New Blue Throat not eating

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He arrived yesterday from DD and has been entertaining to say the least... but hasn’t eaten. Fed the tank last night and he didn’t eat. First and second feeding today he didn’t eat again. Third/final meal today he chewed a couple pieces but spit it out.
Should I be concerned or just calm down? This is my first trigger.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you feed, I know DD feeds alot of mysis. He's out and about which is a good sign, because tbese guys can stress easy and will.tend to hide alot in the beginning. There's no need to panick, give it another day.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calm down. I had a bluethroat go a MONTH before eating for the first time in my tank. It hid behind the rockwork and I had to coax it to eat buy puffing mysis shrimp around with a turkey baster. Like I said, that took a month.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you feed, I know DD feeds alot of mysis. He's out and about which is a good sign, because tbese guys can stress easy and will.tend to hide alot in the beginning. There's no need to panick, give it another day.
PE Mysis, PE Calanus, Rod’s Fish Eggs all soaked in Selcon. He also showed interest in nori I have out for my Tang, but didn’t bite. I’m placing an order for krill, small silversides, and squid to add to my feeding and since it’s on the DD feeding chart for triggers. Any pro, cons, or other things I might introduce?

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calm down. I had a bluethroat go a MONTH before eating for the first time in my tank. It hid behind the rockwork and I had to coax it to eat buy puffing mysis shrimp around with a turkey baster. Like I said, that took a month.
Oh my!! I did have to move some rocks around so he could fit in them. It where he slept and is out cruising the rest of the day.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine chowed down on littleneck clams from the grocery store. He would buried his face in the clam and make that snapping sound eating away. I would try the clams if it still does not eat in a few days.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine chowed down on littleneck clams from the grocery store. He would buried his face in the clam and make that snapping sound eating away. I would try the clams if it still does not eat in a few days.
I read about others doing that too. I saw hobby branded clams online but thought about checking locally first.
Do you put them on the sand bed or up on a rock?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis, PE Calanus, Rod’s Fish Eggs all soaked in Selcon. He also showed interest in nori I have out for my Tang, but didn’t bite. I’m placing an order for krill, small silversides, and squid to add to my feeding and since it’s on the DD feeding chart for triggers. Any pro, cons, or other things I might introduce?

That's plenty of a variety, I'm sure he'll find something he'll like, they can be timid eaters. One of mine is more timid than the other, but I wouldn't say either one was an aggressive eater.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about others doing that too. I saw hobby branded clams online but thought about checking locally first.
Do you put them on the sand bed or up on a rock?
For mine, it didn't matter if it was on the sand bed or I also clipped my clam with the Two Little Fishes Mega Veggie-Mag feeding clip - same reaction and result. I actually sold the blue throat last week because he was making my Yellow Belly Regal Angel skinny.

The Regal Angel said to get him outta the tank:

IMG_20200415_140552.jpg

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Mine's eating Reef Frenzy, Mysis, and he loves half shell clams. He eats non-stop when there is food in the tank. He is very skittish even after months of being in the tank. If I put my hand anywhere near the top of the tank or god forbid in the tank, he's in the cave in 2 seconds flat. I think for you he's just settling in right now.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's eating Reef Frenzy, Mysis, and he loves half shell clams. He eats non-stop when there is food in the tank. He is very skittish even after months of being in the tank. If I put my hand anywhere near the top of the tank or god forbid in the tank, he's in the cave in 2 seconds flat. I think for you he's just settling in right now.
It’s cool to see their personalities vary so much. Mine is the exact opposite. He won’t eat anything, but is the most social fish I’ve ever had.

Update: he chewed and spit out Mysis this morning. I ordered a few other types of frozen foods and plan to see what my local seafood counter has today.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried silversides today. No Go. He is still out and swimming all day long with minor aggression from my Purple Tang, but nothing but a quick chase here and there. He mainly paces one side of my 55in. tank. He’s still plump but not interested in food.
*taking deep breaths often* *wooo saaa*

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY blue throat didn’t eat for 2 weeks. Then he only started showing interest and spitting it back out. Almost 3 wks before he actaually consumed the food normally. Stay the course....feed mysis and meaty foods. He’ll start to eat in coming days...

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY blue throat didn’t eat for 2 weeks. Then he only started showing interest and spitting it back out. Almost 3 wks before he actaually consumed the food normally. Stay the course....feed mysis and meaty foods. He’ll start to eat in coming days...
Thank you for the support!! I tried silversides yesterday, and he wanted nothing to do with it. I’m keeping calm and like you said “staying the course.” Thanks again.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week to the day he started twitching and swimming weird. He later died. I was able to get credit from Live Aquaria, but it really sucks since he was my kids fave.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 126 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back