New Apex 2016..... LOL

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never bothered to calibrate my cond prob. I thought the absolute number was not that helpful it was the trends in the graph that was important to follow. Please educate me and I will calibrate it

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex 2 me 0......

I think i will try tomorrow to get it to work again.... :p
I am happy I had no plans for this whole weekend!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at the email my apex just sent me...
Failed: 2016-07-01 21:39:30 (2016-07-02 01:39:30 UTC)
Restored: 1969-12-31 20:00:00 (1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC)

Yes the new apex is going to be taken off my system and replaced with my old gold. I do not trust the new apex at all and would not recommend buying one until they work out some issues.

I think you need a weekend support staff as I am not available between 9-5 on weekdays as I work for a living...

I will think long and hard about where I would like to go from here... I am honestly thinking about returning both systems....

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready for round 3 of the apex rewire...

Local.Apex is working great but not updating data points. This is good and bad as i can at least program the apex to do what it wants but then hope Fusion is connected to get a data node.

I will not be returning the the new apex's as i believe this is just software and will be fixed down the road. I will just have to wait and just use it as a local controller for now.

Overall though I am very disappointed in Neptune as I did not pay to be a part of a open beta. I however will give praise to there customer service crew as I can only imagine the phone calls they are getting. As i know this is not a isolated incident.

here is the latest error as of right now:

Communication Error

{"username":"","display":{"covers":"touch"},"_id":"268d17680003067b","errorCode":501,"errorMessage":""}

:) it will work some day I know it will..

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side not I keep getting this email :)... I was not even alive in 1970 so I don't know how my apex power was restored......
ailed: 2016-07-02 10:28:27 (2016-07-02 14:28:27 UTC)
Restored: 1969-12-31 20:00:00 (1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC)

den75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why I'm not the first kid on the block to run out and buy the latest and greatest. I'd rather not be the one to go through all of the pain while all the kinks get worked out.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of hundreds shipped, only a handful are having this issue. I can assure you many of us are working through the holiday weekend to resolve their issues (or any others that pop up) to the best of our abilities. I believe even Elder received another reach out late yesterday so we can help him get this resolved. Despite many thousands of hours of testing there always seems to be a couple of things that pop up with a new product. We are doing our best to help the few that have an issue.

aquaterra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...my Neptune just bricked itself when I tried to update the firmware. Of course during the long Holiday weekend. I can't even reach local now and my EB32 is blinking orange and I can't do anything about it. This is very frustrating.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of hundreds shipped, only a handful are having this issue. I can assure you many of us are working through the holiday weekend to resolve their issues (or any others that pop up) to the best of our abilities. I believe even Elder received another reach out late yesterday so we can help him get this resolved. Despite many thousands of hours of testing there always seems to be a couple of things that pop up with a new product. We are doing our best to help the few that have an issue.

Terence I am probably one of the biggest Neptune fan boys out there.... Just look at my apex board and you tube video with 50K+ hits parsing Apex. Yes you support team is amazing and almost all of your product are.

I am annoyed at this situation as I don't have this apex hooked up to a 40 gallon breeder but a 16 foot long reef tank with a lot of money but more importantly TIME invested.

I am still a big fanboy of Neptune and apex and would not switch to any other. I had a youtube interview setup for this new apex install with a new back light mounting board. It is quite disheartening when a plan completely falls apart.

I would hope and kinda know you guys are working like crazy to fix and resolve issues that pop up.. I also know that you will end up fixing them all and I will love the new apex.

The frustration comes in with how this apex was launched, not selling the EB 832 alone or just the head unit at launch and now issues with the new unit.

I enjoy this forum as it is somewhere i can vent and not lose my mind hunched over under my tank rewiring for 3 days. I can come here blow off some steam and talk to others.

In the end I love Neptune and the apex brand as a company and product and will still even with this hick up. I will support and buy Neptune gear for as long as I am in the hobby. This all said I can not recommend a product to anyone just yet that I have seen or personally had a success with.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elder1945.... I also got a new apex, mine was not reading the temp/cond/ph... I was just as upset as you. Contacted them last sunday and they quickly got back to me. They are replacing my brain unit. Growing pains. I was told by the cust rep they are working on getting these issues corrected. Soon we will see a new firmware update.

On how you approached this issue.... You have this big Apex logo on the stand and swear love for the brand, but called the product garbage without giving them a chance to help you fix it...im not trying to pile on you with this as you have enough on your plate, but you should know bugs happen with new computers.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I am a hobbyist too. I can relate to the pain some of you may be experiencing. I have been there. Check out my build thread on R2R on my 425g if you like.

