New Coral Frags... Stressed or Dying??

katienoel216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm pretty new to keeping marine aquariums. I've kept freshwater planted tanks before and I thought I'd take a shot at saltwater. I have a 20g Waterbox Cube that's been cycling for a few weeks. I received a shipment from WWC of my first coral frags ever and was pretty excited. I got a pulsing xenia to put on its own island, speckled leather, and a fireworks clove. However, I'm seeing some worrying things.

It was bitterly cold on Thursday when the package arrived, so I was worried about if they had succumbed to the cold; luckily, there was a heat pack inside the box and the water in their bags felt warm. I floated the bags for about 45 minutes with the lights off, and then drip acclimated for about an hour. The temp in my tank is currently set at 78 degrees and has not changed since I received the frags. However, I think it's important to note that I did not dip them; the instructions that came with the corals told me not to in order to prevent further stress, so I didn't. At this point, the frags were VERY stressed out and the xenia was producing a ton of mucus. I placed the frags at the bottom of the tank to adjust to the lighting. I'm running an aquaknight 30w that some other reefers recommended to me. I have a timer on the light so it will run for about 10 hours per day.
Here's a photo of the leather on Thursday a few hours after I put it in:
IMG_6200.PNG

Things started getting a lot worse the next day; part of the xenia broke off, and the leather started to look like it was dissolving or something. Clove looks pretty much the same. I have no fish in the tank yet, so the water isn't super dirty or anything (which may actually be an issue); I tested my water multiple times and it seems to be running fine with a salinity of 1.024/.25 and PH of 7.8. No ammonia or nitrite. Here's what they looked like this evening:
IMG_6208.png
IMG_6207.png
IMG_6206.png

I'm extremely concerned that none of them have "perked up" quite yet, and I'm very concerned about the leather's zombie-like appearance. The xenia also doesn't seem to be doing as well as I'd hoped (still not pulsing either).
All you reef doctors out there, what should I be concerned about and what should I watch out for? Are they already dead, or are they just under extreme stress? Is there anything I can do to try and make them look better? I feel awful for them and I wish I could do something. Should I go back and dip them? I'm a first time coral owner, so any advice is greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was a reef doctor I would order an ICP test to get more information on your water parameters.

Bump.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, what are your complete water parameters and what do you use to test? How old is the tank?

OP
OP
katienoel216

katienoel216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, what are your complete water parameters and what do you use to test? How old is the tank?
Salinity: 1.025 measured by refractometer. The water itself was mixed by my LFS
Tank is about 4 weeks old, I started it immediately with BioSpira. Cycled up until this past Thursday when I added the corals.
Temp: 78f
Alkalinity: 8.6 dKH
Phosphate: 0 ppm
Calcium: ok... here's the issue with this test. I bought the API calcium test kit because it was the only one available. I prefer using the Salifert kits but I thought this would work for now. The test read between 540-580. I'm hoping it's not actually this high and after reading other reviews I think I might get a different test, but idk.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: between 0 and 5.0 ppm
pH: 8.0
My LFS has been out of the salifert magnesium test kits so I ordered one online and it will be here soon.
Like I said, the calcium test was a little iffy, but for now, it seems a little high. Anything out of the ordinary? The leather and the xenia are still progressively getting worse, but the clove still looks the same (but still unopened). I have some CoralRX on hand, should I try giving them a dip?
Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity: 1.025 measured by refractometer. The water itself was mixed by my LFS
Tank is about 4 weeks old, I started it immediately with BioSpira. Cycled up until this past Thursday when I added the corals.
Temp: 78f
Alkalinity: 8.6 dKH
Phosphate: 0 ppm
Calcium: ok... here's the issue with this test. I bought the API calcium test kit because it was the only one available. I prefer using the Salifert kits but I thought this would work for now. The test read between 540-580. I'm hoping it's not actually this high and after reading other reviews I think I might get a different test, but idk.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: between 0 and 5.0 ppm
pH: 8.0
My LFS has been out of the salifert magnesium test kits so I ordered one online and it will be here soon.
Like I said, the calcium test was a little iffy, but for now, it seems a little high. Anything out of the ordinary? The leather and the xenia are still progressively getting worse, but the clove still looks the same (but still unopened). I have some CoralRX on hand, should I try giving them a dip?
Thanks!
You phosphate and nitrate are bottomed out which is not good for corals and in a new tank it compounds the problem because you lack biodiversity. You need phosphate at .05 to .1 and nitrate at 10ppm. Your calcium is slightly elevated. If you have any fish already, feed more to get phosphate and nitrate up. You can also go to biweekly water changes to help bring those up or dose neophos and neonitro. Don't run any reducing chemical media except maybe a bag or carbon. Start new corals off in lower light and flow to acclimate.

OP
OP
katienoel216

katienoel216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You phosphate and nitrate are bottomed out which is not good for corals and in a new tank it compounds the problem because you lack biodiversity. You need phosphate at .05 to .1 and nitrate at 10ppm. Your calcium is slightly elevated. If you have any fish already, feed more to get phosphate and nitrate up. You can also go to biweekly water changes to help bring those up or dose neophos and neonitro. Don't run any reducing chemical media except maybe a bag or carbon. Start new corals off in lower light and flow to acclimate.
Understood
I don’t have any fish in the tank yet, but I will soon. I just picked up some more water from my LFS so I’ll start on the water changes. Thank you so much for your help!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can ghost feed no fish or use some coral food to get numbers up to. Reef roids or reef chili will boost phosphate number as will most corals foods. If you ghost feed some pellets or flakes your nitrate numbers will go up to.

OP
OP
katienoel216

katienoel216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can ghost feed no fish or use some coral food to get numbers up to. Reef roids or reef chili will boost phosphate number as will most corals foods. If you ghost feed some pellets or flakes your nitrate numbers will go up to.
I do have reef roids on hand so I’ll try that as well. I also ordered the neophos and neonitro so hopefully I can get the numbers to go up. Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have reef roids on hand so I’ll try that as well. I also ordered the neophos and neonitro so hopefully I can get the numbers to go up. Thanks!
I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for several weeks before I saw any measurable numbers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back