New Copperband Butterflyfish acting strange

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine at around 3.5-4 inches. I’ve heard they can be very slow growers. Usually throw in a tang or 2 to fill up some space in the tank
I’ve found that CBBs are actually more active than some tangs are - and that’s saying something as I have a Ctenochaetus binotatus which is also rather active and happily living in my 4’ tank.

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated by others. Give time for him to adjust. I forgot how my cbb acted when introduced. I just remember the other fish were gathered at town hall out of fear.

I assume you let the fish swim out of bag, into tank?
Yes, I usually just drain the water down very low then let em gently swim out.

my other fish don’t seem frightened at all by him. They’re all doing great, maybe he’s the only fish that can’t stand his reflection

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Out of curiousity, what size did you get yours? Mine was bought at about 2 inch and it’s probably just hitting 3 inch now (Including the snout). I’ve had mine two years now and growth has been extremely slow.
3” and an eating machine

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3” and an eating machine
That’s interesting to hear, do you think how often you feed has something to do with growth of your CBB?
All of the ones I’ve seen have grown around an inch in 2-2.5 years.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my cbb did same at sides of tanks,I've always believed this to be stress related ( like in small tank for one example ) or what I believe to be reason for mine which was fighting its own reflection, I stopped cleaning sides of tank and let get dirty so reflection wasn't as strong and my cbb stopped doing it.
He occasionally does it after lights out ,got tv on wall next to tank and usually a little lamp on in living room ,so as daft as It seems I put a throw over,over tank so darkens tank and he stops doing it.
If I look through one side to the other the glass sides literally look like a mirror,now I've had cbb maybe 10-12 months I clean sides of tank maybe once a month but my glass doesn't get that dirty that quick tbh.
I feed clams/oysters/scallops as main food to my tank now because of this one fish ha ha,but they all love it and no signs of diesese/health issues on any my fish.

Good luck with your fish

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here thread I started and in first post/video one of my silly ideas to put paper up at side of tank with a light and without a light,as I said in above post,just let sides of tank go dirty and put blanket over tank at night if see him do it

jp415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Very short acclimation. Acclimated mine almost 2 hrs as with all my fish. Salinity 1.024-1.025

46AEE4FB-54F8-4F99-BBD8-AF4410772AFC.jpeg
7217F291-7AE0-4885-BF98-25E4FF1FB797.jpeg
Your yellow tang have any issues with the copperband during introduction?

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your yellow tang have any issues with the copperband during introduction?
Hey - I had the worst experience. My tang cut the copperband all over his body overnight. The copperband barely held on the next day and died. Tang left him with gashes, I’m guessing the copperband tried to fight back.

OP
OP
M

MakeSomeWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - I had the worst experience. My tang cut the copperband all over his body overnight. The copperband barely held on the next day and died. Tang left him with gashes, I’m guessing the copperband tried to fight back.
This was a white tail bristletooth tang who was introduced 2 weeks after the copperband was thriving. Sucks

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I’ve never acclimated outside of temp, I run a very stable system and be found fish always acclimate fine. This is a good lesson/ reminder.

Beautiful fish my friend!
Trouble is some LfS run salinity at 1.019….
Just was at one today and they run it there because that’s how most of their suppliers run theirs.
I got a couple Anthias and two clowns and did about a 3 hours drip to get them up to 1.0255

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a white tail bristletooth tang who was introduced 2 weeks after the copperband was thriving. Sucks

Sorry to hear. Tangs and be real jerks. I tried two different Koles but they were complete jerks and had to go.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s interesting to hear, do you think how often you feed has something to do with growth of your CBB?
All of the ones I’ve seen have grown around an inch in 2-2.5 years.
Really? I almost had my cbb for a year. Was around 2" when arrived. Cbb is over 4" now. I always exclude tail. Yes, fed a lot.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I almost had my cbb for a year. Was around 2" when arrived. Cbb is over 4" now. I always exclude tail. Yes, fed a lot.
Wow, mine grows painfully slowly, I think he’s 3 inches as a 2.5 year old fish.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why so many people have problems with copperbands but I think a lot of it has to do with quarantine. Copperbands (and all fish) hate that as a copperband is a fish that in the sea hides in tight crevices often and swims around to eat, then likes to find his cave again to feel secure.

In the sea they eat mainly worms and thats what they should be offered a few times week.
That and pieces of clam or other shellfish.

They do not like a bare or new tank and need plenty of places to get out of sight.

I had this guy about 10 years and the one before him about the same but I am sure they live longer.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why so many people have problems with copperbands but I think a lot of it has to do with quarantine. Copperbands (and all fish) hate that as a copperband is a fish that in the sea hides in tight crevices often and swims around to eat, then likes to find his cave again to feel secure.

In the sea they eat mainly worms and thats what they should be offered a few times week.
That and pieces of clam or other shellfish.

They do not like a bare or new tank and need plenty of places to get out of sight.

I had this guy about 10 years and the one before him about the same but I am sure they live longer.

I’ve found mine only uses caves and over hands when he sleeps (Even then he usually sleeps at the back of the tank). But I guess mine just breaks everything a CBB is known for being/doing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet if you stick a net in the tank he will find a hiding place. ;)
Man, if only haha, instead he’s the easiest to grab because he ends up swimming into the net and getting it over and done with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back