New build: Cade Reef 600 S2

VanJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new Reefer here who’s last tank was some dinky freshwater 10 gal 30+ years ago that I always wished was a salt water setup. After looking at tanks the past two years indecisively I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Cade Reef 600 S2 this weekend after seeing they were finally coming out with a white metal stand. So impressed with how far the quality, technology, and access to learning is now versus my last attempt 30 years ago.

Probably two months for it to arrive from the dealer. In the meantime here are the initial build specs with what I’ve already ordered and then some additional items still TBD….

Tank – Cade Reef 600 S2
Stand – Cade’s aluminum and glass stand in white
Sump – Cade
Lid – Cade’s inc jumpnet
Lights – AI Hydra 64HD
Powerheads – VorTech MP40mQD, Maxspect Gyre XF330 (with Hydros control)
Skimmer – Deltec 400i (DC)
ATO – gravity fed Cade included with float valve,
Return pump – Vectra S2
UV – Aqua Ultraviolet 15W Classic
Heaters - Innovative Marine Helio 400 Watt PTC Smart Aquarium Heater - [2 x 200W]
Sand - CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
Filter Roller Mat - Klir Di-4 v2 (with Hydros control)
Controllers/Automation - Hydros X4, XP8, WEv2, XS
Salt - Aquaforest Reef Salt
Rock - CaribSea LifeRock and some Marco as base/island rock
Backup Pump (or for UV) - Reef Octopus VarioS 4 (DC)
Backup Powerhead - AI Nero 3

TBD:
Powerheads (2nd) – probably an AI Nero 3
backup return pump (or for the UV) -

ATO – going to have a separate reservoir setup eventually to supplement the built in Cade ATO system
Heaters –
Chiller – hoping not to have to get one. We don’t exactly keep the house that cool during the N FL summers. I see people adding fans inside the sump cabinet…
Sand –
Salt –
Rock –
Roller mat – the sump is tight, maybe a Klir 4 might fit
Controllers –

RO/DI - ???
Auto fish feeder - ???
Back up battery - ???
Fans - probably before summer buy some fans instead of chiller. I like the look of those white GHL fans. Could control it paired with the Hydros temp monitor. Doesn't look like you could power it with the Hydros unless you solder some wires or use breakout box???

A lot to decide and get done and keep learning before the tank finally arrives. First thing will be getting an electrician out to lay a new dedicated circuit to the new Aquarium Room

CadeR2R.png

Last edited:

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, I see you don't have a heater. I have always used titanium heating elements from BRS paired with an inkbird temperature controller and I have never had an issue. Excited to see the tank in action!

OP
OP
VanJoe

VanJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, I see you don't have a heater. I have always used titanium heating elements from BRS paired with an inkbird temperature controller and I have never had an issue. Excited to see the tank in action!
Thanks, yeah that is one of the things to still look into. That seems to be a very popular and successful option for heater and controller. BRS seems to be quite the online shop and resource. So that isn't just some cheap heater that they tossed their logo on and rebranded it? That's good to know their stuff is quality. I bought the lights and pump from them this weekend.

OP
OP
VanJoe

VanJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your tank?
Thanks, no not really yet. Algae Barn spooked me by saying they oversold (or exaggerate is probably fairer) their next shipment (Jan.) and mine wouldn't come into until their second shipment due in, so in February. Guess they got enough people to volunteer and take them up on their 900 upgrade offer so now I am still in on their January shipment. Can't wait to get it.

Bout the only thing I have done since my post is pick up a AI Nero 3 as a secondary wavemaker at the LFS and do some research on fish and corals I'd like to have. I'm leaning towards a Varios pump as a backup pump/pump for my UV. I'm still entirely confused by UV plumbing. I don't get why you would want to loop it right back into the sump. Plus the Varios can be controlled by Hydros (below).

Been spending a lot of time looking at roller mats and automated controller systems. Might get a Klir 4 and do some Hydros for controlling it. I really don't want to do a replumb around the sock area to do a full size mat in the skimmer area and take up more than half of its space on this little sump, such as with a Red Sea or ClariSea or the new Reef Factory. But I don't know anything yet really so maybe that is something I should consider? From what I have been reading the integration and control by Hydros of the Klir has resolved people's issue with it and the size of it would be a great way to utilize the sock area. I'm going to be doing this all on my own and ultimately I want to be able to get to a place where I can be out of town for 7-10 days and not have to worry about much. I'd have a hard time for that with having to have someone clean out filter socks. I definitely want to have a separate larger RODI reservoir so it can go a little longer than the 3-4 days the built in Cade reservoir would provide. Too bad the Hydros can't control the Vortech I already bought.

I can't believe the price they are charging for the Cade side Caddy.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank choice and the white looks awesome! I recently got the same tank but in black and I’m loving it, it's only a few weeks old but I currently get about 1 week with the RO reservoir. Look forward to seeing your build!

Last edited:
OP
OP
VanJoe

VanJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the heater taken care of. I was stuck between the Inkbird BRS combo vs the IM Helio setup. I ended up going with the Helios as I liked it having the three inch shorter heating elements. It will fit better in this tight sump. The Inkbird wifi ability was hard to pass on but I think I am set on going with a Hydros controller and I can use its temp gage as a notification system and use it for redundancy to cut off power if necessary.

I'll probably buy a small 10 or 15 gal Waterbox in the next couple of months and will try an Inkbird on that. More toys.

