New branching hammer becoming slightly translucent on some polyps

Turner Dischinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a green and purple branching hammer at my lfs 2 days ago. They have good quality coral so I do not think I am just getting a trash frag. The hammer has 2 small heads and is only about a inch or two. I put it in my sand bed to acclimate it for about a week. However, a day after I got it I looked at the polyps and some towards the bottom are a bit thinner and lack a lot of color that the other polyps have. It is not completely translucent in those few in those polyps but it does concern me. I have not seen it expelled any zoanthelli and has been opened and extended ever sense I put it in my tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Turner

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a green and purple branching hammer at my lfs 2 days ago. They have good quality coral so I do not think I am just getting a trash frag. The hammer has 2 small heads and is only about a inch or two. I put it in my sand bed to acclimate it for about a week. However, a day after I got it I looked at the polyps and some towards the bottom are a bit thinner and lack a lot of color that the other polyps have. It is not completely translucent in those few in those polyps but it does concern me. I have not seen it expelled any zoanthelli and has been opened and extended ever sense I put it in my tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Turner
What lighting do you have over it. It may take a couple days to a week for it to adapt to your lighting system. Any pictures as well as your water parameters if you can :)

OP
OP
T

Turner Dischinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank crabs. I have a AI prime hd over it in a eve 13.5. The settings are in the 30s for the blue spectrums including UV and V. White is 19 and red and green are at 3. I have moved the hammer about a inch or two on to the rock where I hope that it will stay happily. It is in lower moderate indirect flow. My parameters are as follows
Alk at 9 with red sea test
Calcium is mostly around 450 with red sea test
Mag is a little bit low considering I like to keep my params on the higher side but it is at around 1300 last time I check with red sea test
Nitrates are around 4 with red sea test
Phosphate is undetectable with my API
I use kent salt with a 2 gallon change once or twice a week. I varies.
I realize that the corals change a bit and need time to adapt when put in a new tank, but is it normal for a couple of polyps to be slightly translucent? Other than a couple of polyps the coral looks absolutely great. I just want to make sure if this is something serious that I can stop it by not letting it get out of hand. Like I said earlier, I have yet to see it expell anything. Unfortunately, I did not see if there were a couple of polyps on it that were a bit clear while I was at the lfs so maybe it was like that already, but like I said before, the place I go to has great quality coral. Unfortunately I do not know how to post pictures yet but once I do figure out, I will post one tomorrow. Thanks

Turner

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back