New Build: 10 foot frag tank

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, if you still need some frag racks hit me up. I have a ton of spares now that I went with the larger, 15X15 racks. Take 'em for less than half price of new. Kaotic Acrylic. Nice ones.
Yeah I will definitely need some.

Having trouble trying to get the plumbing right at the moment lol
20221104_230710.jpg
20221104_230723.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will definitely need some.

Having trouble trying to get the plumbing right at the moment lol
20221104_230710.jpg
20221104_230723.jpg
I feel your pain. I think I spent a month getting mine right. By the end, I felt reasonably competent. BTW, I found a two-hole (1" it seems) cap piece for the Trigger. Did I forget to include that for your sump or are you good?

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel your pain. I think I spent a month getting mine right. By the end, I felt reasonably competent. BTW, I found a two-hole (1" it seems) cap piece for the Trigger. Did I forget to include that for your sump or are you good?
The bulk head? Or which lid? Can you send me a picture?

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, it is finally starting to get a little real. My stand materials arrived yesterday from Framing Tech. I was a little miffed there were no assembly instructions, but once I organized all the parts, and spent a few minutes with the CAD drawings, it was pretty obvious. This is what 172 lbs of aluminum can look like:

IMG-5762.jpg
IMG-5763.jpg
Just finished going through this thread and very impressed. I just started my project and wanted to know how you like the FT stand? Was planning on going with a metal stand but got referred to FT as anothern option. Price was not much different surprisingly but getting cold feet with the 8020 material due to the tank size (120x36x35 glass) and I guess the lack of knowledge on 8020 material.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished going through this thread and very impressed. I just started my project and wanted to know how you like the FT stand? Was planning on going with a metal stand but got referred to FT as anothern option. Price was not much different surprisingly but getting cold feet with the 8020 material due to the tank size (120x36x35 glass) and I guess the lack of knowledge on 8020 material.
Totally sold on the FT stand for now. The aluminum brace construction does not concern me at all. I have been watching closely. I am more concerned with the coated metal screws. I watch these closely for potential corrosion. So far so good.

Part of this protection has to do with the 2" top brace lip which I did not want initially but it does an amazing job at keeping the salt water in the tank. I have always done frameless before for aesthetic reasons but I am adapting my preferences. Slowly.

Only thing about the FT construction. It is all about the fasteners IMO. Get them level and crank the living excrement out of them. IMO, they should almost dig into the extruded aluminum. The aluminum bars themselves exceed the loads several times over. The RedSea cabinet (display) and the steel frame stands (frag) are nothing compared to the FT construction.

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Totally sold on the FT stand for now. The aluminum brace construction does not concern me at all. I have been watching closely. I am more concerned with the coated metal screws. I watch these closely for potential corrosion. So far so good.

Part of this protection has to do with the 2" top brace lip which I did not want initially but it does an amazing job at keeping the salt water in the tank. I have always done frameless before for aesthetic reasons but I am adapting my preferences. Slowly.

Only thing about the FT construction. It is all about the fasteners IMO. Get them level and crank the living excrement out of them. IMO, they should almost dig into the extruded aluminum. The aluminum bars themselves exceed the loads several times over. The RedSea cabinet (display) and the steel frame stands (frag) are nothing compared to the FT construction.
Thank you for the reply and reassurance. I sent my metal stand design to FT and they are working on a “final” price quote so hopefully I’ll have it by early next and can place the order. My tank is a inwall and have the design set up with Joe already just waiting on framing to be completed on the new home build. Again thanks for the input and recommendation.
9107E0FC-446A-4E6B-824B-FA22832E8226.jpeg

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and reassurance. I sent my metal stand design to FT and they are working on a “final” price quote so hopefully I’ll have it by early next and can place the order. My tank is a inwall and have the design set up with Joe already just waiting on framing to be completed on the new home build. Again thanks for the input and recommendation.
9107E0FC-446A-4E6B-824B-FA22832E8226.jpeg
Looks awesome. Shame to have that beautiful stand behind the wall LOL.

Check out their website for some of those thing-a-majigs. Spring Clip T-Nuts or similar. After you put it together and run your plumbing, these fasteners are great for securing plumbing to the stand. And the last shout out for FramingTech, their sales/support folks are awesome.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks things are going pretty smoothly so far. Cannot believe it was getting crowded in there already, but just moved about 25 pieces to an LFS today so now have some breathing room again.

A quick video of the livestock. Coralline coming in fast now. I did just lose my 2 year old homewrecker piece which is a real bummer I have no explanation for. Otherwise, good.

Don't kill the cameraman.

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out their website for some of those thing-a-majigs. Spring Clip T-Nuts or similar. After you put it together and run your plumbing, these fasteners are great for securing plumbing to the stand. And the last shout out for FramingTech, their sales/support folks are awesome.
Can you post a picture of what you are referring to. I asked FT and they weren’t sure but sent me a link to these which I don’t think are right.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks things are going pretty smoothly so far. Cannot believe it was getting crowded in there already, but just moved about 25 pieces to an LFS today so now have some breathing room again.

A quick video of the livestock. Coralline coming in fast now. I did just lose my 2 year old homewrecker piece which is a real bummer I have no explanation for. Otherwise, good.

Don't kill the cameraman.

are those fragged elegance? cant tell if that or fat duncans, maybe i need glasses.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are those fragged elegance? cant tell if that or fat duncans, maybe i need glasses.
It was a monster Duncan colony I chopped up. I consigned a few of the chunks already. The rest need some healing time to get the stems colored up.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of what you are referring to. I asked FT and they weren’t sure but sent me a link to these which I don’t think are right.

Surprised they could not figure it out. I just told them what I was trying to do and bam! They sent me a link. You may have been talking with the "B" team during the holidays. Anyway, I found the order. It is these doohickeys.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get back to town I’ll be designing similar for @Nate Chalk for his aluminum stand. Dosing line and wire management.
Yes please :) ordered the supplies to lengthen lines so I can run them.

Very excited for cable management project to be underway my neck and lower back can already feel the strain

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Surprised they could not figure it out. I just told them what I was trying to do and bam! They sent me a link. You may have been talking with the "B" team during the holidays. Anyway, I found the order. It is these doohickeys.

Thanks for the info. I don’t know if the person assisting me designs specifically aquarium stands but appreciate the info.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Right after developing this thing I thought of you:

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right after developing this thing I thought of you:
Thanks for thinking of me and that looks pretty cool. I am running the 4" socks as I had 3 dozen of them laying around already from the previous three sump setup.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back