OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look stunning! I still think a regal angel, hybrid whitecheek, or Harlequin Tusk would just be that extra touch. Just teasing man.

Also after your thread I ended up buying 2 mp60s thinking I was going to replace two mp40s... I just kept them all on the system. I want that natural sps colony look versus the sticks growing into the flow and light they want. So mimic the growth patterns you have in your system.

that far left structure could use another stick or two :cool:
Lol...thanks bro. I plan on added a few more sticks on the left rock work. 4 vortechs are a good option. I run mine pretty hard :cool:

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...thanks bro. I plan on added a few more sticks on the left rock work. 4 vortechs are a good option. I run mine pretty hard :cool:
Save that area for something in particular? well luckily I got 6 vortechs and one gyre so I don't have to run as hard as you. The humming starts to sound like a plan preparing for take off

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save that area for something in particular? well luckily I got 6 vortechs and one gyre so I don't have to run as hard as you. The humming starts to sound like a plan preparing for take off
Wow...lot of flow... I love it. I have my 4 vortechs and 2 gyres. They aren't too noisy but are also in a common area where people are generally talking and such...so noise isn't an issue.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...lot of flow... I love it. I have my 4 vortechs and 2 gyres. They aren't too noisy but are also in a common area where people are generally talking and such...so noise isn't an issue.
I have them turned down for the most part and have more juice if needed later. Mine is also in a common area, but with the recent state of the world. It is just me in the tank so I hear it all haha.

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine last between 8-11days... i track it through my apex. I recently picked up the icecap large co2 scrubber...its tiny! Its replacing the BRS dual media reactor repurposed for Co2 duties.

I saw in a different thread that you upgraded the tube size on the Icecap. I am running into similar issues as you and wanted to see if you just changed the fitting to a bigger size on the murlock side or did you drill and tap the reactor to make bigger threads as well?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw in a different thread that you upgraded the tube size on the Icecap. I am running into similar issues as you and wanted to see if you just changed the fitting to a bigger size on the murlock side or did you drill and tap the reactor to make bigger threads as well?
Hey bud... i just made the fittings bigger. Its worked pretty well. The co2 media last me know around 18 days before i need to change it out.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them turned down for the most part and have more juice if needed later. Mine is also in a common area, but with the recent state of the world. It is just me in the tank so I hear it all haha.
Here is another video of flow during a different time of the day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SDOT, do you have your mp40s on reef crest??
Depends on the time of the day. I try to emulate tides and flow at different parts of the day. I literally use most of the modes on the MP40's. The gyres pretty much are set to pulse all the time. For the MP40's the top 3 mode's i use are:

Tidal Swell
Reef crest
Expanding pulse
(This mode creates the back and forth motion as seen in the ocean)

I use the below modes for a few ours during the day as well.

Gyre (This mode i have each of the vortechs running opposite of the pump next to it, it creates massive turbulence the corals and fish enjoy)
Lagoon (I use this mode for a few hours after the lights go out)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing, I can't stop myself from watching the mag. I have never used the gyre mode of the vortechs. Thinking I should try them out.
Thank you! The mag is the center piece of the tank, (although its on the right side of the tank :cool:) the vortechs are on expanding pulse mode in the video.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day family! On this day one year ago after weeks of planning, my 150 gallon system was transferred to the current 305 Gallon system. Little did I know what was in store! From terrible multiple hurricanes, a global pandemic, and a historic winter storm... we survived! My tank is finally starting to hit its stride and I look forward to next year's update.

FEB 2020

Im the guy in the tank top: installation day
1614094131740.png

Tank gets water
1614094197608.png

Live stock, coral and sand transferred over to new system

1614094307190.png

More live rock added
1614094368177.png

Its been a journey folks. My tank looks drastically different, I guess that's to be expected. Early on I dealt with low nutrient SPS losses, a sick mag anemone, and finding what work for this tank. While not show quality (On the otherside of dealing with a nasty cyano outbreak...naturally)... Im happy with the progress. Now that I think I have found balance...im curious how this tank will look in another year. Let the count down begin!

1614094954680.png

1614095384916.png

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good day family! On this day one year ago after weeks of planning, my 150 gallon system was transferred to the current 305 Gallon system. Little did I know what was in store! From terrible multiple hurricanes, a global pandemic, and a historic winter storm... we survived! My tank is finally starting to hit its stride and I look forward to next year's update.

FEB 2020

Im the guy in the tank top: installation day
1614094131740.png

Tank gets water
1614094197608.png

Live stock, coral and sand transferred over to new system

1614094307190.png

More live rock added
1614094368177.png

Its been a journey folks. My tank looks drastically different, I guess that's to be expected. Early on I dealt with low nutrient SPS losses, a sick mag anemone, and finding what work for this tank. While not show quality (On the otherside of dealing with a nasty cyano outbreak...naturally)... Im happy with the progress. Now that I think I have found balance...im curious how this tank will look in another year. Let the count down begin!

1614094954680.png

1614095384916.png

That's looking fantastic!! Congrats!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow amazing system, just wondering what the heck was the total cost of that all!!??!??! that is easy though the coolest reef tank i have ever seen
Thanks bud! You guys are truly the best. As far as cost.....Ill put it this way, I could have purchased a new Honda Civic....

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back