To do a gut check myself I brought home a system yesterday straight from stock. Pulled out my alpha-rev system I have affectionately call "one". Installed the new one this morning and went through about 90% of my configuration work. Everything is working well so far - I went through many of the settings - WAV - DOS etc.

49bfb8ffaa8522a9b949db15e7113005.jpg
One thing for sure though if you are a new user and are reading this before install - make sure your first step after connecting to the home network is to do a AOS update. (Firmware)

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elder1945.... I also got a new apex, mine was not reading the temp/cond/ph... I was just as upset as you. Contacted them last sunday and they quickly got back to me. They are replacing my brain unit. Growing pains. I was told by the cust rep they are working on getting these issues corrected. Soon we will see a new firmware update.

On how you approached this issue.... You have this big Apex logo on the stand and swear love for the brand, but called the product garbage without giving them a chance to help you fix it...im not trying to pile on you with this as you have enough on your plate, but you should know bugs happen with new computers.

I understand how it can look.... I own a business that custom manufactures quite a bit of things. We also do large scale roll outs for many stores in Canada and the US. I think the last one we just finished was 230 locations. At no point could i have sold something to my clients and it not work as advertised and tell them "sorry its growing pains" or "its new what do you expect" .. I have patience and I do understand how the electronic side of things can work but does not mean I accept it. I have thousands upon thousands in apex gear and I don't expect issues. If I wanted issues I would have picked up a cheaper alternative.

The same thing is said about PC development in gaming.... There is always bugs when game's are launched and you have to accept it... Now though one of the largest distributors of PC video games had a no question ask return policy as many developers use this excuse of "well its new so there will be bugs". I now return games that are unplayable and or don't reach my full expectation. Why as a consumer or a client or a customer be negatively affected by a perches of any kind.

Also to state that it is garbage is true.. When i plunged it in and tried to set the apex up it didn't have a minor issues it had a major breaking issue that rendered it useless. Now 2 days later from originally trying to setting it up I have a product that I can use.

Am i happy that Neptune has a great support system? Yes! I would expect nothing less as the new apex in Canada cost $1,100.
Do I think the new apex is garbage now? no not so much it works kinda now.
Does this somehow excuse them? No... my view and trust in Neptune has taken a dive... I was not happy to begin with on how they launched this system among other things.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand your frustration Elder. I have felt the same frustration across the years as an early adopter for Apple, KitchenAid, Saeco, Sony, and Nikon to name a few. It was not much of a consolation to me either that my problems were not the norm across the board. However, the reality is that each of those products where I was disappointed were very complex, new to the market products from reputable brands - and the likelihood of 100% no-failure rate would just not have been reasonable. For some of them they responded exceptionally and for that I still have confidence in them. For a couple of them it was likely my last purchase as they did not accept the issue nor did they respond in an expedient way. For me, that is where the real difference lies because there will always be issues.

Stay in touch with support and we will get this cleared up for you.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I am a hobbyist too. I can relate to the pain some of you may be experiencing. I have been there. Check out my build thread on R2R on my 425g if you like.

To do a gut check myself I brought home a system yesterday straight from stock. Pulled out my alpha-rev system I have affectionately call "one". Installed the new one this morning and went through about 90% of my configuration work. Everything is working well so far - I went through many of the settings - WAV - DOS etc.

49bfb8ffaa8522a9b949db15e7113005.jpg
One thing for sure though if you are a new user and are reading this before install - make sure your first step after connecting to the home network is to do a AOS update. (Firmware)

how did you get 2 eb832?? :p I had to buy 2 full apex systems to get mine :)

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand your frustration Elder. I have felt the same frustration across the years as an early adopter for Apple, KitchenAid, Saeco, Sony, and Nikon to name a few. It was not much of a consolation to me either that my problems were not the norm across the board. However, the reality is that each of those products where I was disappointed were very complex, new to the market products from reputable brands - and the likelihood of 100% no-failure rate would just not have been reasonable. For some of them they responded exceptionally and for that I still have confidence in them. For a couple of them it was likely my last purchase as they did not accept the issue nor did they respond in an expedient way. For me, that is where the real difference lies because there will always be issues.

Stay in touch with support and we will get this cleared up for you.

Thank you and no matter how I felt and or feel about this situation I still support Neptune... Just wait till you see my new mounting board. Also, I am keeping my 2 units I have bought and will be picking up everything else you release. So in the end you still have a loyal customer.

I do thank your support team and engineers and you for supporting your product so well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 104 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back