OP
S

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the salty world. You have planned ahead and got some great equipment. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Thanks! Glad to be here! Looking forward to the adventure!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the add! Greetings from Huntsville AL (any local reefers?). Just getting started after a 22 year break so I guess I would be considered a newbie again. Had several tanks while in the military from 20G all the way to 125G. Mostly African Cichlids and Oscar's. Turned my 55 into saltwater and loved it. Deployments ruined that quickly but I have always wanted to set up another one. Been doing research for the past month and realized I did everything wrong in 2000. Lol. I have a 150G and looking to add all of the bells and whistles to make this as efficient as possible. I have an Apex and 2 more Ecotech lights on order and waiting patiently. Don't plan on asking a lot of newbie questions (forum search works great), but I'm sure I will be asking for opinions. Let the journey begin!

I plan to post my build in the build thread. Already started.

20220717_195956.jpg
Welcome back! There's definitely been a lot of changes over the past 22 years. This is a great community to jump back in with though.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the add! Greetings from Huntsville AL (any local reefers?). Just getting started after a 22 year break so I guess I would be considered a newbie again. Had several tanks while in the military from 20G all the way to 125G. Mostly African Cichlids and Oscar's. Turned my 55 into saltwater and loved it. Deployments ruined that quickly but I have always wanted to set up another one. Been doing research for the past month and realized I did everything wrong in 2000. Lol. I have a 150G and looking to add all of the bells and whistles to make this as efficient as possible. I have an Apex and 2 more Ecotech lights on order and waiting patiently. Don't plan on asking a lot of newbie questions (forum search works great), but I'm sure I will be asking for opinions. Let the journey begin!

I plan to post my build in the build thread. Already started.

20220717_195956.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. Thank you for your service!

Excited you already considered starting your build thread! I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
S

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Thank you for your service!

Excited you already considered starting your build thread! I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks!! Great links!

OP
OP
S

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!!! You will find lots of knowledge here in these pages! There has been so mech that has changed since the last time you were in the hobby so don't be afraid to ask if you need help.
I just posted a question in the lighting forum. I have a low profile hood and have 3 Radion G6’s mounted to the hood. Worried about heat and if I should add computer fans to help move air

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted a question in the lighting forum. I have a low profile hood and have 3 Radion G6’s mounted to the hood. Worried about heat and if I should add computer fans to help move air

Here is a canopy lighting ventilation trick that I've not yet shared with others:

where lights hang/mount in your canopy, there is likely a bit of space between canopy material itself and the light - in my case, I have a rail lights are mounted on and then rail is mounted to canopy. SO, I took canopy off tank, measured where lights were located, then removed lights. Drilled hole where each light was (used door latch type bit/saw). Re-mounted lights. Hot air rises, so it can escape up, around light and then out canopy hole. Dust can't fall into tank because light blocks straight down. This works for me and perhaps it works for you.

First track your temperatures and see if you even have anything to 'worry' about. Then, decide if you need to do anything. Perhaps you don't. If you do, then there are multiple ways to deal with temperature, but first its best to know your baseline temperature is holding and compare that with what you would like your temperature to be holding.

Good luck to you!

OP
OP
S

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a canopy lighting ventilation trick that I've not yet shared with others:

where lights hang/mount in your canopy, there is likely a bit of space between canopy material itself and the light - in my case, I have a rail lights are mounted on and then rail is mounted to canopy. SO, I took canopy off tank, measured where lights were located, then removed lights. Drilled hole where each light was (used door latch type bit/saw). Re-mounted lights. Hot air rises, so it can escape up, around light and then out canopy hole. Dust can't fall into tank because light blocks straight down. This works for me and perhaps it works for you.

First track your temperatures and see if you even have anything to 'worry' about. Then, decide if you need to do anything. Perhaps you don't. If you do, then there are multiple ways to deal with temperature, but first its best to know your baseline temperature is holding and compare that with what you would like your temperature to be holding.

Good luck to you!
Awesome! Great info. I originally thought about cutting out the space to have the lights "recessed" in the hood so that the top of each light was fully outside of the hood. I decided against that, and will see what my temps are once I get the lights on and see if it's even an issue. I may still install the 2 fans I have from another project just to have them in there and can plug in if needed. Thanks!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back