New Build: Tideline AIO 47 Lagoon

CaptainTops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size upgrade from a Fluval AIO 13 gallon to a Tideline AIO 47gal Lagoon tank.
I am creating a thread to document the build process for myself and those who found as little information as I did on this relatively new tank.

It took a bit of cleaning to remove all of the dust from transit, but after that, I could put in the first run of salt water. Currently, I am using Instant Ocean Reef salt as I can be a bit short-sighted on mixing salt water, and I like that it seems to give great results even with 12ish hours of mixing. I also added some nitrifying bacteria to jump-start the process before adding some filter media from the previous tank. First few days, I just did top-offs of RODI water as I still have my ATO attached to the previous tank. After one week, it looked good on parameters, so I added in the various bio media pieces, a few pieces of dry rock that had been aging in the media basket, and a pod habitat that had been in the tank for a few weeks.

That leads to today, where I debate lighting pumps and controller options. Ideally, this tank upgrade was meant to make it easier for my tank to maintain stability during my short work travels, so I would like to have an extremely reliable and durable controller running as the nervous system of my tank. Apex was my first introduction, but through scouring the forums, I am leaning more toward the GHL in terms of its long-lasting performance and seemingly more durable components (i.e. probes). I also have some background in programming, so making the more intricate programs the GHL model is capable of is more of a draw for me. I have a small sense of joy while looking at others' screenshots of their Apex control apps, but honestly, I want to look at my tank more and my controller less. I am grateful to be able to pop over to a world-class LFS that stocks nearly all of the necessary components so I can make the jump as soon as my final decision is made. The next big decision will be a battery backup, and opinions are always appreciated on either of these topics.

I will try to share whatever resources or components I come across for others interested in this tank.

Equipment:
  • Tideline AIO 47gal Lagoon
  • Planet Aquariums Elegance Maple Stand 36x18x36
  • Stock pump
  • IceCap Pod Habitat
  • Biocubes
Stocking:
  • Pods
Additives
  • Instant Ocean Reef Salt
  • MicroBacter Clean
Photos to come (still waiting on some lighting)
Edited to update: July 28, 2023 will continue in comments when there is some actual development and not just staring at my tests :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaptainTops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, you are going to love it. I have the 65 gallon Tideline currently and the tank is so incredibly well made.
Glad to hear it. The glass quality seems super solid to a newbie like myself.
Did you get a custom lid, and if so, which company did you go with? I had a Top Lids polycarbonate in my cart currently, but I wasn’t able to find much to compare it to since I am clumsy and would like to avoid dropping an acrylic lid.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it. The glass quality seems super solid to a newbie like myself.
Did you get a custom lid, and if so, which company did you go with? I had a Top Lids polycarbonate in my cart currently, but I wasn’t able to find much to compare it to since I am clumsy and would like to avoid dropping an acrylic lid.
I did a diy screen too on mine. Would probably go for a good kid at some point but the one I did came out pretty good and sits within the tank so it doesn’t lose the look of the rimless tank. I think they only made the 65 Tideline for a very short time. So I don’t believe any of the companies has one pre made to fit so it would more than likely have to be a custom thing.

OP
OP
C

CaptainTops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a diy screen too on mine. Would probably go for a good kid at some point but the one I did came out pretty good and sits within the tank so it doesn’t lose the look of the rimless tank. I think they only made the 65 Tideline for a very short time. So I don’t believe any of the companies has one pre made to fit so it would more than likely have to be a custom thing.
I was thinking about the DIY version and will admit that I already have the mangled remains of one meant for my previous tank sitting in a storage tote somewhere. I can work wood and metal, but the screen lid (and my screen porch) have been the victors. I am always pleased to hear that other reefers do not suffer from my same issues. Shame they only made a short run on the 65 though.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the DIY version and will admit that I already have the mangled remains of one meant for my previous tank sitting in a storage tote somewhere. I can work wood and metal, but the screen lid (and my screen porch) have been the victors. I am always pleased to hear that other reefers do not suffer from my same issues. Shame they only made a short run on the 65 though.
I have made several but the dimension on the Tideline made it difficult to get the screen top square. My mistake was trying to keep the mesh tight while putting the spline in. What I found worked the best was keep the mesh loose as I put the spline in and then used a heat gun and lightly applied the heat to the mesh and it tightened it up perfectly! What really helped was putting the lid on the tank before I applied the heat. That way it shrank and stayed square with the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back