New Again

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I used to have a 45g diamond front and a 75g fowlr tank over a decade ago

took plunge again and have a 55g breeder essentially, can’t drill it.

down the line I will get a sump and what not but for time being are there any HoB fuge boxes that are worthwhile? I’ve seen some breeder boxes that can double as them too

what are some pitfalls to setting up in tank using acrylic or glass baffles? I can take my time with this build and do not want to rush anything

any feedback is appreciated
Welcome!

I'm Lisa and here in metroplex too! Our local club DFWMAS is pretty active, so that is another resource for you if you are looking for used equipment. Recently saw some sumps and tanks offered, if you wanted to use HoB plumbing to go to/from sump and have refugium. j

Smart to take your time on build, but defer to others on your baffle question

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby! Re the question of glass versus acrylic baffles, one of the issues I've heard of is that suspended acrylic baffles in a glass tank can fall. If the acrylic baffle is resting on the bottom of the glass tank, then silicone can usually hold it vertical. But if you want to suspend an acrylic baffle in a glass tank, the silicone is often not strong enough to hold it in place, so you need to put small supports under it to hold it up.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome back minions GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I used to have a 45g diamond front and a 75g fowlr tank over a decade ago

took plunge again and have a 55g breeder essentially, can’t drill it.

down the line I will get a sump and what not but for time being are there any HoB fuge boxes that are worthwhile? I’ve seen some breeder boxes that can double as them too

what are some pitfalls to setting up in tank using acrylic or glass baffles? I can take my time with this build and do not want to rush anything

any feedback is appreciated
Welcome to the salty family Phil! My experience is stronger in sumps, so I'll defer to the HOB guys. Just wanted to send some words of encouragement!
Meh Goat GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also going to have a 4-6” deep sand bed with two clusters/mountains on each side of center brace where rock will be built up

I have about 50lbs of dry rock, 30lbs of used dry rock from an established tank (not sure I’d call it live from pics) and another 25-30 lbs of Fiji rock

I already have two hob units that will be fuge like areas...

Would two xr15 be overkill for this tank? Would an ap700 be enough for corals (sps)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Two XR should be fine

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I'm Lisa and here in metroplex too! Our local club DFWMAS is pretty active, so that is another resource for you if you are looking for used equipment. Recently saw some sumps and tanks offered, if you wanted to use HoB plumbing to go to/from sump and have refugium. j

Smart to take your time on build, but defer to others on your baffle question
Hello Lisa! I used to be a paying member over a decade ago, I signed up to be a member again, waiting to see how things have changed before joining formally again.

I live near dfw airport, do you know of a good place to find local established sand? I have a few bags coming from stores but I was hoping someone local had some from an established tank I could buy. Any help is appreciated

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Lisa! I used to be a paying member over a decade ago, I signed up to be a member again, waiting to see how things have changed before joining formally again.

I live near dfw airport, do you know of a good place to find local established sand? I have a few bags coming from stores but I was hoping someone local had some from an established tank I could buy. Any help is appreciated
I will PM you if you'd like some from my tank; free baggie & curbside pickup.

I've spent months getting my tank clean but of course no guarantees.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updating status, one xr15 pro and some LR in need of cleaning... most of the sand and other LR is arriving tomorrow and Thursday

you could say things are getting pretty serious

B00A23B5-B4AF-4897-A2EA-359DBD428187.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back