OP
OP
VanJoe

VanJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new Reefer here who’s last tank was some dinky freshwater 10 gal 30+ years ago that I always wished was a salt water setup. After looking at tanks the past two years indecisively I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Cade Reef 600 S2 this weekend after seeing they were finally coming out with a white metal stand. So impressed with how far the quality, technology, and access to learning is now versus my last attempt 30 years ago.

Probably two months for it to arrive from the dealer. In the meantime here are the initial build specs with what I’ve already ordered and then some additional items still TBD….

Tank – Cade Reef 600 S2
Stand – Cade’s aluminum and glass stand in white
Sump – Cade
Lid – Cade’s inc jumpnet
Lights – AI Hydra 64HD
Powerheads – VorTech MP40mQD, Maxspect Gyre XF330 (with Hydros control)
Skimmer – Deltec 400i (DC)
ATO – gravity fed Cade included with float valve,
Return pump – Vectra S2
UV – Aqua Ultraviolet 15W Classic
Heaters - Innovative Marine Helio 400 Watt PTC Smart Aquarium Heater - [2 x 200W]
Sand - CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
Filter Roller Mat - Klir Di-4 v2 (with Hydros control)
Controllers/Automation - Hydros X4, XP8, WEv2, XS
Salt - Aquaforest Reef Salt
Rock - CaribSea LifeRock and some Marco as base/island rock
Backup Pump (or for UV) - Reef Octopus VarioS 4 (DC)
Backup Powerhead - AI Nero 3

TBD:
Powerheads (2nd) – probably an AI Nero 3
backup return pump (or for the UV) -

ATO – going to have a separate reservoir setup eventually to supplement the built in Cade ATO system
Heaters –
Chiller – hoping not to have to get one. We don’t exactly keep the house that cool during the N FL summers. I see people adding fans inside the sump cabinet…
Sand –
Salt –
Rock –
Roller mat – the sump is tight, maybe a Klir 4 might fit
Controllers –

RO/DI - ???
Auto fish feeder - ???
Fans - probably before summer buy some fans instead of chiller. I like the look of those white GHL fans. Could control it paired with the Hydros temp monitor. Doesn't look like you could power it with the Hydros unless you solder some wires or use breakout box???

A lot to decide and get done and keep learning before the tank finally arrives. First thing will be getting an electrician out to lay a new dedicated circuit to the new Aquarium Room

CadeR2R.png

Got the good news week before last that the shipment had arrived in CA. Looks like I will get this baby last week of the month. Can't believe the amount of crap I've bought and still not done. I won't fill it till probably end of February anyways as I'll wait till after I get back from a (too) short vacation.

Liked everything I read about Hydros and went all in. At the very least it will provide an extra layer of redundancy, monitoring, and fail safes.

Going to order test kits and cleaning/water change equipment today. Maybe get working on the 'scape. Got some nice CaribSea arches and branches from BRS and Marco base and shelf rock at LFS.

Gotta get the electrician out to put in a new dedicated circuit and a whole house surge protector (been hit 4-5 times severely in like the last 7 years).

That will mainly just leave me with the RO/DI unit to decide on and also some medicines and coral & fish dips to order and have on hand. Probably a backup battery too.

After it is all setup and running then I'll look into fans (hopefully not a chiller), separate water reservoir & ATO unit, automated testers, dosers, and reactors, IF necessary!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the good news week before last that the shipment had arrived in CA. Looks like I will get this baby last week of the month. Can't believe the amount of crap I've bought and still not done. I won't fill it till probably end of February anyways as I'll wait till after I get back from a (too) short vacation.

Liked everything I read about Hydros and went all in. At the very least it will provide an extra layer of redundancy, monitoring, and fail safes.

Going to order test kits and cleaning/water change equipment today. Maybe get working on the 'scape. Got some nice CaribSea arches and branches from BRS and Marco base and shelf rock at LFS.

Gotta get the electrician out to put in a new dedicated circuit and a whole house surge protector (been hit 4-5 times severely in like the last 7 years).

That will mainly just leave me with the RO/DI unit to decide on and also some medicines and coral & fish dips to order and have on hand. Probably a backup battery too.

After it is all setup and running then I'll look into fans (hopefully not a chiller), separate water reservoir & ATO unit, automated testers, dosers, and reactors, IF necessary!
Can't wait to see what you do with this, Cade 600 brother from a different mother! ;)
The white should be pretty cool.

OP
OP
VanJoe

VanJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see what you do with this, Cade 600 brother from a different mother! ;)
The white should be pretty cool.
It will be nice to finally see it when it arrives the week of the 27th. Will be fun to get my hands on the stand and start working on the controller panel. Still got to put the 'scape together and get an electrician out. Other than a few little odds and ends I have finally got all the equipment. I need to read up on if I will need a booster pump with the 5-Stage RO/DI unit. Hadn't had time to delve into that yet.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be nice to finally see it when it arrives the week of the 27th. Will be fun to get my hands on the stand and start working on the controller panel. Still got to put the 'scape together and get an electrician out. Other than a few little odds and ends I have finally got all the equipment. I need to read up on if I will need a booster pump with the 5-Stage RO/DI unit. Hadn't had time to delve into that yet.
Depends on your water pressure. If you have under 60 psi you'll want a booster. And from what I read, it helps save water by reducing waste water. Ideally you want 80 psi.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back