New again after many years.

Brian Sobolewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
re-entering keeping fish after many years (20 plus). A lot has changed. I have a 65 gal reef tank, Fluval 305, 3 power heads, protein skimmer, UV sterilizer.
Regal Tang
Bicolor Blenny
Bicolor dwarf angel
Pseudochromis
Goby
Valentini Puffer
2 oscellaris clown
Cleaning crew of about 30 snails(various) hermit crabs red and blue and a few small star fish.
Everything was going awesome and now I lost everything but the clowns.
Cleaning crew is is great. Local LFS
Is no help, they say wait it out.
Any suggestions?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Tell us little more about the tank. How long has it been running? How was it cycled? Where fish added at once or over some period of time? The more details the better.

OP
OP
B

Brian Sobolewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 1 1/2 years, maybe a little more, Live rock cycled 6 weekend before 1st fish, added over time.
Sal. 1.023, kH 8-9 (LFS says 13), Ammon, Nitrates, nitrites undetectable, pH 8.1(been 8.4) calcium 300, temp 76 measured from three areas of tank. Fish being fed combinatio of flake, green seaweed, frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor (1).gif

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 1 1/2 years, maybe a little more, Live rock cycled 6 weekend before 1st fish, added over time.
Sal. 1.023, kH 8-9 (LFS says 13), Ammon, Nitrates, nitrites undetectable, pH 8.1(been 8.4) calcium 300, temp 76 measured from three areas of tank. Fish being fed combinatio of flake, green seaweed, frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

When was the last fish put in tank, which fish was it, and how long after that did you start losing fish? Were the fish quarantined at all?

OP
OP
B

Brian Sobolewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r!! As above did u qt the fish at all? Did they show any symptoms before they dies....heavy breathing,spots,flashing against rocks?
The blenny just died. No warning. Went to sleep and he was in his normal sleeping spot, dead the next morning. Same with the angel but in 24 hours went from swimming around to hiding in a rock. He was actually wedged in a rock. Almost impossible to get out. Regal Tang had white spots and rubbing against rocks then body started turning white.Goby went from light yellow to almost white with white spots and a black spot mid section, appears internal. Died next day. Goby did spend a lot of time at top of tank perched on a power head. Puffer went white spots and then clear several times then died. Had one clown get white spots then clear a couple days later. Older clown never showed any signs.

OP
OP
B

Brian Sobolewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet...they went so fast.
If that is the case; will it always be in the tank? Or how long do I wait to begin restocking? The two clowns appear to be fine. The snails, blue and red leg crabs are going nuts growing and active. Same as the Conch and the little star fish that came out of the love rock.
Or do I need to just tear it down, clean everything and start from scratch?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back