New Copperband Butterflyfish acting strange

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a copperband bf fish yesterday, super healthy and fully quarantined at my LFS for 30 days, started on Brine and then frozen mysis (was chowing down mysis in front of me at the store).

I put him in my tank last night and since then until today he’s just racing up and down the left side glass. He took one bite of mysis but hasn’t been very interested.

Is this normal stress behavior? Any ideas on how to help him chill? Worried about the lil dude.

thanks!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other fish in the tank? Are you familiar with the difficulty associated with copperbands? It’s one of those fish that I really wish wouldn’t be sold so much.

Red Sea 500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the exact same thing for a week…….sorry but it didn’t make it.
I’ve had 2, they are very difficult to keep!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a copperband bf fish yesterday, super healthy and fully quarantined at my LFS for 30 days, started on Brine and then frozen mysis (was chowing down mysis in front of me at the store).

I put him in my tank last night and since then until today he’s just racing up and down the left side glass. He took one bite of mysis but hasn’t been very interested.

Is this normal stress behavior? Any ideas on how to help him chill? Worried about the lil dude.

thanks!
Any close up pics of your fish? Perhaps a small video as well. By close up. I mean of the sides. They can be easy to injure.

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any close up pics of your fish? Perhaps a small video as well. By close up. I mean of the sides. They can be easy to injure.

Attachments

• EFF885B6-95B6-4517-8448-8F5E92ED6CB4.jpeg
    EFF885B6-95B6-4517-8448-8F5E92ED6CB4.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 56277F08-AF7A-4DFE-904A-88D3C1115ADC.jpeg
    56277F08-AF7A-4DFE-904A-88D3C1115ADC.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 86

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Allow to settle in. New environment and likely seeing its reflection off of glass. Do not try to force feed which will affect water quality.
Acclimation important with these guys- How was it acclimated and for how long ?
What is current salinity-temp-nitrate level ?

As long as introduced properly , theyre a great fish. Mine is 6" and over 3 years old now

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow to settle in. New environment and likely seeing its reflection off of glass. Do not try to force feed which will affect water quality.

As long as introduced properly , theyre a great fish. Mine is 6" and over 3 years old now
Temp is 78, nitrates at 6ppm. Salinity is 1.026.

acclimation was basic. Floated for 20 mins. Then added directly - in my experience drips and slower acclimations stressed fish more so went with instincts.

glad you’ve kept yours alive and helped him prosper! They’re beautiful fish.

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ying yang. He also had one who did this. Did not die. He covered the sides I believe to stop the fish from fighting reflection. Not sure if yours is fighting reflection though. Or if injured.
Good to know! I tried covering the sides and he doesn’t care.. still doing it. He’s def. Not injured he looks perfect and has great colors still.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know! I tried covering the sides and he doesn’t care.. still doing it. He’s def. Not injured he looks perfect and has great colors still.
As stated by others. Give time for him to adjust. I forgot how my cbb acted when introduced. I just remember the other fish were gathered at town hall out of fear.

I assume you let the fish swim out of bag, into tank?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always drip acclimate even if the fish is larger and have to use a five gallon bucket. Temp acclimation to me is not enough . He may need more additional time to get used to the water quality or any chemistry differences that he or she experienced. That and possibly seeing his reflection is probably why it’s acting in this behavior. The good thing is he’s doing this good after 24 hours . Patience allowing to acclimate on its own .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Temp is 78, nitrates at 6ppm. Salinity is 1.026.

acclimation was basic. Floated for 20 mins. Then added directly - in my experience drips and slower acclimations stressed fish more so went with instincts.

glad you’ve kept yours alive and helped him prosper! They’re beautiful fish.
Very short acclimation. Acclimated mine almost 2 hrs as with all my fish. Salinity 1.024-1.025

46AEE4FB-54F8-4F99-BBD8-AF4410772AFC.jpeg
7217F291-7AE0-4885-BF98-25E4FF1FB797.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very short acclimation. Acclimated mine almost 2 hrs as with all my fish. Salinity 1.024-1.025

46AEE4FB-54F8-4F99-BBD8-AF4410772AFC.jpeg
7217F291-7AE0-4885-BF98-25E4FF1FB797.jpeg
Good to know. I’ve never acclimated outside of temp, I run a very stable system and be found fish always acclimate fine. This is a good lesson/ reminder.

Beautiful fish my friend!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish just sounds stressed.

I don't drip any of my fish unless the salinity is 0.002 or more lower. I just float and release. It works great for me.

Despicable Me Whatever GIF

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't drip any of my fish unless the salinity is 0.002 or more lower. I just float and release. It works great for me.

Yeah tbh me too. Never ever had a fish die in acclimation doing that (and if they did it was nothing to do with acclimation)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Out of curiousity, what size did you get yours? Mine was bought at about 2 inch and it’s probably just hitting 3 inch now (Including the snout). I’ve had mine two years now and growth has been extremely slow.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I only dripped my first 3-4 fish (Stopped after the CBB was added) and now I do the same. I’ve never had an issue with it and I’m now up to 10 fish with no loses due to acclimation and any deaths I’ve had has been due to something else (Most deaths have been really random and still unknown actually).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the OP, mine did this similar thing but ran up and down the whole panel of glass on the right side of the tank. Never figured it out until I realised it was a wall next to it so it definitely saw the reflection. 2 years on and still not lost mine, I know it’s not long term but most of these fish die within the first 6 months so I figure this is a form of success but not the full thing in itself.

Also when I say ran, it looked more like a figure 8, and he will still do it every few weeks (sometimes but rarely days). One reoccurring pattern is that he always does it when the blue lights are on and rarely when whites are heavier.

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiousity, what size did you get yours? Mine was bought at about 2 inch and it’s probably just hitting 3 inch now (Including the snout). I’ve had mine two years now and growth has been extremely slow.
I got mine at around 3.5-4 inches. I’ve heard they can be very slow growers. Usually throw in a tang or 2 to fill up some space in the tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back