New BTA melting

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just got 3 new BTA. I have them in QT in acclimation boxes. Two of them look great. One seems to be melting. Any thoughts?

Thanks
IMG_1719.jpeg

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there all in same tank with same parameters maybe try to give it some shade . Sometimes light reflection can cause a high par at surface.

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are they in acclimation boxes.
Just got them. I QT everything. Putting them acclimating boxes make's it easy to keep and eye on them, direct flow, etc... Eventually, much easier to remove them too. This is pretty similar to how the distributors keep them too.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got them. I QT everything. Putting them acclimating boxes make's it easy to keep and eye on them, direct flow, etc... Eventually, much easier to remove them too. This is pretty similar to how the distributors keep them too.
I’ve never seen a happy nem in a box lol.. let it be free and adapt to the tank naturally… vendors use baskets that have much better flow than them boxes.

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen a happy nem in a box lol.. let it be free and adapt to the tank naturally… vendors use baskets that have much better flow than them boxes.
Flow is run directly into the boxes. Lots of nems acclimated this way. The new in question was like this in the bag and same when went into tank. The other two that came into this shipment are great. No signs of foot damage and it's still moving a bit, so we'll see what happens.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let them out; I assume they're all the same type so give them some room to be happy :) Chances are that the other two have slightly different conditions that you can not assess.

My anemones love crisp and clean water; weekly water change day and I see a big change in them!

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a couple of days to see if it perks up. BTAs commonly do this when moving from one environment to another, and some do it quicker than others. In your case, hopefully this one is just taking a longer time to acclimate.

And in terms of the box, it should be fine. I've kept plenty of nems in boxes, many for long periods of time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back