New acro frag mortality rate

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with established SPS tanks what would you say your rate of a new acro frag dying on you within the first couple months? 1 or 0 out of every how many frags???
I know the health of the acquired frag matters. Let’s say at worst, the color looks good day one but no PE in the bag on arrival, as a worst case scenario.

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming 10 acro frags from a high quality source, I'd say on average 9 of them would still be alive after 2 months.

I've also had some luck salvaging frags where I catch the tissue death early (maybe the first or second night), frag the tips, dip in iodine and then remount. This works maybe 50% of the time. You end up with a much smaller frag but alive is alive!

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These replies make me feel a little better, I'm 8-months into a new tank and purposely started with a lot of KP aquatics rock and some IPSF biodiversity to avoid sps issues I had with my last tanks dry rock start up. I have 6-acros in my new tank and the latest being a couple weeks old and struggling a little bit now, the previous 5 are fine. For the last 4-days, every morning I expect to see an all white frag, but so far its still hanging in there.
This reminds me of many years ago before I took a long break, I had a thriving sps tank, but for some reason I just couldn't keep an ORA Pearlberry. Just one of those things, I guess.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they meant “to” reduce stress. Speaking of which what does everybody do for acclamation, before dipping?
I Float to temperature - put the coral with its water in a red plastic cup - then add my tanks water To fill the other half of the cup - wait 10 minutes

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they meant “to” reduce stress. Speaking of which what does everybody do for acclamation, before dipping?
I Float to temperature - put the coral with its water in a red plastic cup - then add my tanks water To fill the other half of the cup - wait 10 minutes
Temp acclimate and put it my qt.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just temp float for 15 mins. Don’t know why some people acclimate them like fish?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back