New 9410

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger, just recieved the 9410 dc doc skimmer.Unlike the pics in the manual the tubing doesn't have the valve,it looks like it connects to the pump and to the top of the skimmer body,correct?,and you say 6" is optimum water level?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need the valve the dc controller is for air adustment.
Mine is in 6.5" of water at 30% on the controller.
You will love this skimmer.
20190918_190555.jpg
20191109_085808.jpg
Excellent choice!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know this is my first skimmer. Every time I see those "how to tune your skimmer" videos I have no idea what they're talking about. You mean you don't just put it in your sump, turn it on and dial the little blue knob to get the skimmate you want?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know this is my first skimmer. Every time I see those "how to tune your skimmer" videos I have no idea what they're talking about. You mean you don't just put it in your sump, turn it on and dial the little blue knob to get the skimmate you want?
Exactly! There are so many threads and videos on how to "tune" your skimmer.
Couple of people said its toy like with the plastic they use.
I know a person who decided to try one and said he will never own another brand of skimmer.
They said no adjustment and the ease of changing the skimmer cup puts in a leage of its own.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC models do not include the air screw and I generally would advise against it. One of DC's benefits is the air/water ratio stays constant, with AC as you close off air, water flow increases. The manual covers both models and that is why it shows the screw, but if you look to the spare parts list you will see it is not a spare for the DC model. With that said, I have had a couple people add the screw to try to really fine tune it, but I don't really see the need. In general the lower the water level the stronger you can run the pump and that generally means better gas exchange, but typically expect the pump will be at less than 50% and possibly all the way down in a higher water level. For reference an AC model with air all the way open is the same flow as a DC one at 50%. You are correct on the silencer, the tube part goes nearer the pump, a lot of people do that upside down and then the weight of the silencer can lead to kinking.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, so Roger,if I understand you correctly, the silencer with the short piece of tubing goes to the pump and the longer piece of tubing goes to the top of the skimmer body?

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger,just installed the 9410 today,unfortunately the pump is making a horrible grinding sound an surging every couple of seconds,I took the pump apart and tried different water levels from 6" -8" ,didn't help,any ideas?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the bushings are seated, there are two of these, one in the impeller cover and one down in the motor, they often come loose in shipping, they should be completely pressed into their sockets and not come out with the impeller. For the one on the bottom you will generally need a pen, or dowel or some sort of tool. Also be sure the air line is not kinked and no water is being drawn in to the air intake (this is a symptom of being too deep or the outflow pipe not being pushed in all the way), both tend to result in a lot of noise as a lack of airflow causes the needlewheel to get sucked into the front housing and rub. Also, please bare with me, I have to leave early to attend a funeral, if none of this solves it, PM me and on Monday I will get you a pump out.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the bushings are seated, there are two of these, one in the impeller cover and one down in the motor, they often come loose in shipping, they should be completely pressed into their sockets and not come out with the impeller. For the one on the bottom you will generally need a pen, or dowel or some sort of tool. Also be sure the air line is not kinked and no water is being drawn in to the air intake (this is a symptom of being too deep or the outflow pipe not being pushed in all the way), both tend to result in a lot of noise as a lack of airflow causes the needlewheel to get sucked into the front housing and rub. Also, please bare with me, I have to leave early to attend a funeral, if none of this solves it, PM me and on Monday I will get you a pump out.

Thanks Roger will do,sorry for your loss

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, why not? Run it about 1/4-1/3 speed does just fine.
I was just surprised as Tunze never recommends oversizing skimmers because they have difficulty forming a foam head and will only work intermittently. This doesn't seem to be the case with your set up. I guess that's the beauty of DC.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just surprised as Tunze never recommends oversizing skimmers because they have difficulty forming a foam head and will only work intermittently. This doesn't seem to be the case with your set up. I guess that's the beauty of DC.
Not sure I saw any oversize recommendation from Tunze. I'll let Roger speak to that. Ive always gotten good foaming from break in till today. Even when only 3 fish. I do use NoPox so good skimmer was important. But stopped it for a few weeks and I still got a great skimmate that was either light or dark depending on speed.

Glad I didn't hear about oversize before, might not have got it. :)

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I saw any oversize recommendation from Tunze. I'll let Roger speak to that. Ive always gotten good foaming from break in till today. Even when only 3 fish. I do use NoPox so good skimmer was important. But stopped it for a few weeks and I still got a great skimmate that was either light or dark depending on speed.

Glad I didn't hear about oversize before, might not have got it. :)
I love the old style collection cup on the 9410, it takes me back to the 90s. I would love to have one but have seen Roger advise against oversizing skimmers multiple times over the years on here and elsewhere. I'm glad it's working for you, I may have to ask Santa for one this year.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what you want to do. My current tank is 265 and I went slightly oversized (9430) and while I don't yet regret it, it skims consistently, it would be nice to have some accumulation of nutrients, 7 weeks in and still no detectable NO3 and PO4 and I have battled dinoflagellates as a result. I think ideally you want some ability to build a level of nutrients you can control as needed with water changes and GFO, etc. I will see if heavily stocking fish can help.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree...I'm maintaining measurable nitrates and phosphates, more than just measurable at times :). Seems the 9410 DC is a good fit for RSR170 with carbon dosing. It is for me anyway....and I'm not fully stocked yet. I don't know if the AC version would adjust as well, though....major reason I went with DC version.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back