OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intend to get the tank shipped next week; this week was just too crammed. I don't have any pics of the real thing yet, but here is the drawing.

Attachments

• 42284 Scott Beyer.t2d (1).pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note from the drawing that there are overflows on each end, 10 feet apart. My interim plan is to drop two of my existing 44" Trigger sumps underneath. one on each end. They are already drilled for a 2" connecting pipe so that the levels remain balanced. The overflows will dump pretty much straight down. Will run some existing COR 20 pumps as returns.

In the long run, I will have a 10' custom sump built. Large refugium, typical skimmer section, but mostly just room for tons of sump rock.

Socks or Roller Mat?

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty old picture, but you get the idea. It all works, but access around the back side of the tanks requires gymnastics and precise footwork to get around all the interconnecting plumbing and power cables.

IMG-4365.jpg
Man if somebody didn’t know any better they would think you were doing something illegal.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man if somebody didn’t know any better they would think you were doing something illegal.
As of this moment in CT, that would be a felony. About 2 miles north of here (NY state) it would be applauded.

Yes, I have had people comment who drive by often. The basement and the ground floor have a few lit up windows.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am here I will mention that the tank has been Fed Exd to a terminal about an hour away. I am renting a 15 foot U-Haul tomorrow. They will load it for me. Then I have to get it off the truck and into the garage for the night.

Who thinks I can figure out this transition solo? Eleven feet palleted, 375 lbs.

Tips? I am all ears.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am here I will mention that the tank has been Fed Exd to a terminal about an hour away. I am renting a 15 foot U-Haul tomorrow. They will load it for me. Then I have to get it off the truck and into the garage for the night.

Who thinks I can figure out this transition solo? Eleven feet palleted, 375 lbs.

Tips? I am all ears.

Ummm....
Are you a power lifter?
Forklift? I know you have something up your sleeve, lol...
Pictures my friend, many pictures!!!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solo’s gonna be the challenge. Otherwise, I’d get it on the tailgate, lower it down to about a foot off the ground and then coax it on to a couple of dollies. Then you can roll it into your garage.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm....
Are you a power lifter?
Forklift? I know you have something up your sleeve, lol...
Pictures my friend, many pictures!!!
At 165 lbs, I would not be competitive as a power lifter.
I checked into a forklift rental -- $545 delivered.
I will try harder on pictures. Never been good at that, but agree it does make these threads more engaging.
I moved mine with a 2 1/2ton jack and and a dolly. Granted it was a 100g tank.
I do have a couple of dollies and straps
Solo’s gonna be the challenge. Otherwise, I’d get it on the tailgate, lower it down to about a foot off the ground and then coax it on to a couple of dollies. Then you can roll it into your garage.

My thinking is:
a) Remove the pallet and packing in the truck; saves 75 lbs.
b) Back truck to garage door
c) Slide the tank half way out and tip the end down onto one dollie
d) Slide the tank further off the truck...

and then call for help. :p

The tank itself is really only about 300lbs, and I never need to lift more 1/2 that weight. And today I am not really lifting it, I am lowering it. Hopefully it is a low floor truck.

We will see how it goes. Randy, my LFS guy, can come by after 7pm if I get stuck.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you clarified, looked like you were building a campfire, lol, like what?
But a dang burger, under that tinder, ooh, building strength for the 10ft haul :)
How many pallets together?
Cause, that still looks like a pita.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made it home. Flipped it on its side. Cannot make it through the basement laying flat. Minor power lifting skills deployed at this point. Inch by inch is key. Correction -- leverage is key.

Please send Advil.

67269333654--05DB350B-5E5A-42EE-AC57-E0B9253514A3.jpg
That’s looking good. That metal ramp is key. Forgot about the UHauls having that.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you clarified, looked like you were building a campfire, lol, like what?
But a dang burger, under that tinder, ooh, building strength for the 10ft haul :)
How many pallets together?
Cause, that still looks like a pita.
Five guys Burgers & Fries. The heart attack special.

It was a single 11' pallet. Will keep the 11X2X4 and the rest is kindling for next winter.

I am not an engineer, but leverage is something I seem to get. Getting the tank DOWN from the truck was tedious but not physically difficult. All downhill. Getting the tank UP one half stair from the garage to basement took much more time as a solo.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first part was physically easy. Just had to think about the pivot points and make sure the tank was shielded on those points.

67269430077--C56FB808-C669-47D4-9E79-8454CF2CA94B.jpg

IMG-5862.jpg

Finally, a dolly is involved. That was a bit of a lift. Note the lifting straps make an appearance here. While the tank is ~300lbs, you are NOT lifting all of it. Leverage.

IMG-5864.jpg

Here is the tricky bit that almost got me in trouble. This view depicts things well. The side you are looking at (top) is featherweight. The cross members are 3/8.

However the bottom is 1" plus 3/8ths bracing all around. HUGE weight imbalance. When you are solo these things matter.

Getting to this point took an hour. Only moving an inch or so at a time and reassessing.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There she is safely in the garage. Note behind are the sheets of 1/2" AZEK that I will need to cut as bases for the tank and the sumps. Project for tomorrow morning.

67269726117--9C1FAD58-F25E-4170-9EF4-609ED8BA9166.jpg

So after weaving through the other part of the basement that is crowded with my existing tanks, temporary stock tank and slop sink, it is in position for lifting.

I plan to dry fit all the plumbing here -- everything I can do -- before moving existing over to the stock tank and breaking down existing. Look back for images of that.

IMG-5866.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the day was collecting plumbing parts. Who knew that unions are such a rarity. Order ahead. Needed 6 X 1.5 inch and 4 X 1 inch. Three stores needed to fill.

With the U-Haul yesterday I managed to gather the needed 1/2" expanded PVC sheets (ASEK) recommended by @Joe Glass Cages for the base plates. For both the tank and the sumps. Required a lot of ripping given my dimensions. Glad I youtubed that for the proper circular saw blade and safety notes. For a smooth cut edge, you generate A LOT of fine powder. A shower and a thorough vacuum were in order once all the cuts were done.
IMG-5869.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The base plates (white panels) are done. I still have some vacuuming to do. Sawdust stays were you expect. This stuff goes everywhere. Still sneezing.

This pic is missing the final 2 foot panel but all is complete now. Time to lift the tank onto the stand so I can dry fit the plumbing and Synergy overflows.

67279719413--3B79CD36-45A5-4003-9476-6771B33FF82A.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back