New ATI Power Module vs 3 Radion G4 Pro

MillerR.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering up grading my 60" 6 bulb to this with 8 bulbs. The price is basically what i would pay for 3 radion G4! Which option would you choose?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size tank and what are the stocking plans? The 8 bulb may be complete overkill and the 4 bulb may work better. I wish they would carry the 6 bulb version here in the US. Pretty sure you can import it though if you wanted to go through that

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What size tank and what are the stocking plans? The 8 bulb may be complete overkill and the 4 bulb may work better. I wish they would carry the 6 bulb version here in the US. Pretty sure you can import it though if you wanted to go through that
You could just get the 8 bulb fixture and run only 6 bulbs; you know, defeat planned obsolescence

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could just get the 8 bulb fixture and run only 6 bulbs; you know, defeat planned obsolescence
Certainly could but you'll have to hope it's wired for that. You can't just pick any 2 slots and not run them. You have to find the two that are wired to the same ballast and not run them. Then we're hoping the fixture will actually run like that. ATI would have to answer all that though.

An 8 bulb LED Powermodule is a massive light. It can easily light up 30+ inches front to back. If you only have a 24" tank, it's pointless.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering up grading my 60" 6 bulb to this with 8 bulbs. The price is basically what i would pay for 3 radion G4! Which option would you choose?

I much prefer a single fixture over the tank, since I have rimless. Plus the extra storage for power supplies 3x g4 would need.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you kidding?!?
Of course I would go with the 8 bulb ATI SunPower!! It's 17.5 inches wide and you will be just crazy with the combination you can have over that tank!! So many options of spectrum choices.. The more the bulbs the better...
No need LEDs. No need the extra money with the new Power Module with the LEDs, if the tank is up to 24" high.
I had a 48inch 8 bulb ATI old style Power Module before (tubes only), when I had my 125gal., and it was wild!!! I loved it!!
I had to sell that system because of the space here...
Now I have a 6 bulb ATI Power Module and a 6 bulb ATI SunPower over my 75 gal. tanks. Love 'em!!
ATI T5s fixtures are the very best you can get for shallow tanks!!!
Go for it!
Grandis.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm...
I think you are confused..
He wants to upgrade from 6 bulbs to an 8 bulb fixture.
He probably already measured the space over the tank to consider the 8 bulb fixture. It's 17.5 wide.
They do carry the 6 and the 8 bulb versions in US.
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... he would miss the chance of creating the dusk effect with the blue lights.
Besides... it doesn't make sense to spend the money with a new fixture if that's already what he has there.
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly could but you'll have to hope it's wired for that. You can't just pick any 2 slots and not run them. You have to find the two that are wired to the same ballast and not run them. Then we're hoping the fixture will actually run like that. ATI would have to answer all that though.

An 8 bulb LED Powermodule is a massive light. It can easily light up 30+ inches front to back. If you only have a 24" tank, it's pointless.
They have distinct channels on the SunPower. One with 2 bulbs and another with 6 bulbs. They are independent.
No need LEDs. No need the new Power Module.
Waste of money.
The SunPower is enough for any tank 24" deep. more than 24" high, then will need more power..
Grandis.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hummm...
I think you are confused..
He wants to upgrade from 6 bulbs to an 8 bulb fixture.
He probably already measured the space over the tank to consider the 8 bulb fixture. It's 17.5 wide.
They do carry the 6 and the 8 bulb versions in US.
Grandis.
Nope, not confused.

If the OP currently has a 6 bulb T5 fixture I'm going to bet the tank is 18-24" front to back. The 8 bulb LED Powermodule is too big for a tank this wide. It is meant for tanks 30" front to back or else you just waste a ton of light.

Not surprised by your responses though. Par for the course with you

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Nope, not confused.

If the OP currently has a 6 bulb T5 fixture I'm going to bet the tank is 18-24" front to back. The 8 bulb LED Powermodule is too big for a tank this wide. It is meant for tanks 30" front to back or else you just waste a ton of light.

Not surprised by your responses though. Par for the course with you

I have an ati dimmable...
I’m sure it’s even more simple with these new fixtures since everything is cloud based.
You simply don’t run a channel, duh
The led clusters can handle your dusk/dawn ramps

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an ati dimmable...
I’m sure it’s even more simple with these new fixtures since everything is cloud based.
You simply don’t run a channel, duh
The led clusters can handle your dusk/dawn ramps
Of course it's that simple. I had the original LED Powermodule over my tank for quite a while.

But, assuming the OP has an 18-24" wide tank they will not want to use bulbs 1 and 8 since those will be a major waste and spend more time lighting the floor than the tank. I'm not sure how the new 8 bulb unit is wired. Are bulbs 1 and 8 on the same channel? If they aren't, then again it's a total waste depending on tank size.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Of course it's that simple. I had the original LED Powermodule over my tank for quite a while.

But, assuming the OP has an 18-24" wide tank they will not want to use bulbs 1 and 8 since those will be a major waste and spend more time lighting the floor than the tank. I'm not sure how the new 8 bulb unit is wired. Are bulbs 1 and 8 on the same channel? If they aren't, then again it's a total waste depending on tank size.
Yes, that is true.
Plus it would look weird because the fixture would be wider than the tank, but since OP was harking on the 6 bulb fixtures not being available in North America, I figured my original suggestion would be a possibility

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, that is true.
Plus it would look weird because the fixture would be wider than the tank, but since OP was harking on the 6 bulb fixtures not being available in North America, I figured my original suggestion would be a possibility
The OP didn't harp on the lack of 6 bulb fixtures. I mentioned in my comment to the OP that I wish the 6 bulb LED Powermodule would be sold here in the US as well

OP
OP
MillerR.

MillerR.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

200 gallon SPS dominant.

OP
OP
MillerR.

MillerR.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is true.
Wasn't me "harping" on availability. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back