new chalice and hammer

spasmolytic13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all, I just bought this chalice last week lfs told me to place it high on the rock direct light and hi flow. I have been reading low light and low flow what is true? Also is it a chalice, it looks a little different to me than the ones I see on the net. Now for the hammer does it look healthy? I have had it for about a year and it has not grown at all. Is this normal?

hammer.jpg chalicw.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all, I just bought this chalice last week lfs told me to place it high on the rock direct light and hi flow. I have been reading low light and low flow what is true? Also is it a chalice, it looks a little different to me than the ones I see on the net.
Generally, chalices are lower-medium light corals, but some specimens can take higher light. Those terms are relative, obviously. So it depends on your lighting, tank size, and parameters. "Chalice" is a broad term, but I would call yours a chalice. Not sure what type, based on that picture. More of a closeup and less blue would help someone ID better.

Now for the hammer does it look healthy? I have had it for about a year and it has not grown at all. Is this normal?

Branching hammer, E. parancora. It looks fine. It should be growing by splitting, and sometimes growing, new heads. So no, that isn't normal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back