhiker...

Anyone think this is aptasia? It is TINY... white / clear. Id say 1/8" barely visible.

20201023_232101.jpg 20201023_231913.jpg

Back