New clam owner here (maybe)

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

For those who have Tridacna clams, did you get them for aesthetics or for their supposed nutrient export benefit? I have a 45-gal that’s been established for over 1 yr now. Mixed reef setup. I like the appeal of having a Tridacna in my tank but I’m wondering if they play a role in lowering nitrates and phosphates. I’m on the fence here! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

For those who have Tridacna clams, did you get them for aesthetics or for their supposed nutrient export benefit? I have a 45-gal that’s been established for over 1 yr now. Mixed reef setup. I like the appeal of having a Tridacna in my tank but I’m wondering if they play a role in lowering nitrates and phosphates. I’m on the fence here! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

@PacificEastAquaculture can sure help wit answers and clams! :)

While clams do utilize nitrates and phosphates, the decrease would be minimal if you had one or a few in your tank. IMO, get them for the anesthetics, not nutrient control.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back