New clam..not taking root?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just got my first clam. Its a 2.5 inch Tridacna maxima ultra grade clam. I've had it for 4 days now, and am wondering if something could be wrong with it. I've placed it on one of those claim hammocks, but so far after 4 days it still has not even begun to take root. His mantle is out..but just barely. Do I just need more patience, or is this an indicator that something is wrong with the clam?

I bought him from liveaquaria, and from their description they make it sound like I should have expected him to start taking root within the first day.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clam will like gentle flow. What kind of lights are you running? They are light hogs. Also stable parameters. Post a pic.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clam will like gentle flow. What kind of lights are you running? They are light hogs. Also stable parameters. Post a pic.
20191212_161411.jpg

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andrew. Sorry but I don’t feel your clam is in good health. I hope I’m wrong. Does it open up and extend the mantel more than this? I also don’t see a white new growth ring on the edge of the shell. If this one does not make it I may consider no clams for a while Incase this one was sick.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andrew. Sorry but I don’t feel your clam is in good health. I hope I’m wrong. Does it open up and extend the mantel more than this? I also don’t see a white new growth ring on the edge of the shell. If this one does not make it I may consider no clams for a while Incase this one was sick.
I've only had it a week...but no it hasn't opened anymore then this. Tried to target feed it some plankton tonight, but just completely closed up when I did that.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip target feeding it. The lack of clean new shell on the edge tells me it has not been healthy for a while. They like strong light, mild flow, and a little bit of no3 and stable alk. Keep me posted.

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first clam (1.5”) died for no apparent reason. My next two were bigger (3”) and are thriving. I’ll never go smaller than 3” in the future.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andrew. I purchased a blue maxima similar to yours. (2”). I had him down at the bottom of the tank in a little diy cradle like the one you have. It did terrible there. I thought for sure I was going to loose it. So I placed it appx. 6” from the top of the tank and week after week it got stronger and healthier. $100 clam, I was thrilled. Today 6 months later, it’s doing excellent! Glad I took that chance. Good luck.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others, the clam doesn't appear to be in good health. Also, a clam laying byssal threads does not mean the clam is doing well, it's using them to stabilize itself. Similar to full mantle extension it can be a false indicator of a healthy clam. New shell growth at the upper margin of the shell is what a healthy tridacna will show. No need to feed, especially target feeding. Hope it pulls through.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back