New ATI Power Module vs 3 Radion G4 Pro

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, went to get tape measure after post. Efficiency is not my strong suit. Tank is 26x24x72
24" front to back should fit the 8 bulb then. It is slightly overkill but like I said, I don't think the 6 bulb LED Powermodule is coming to the US and that's a shame IMO.

I personally think you'll be much happier with the hybrid system over straight LED. That was my experience at least. And Bulk Reef Supply is currently testing the standard of changing of T5s every 9-12 months. It looks like that may be a total waste and we can go much longer (18-24 months) between bulb changes

OP
OP
MillerR.

MillerR.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24" front to back should fit the 8 bulb then. It is slightly overkill but like I said, I don't think the 6 bulb LED Powermodule is coming to the US and that's a shame IMO.

I personally think you'll be much happier with the hybrid system over straight LED. That was my experience at least. And Bulk Reef Supply is currently testing the standard of changing of T5s every 9-12 months. It looks like that may be a total waste and we can go much longer (18-24 months) between bulb changes

Thanks. I had an 8 bulb non-hybrid but it starting smoking not long after I got it so took it offline and put my 6 bulb back above tank. I wanted to get as much coverage and par as possible. I also wanted to get the hybrid to take advantage of the the dusk to dawn and to use the LED to add more blue. Not an expert on lighting so I may be completely off base with what I am wanting to do.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it's worthy the money to get the hybrid. Specially because the tank only 24" tall.
I think it's a waste of money... really!
But if you have the money and really want...
Grandis.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it's worthy the money to get the hybrid. Specially because the tank only 24" tall.
I think it's a waste of money... really!
But if you have the money and really want...
Grandis.

Most people get the hybrid not for lighting power, but for shimmer. So you're spending money for how things look, which is what most people do in life anyways. So I would not call that a waste.

OP
OP
MillerR.

MillerR.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. While we want healthy animals under our care, we spend a lot of money in the hobby to make our tanks look beautiful.

Most people get the hybrid not for lighting power, but for shimmer. So you're spending money for how things look, which is what most people do in life anyways. So I would not call that a waste.

OP
OP
MillerR.

MillerR.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fixture do you have? Is the 8 bulb overkill from a par perspective or overall size for my tank? Again, I get confused easily in this lighting conversation.

Oh, ok.. in that case...
I have only ATIs all tubes here...

Aloha!
Grandis.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If sps is what you keep then the power module is the best light for me. If mix Reef then I go with radion because of the adjustability. The power module will give u the strongest par across your whole tank even on the sand bed.

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From my experience whenever t5s are running you will get no shimmer. The t5s are just to overpowering. U only get shimmer when t5s are gone

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went with all LED fixtures because of heat and bulb changes. I also use about 50% of the power.
If money is no object, then heat, bulb changes and energy including the need for a chiller do not matter my choice would be combo Metal Halide, T-5, LED. I love the looks of the ATI fixtures and they can grow corals, The added led modules add to the appeal. I run LED fixtures from Orphek and they have run flawless so far for for 4 years. Spend time looking at various tanks find what appeals to you and ask people even on here what they dislike about their fixtures then make a decision and don't look back. All good fixtures grow corals.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went with all LED fixtures because of heat and bulb changes. I also use about 50% of the power.
If money is no object, then heat, bulb changes and energy including the need for a chiller do not matter my choice would be combo Metal Halide, T-5, LED. I love the looks of the ATI fixtures and they can grow corals, The added led modules add to the appeal. I run LED fixtures from Orphek and they have run flawless so far for for 4 years. Spend time looking at various tanks find what appeals to you and ask people even on here what they dislike about their fixtures then make a decision and don't look back. All good fixtures grow corals.

Keep in mind these days the LED fixtures are getting so powerful many are comparable in power consumption to a T5 fixture.

For example, on say a 48" tank you could do a 6x54w Sunpower at 324w or you could do 2 Radion Gen 4 Pro at 380w. You may not run it at 100%, but the point is LED fixtures are getting into comparable territory with many T5 options. Clearly if you went to an 8 bulb or an LED Powermodule it would go up, but you'd have more PAR too ( at least with the Powermodule).

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fixture do you have? Is the 8 bulb overkill from a par perspective or overall size for my tank? Again, I get confused easily in this lighting conversation.
I have an old style ATI Power Module, which is a T5 only fixture, because when I bought my fixture there was no LEDs in the market yet!!
I still run that very fixture today without any issues. Today they call that fixture ATI SunPower, the one without any LEDs. All T5s. That's what I would suggest to you if you want to get the most simple and efficient fixture there is. You don't have to worry about anything but choose the colors of the bulbs you want, install them, plug and enjoy!
The ATI 8 bulb all T5s is 58.5" X 17.5" and costs only $711.95

207767-ati-sunpower-a_1_1.jpg

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/60-ati-sunpower-high-output-t5-light-fixture.html

Now... If you are one of those people that HAVE to have those blue LEDs or whatever the computer plays with the LEDs and get too much money in your pocket... you could try the ATI 8 bulb + LED fixture. Up to you...
The ATI 8 bulb + LED is 58" X 20.4" for the small little price of $2,432.95 ;Jawdrop

pm-stock-4_ars_7.jpg

pm-stock-4_rs_9.jpg
209509_ati_led_t5_48inch-d.jpg

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ati-60-led-t5-powermodule-hybrid.html

Is that worthy to get the LEDs? Not for the PAR, when you choose the right bulbs! All that extra money???
8 T5HO tubes are more than enough to keep the highest of all Acropora corals more than happy!! Proved for many years!!!

I personally would get the ATI T5 only 8 bulbs and enjoy it. That 8 bulb fixture will give you exactly what you need with a great choice of PAR combination and spectrum at the right price. So you can get more Acros with the $1,721.00 ;Greedy

Now you can decide!;Nailbiting

Grandis.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back