OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do for the light situation? Like how long should my blues be on and how long shold both whits and blues be on. Also should I have the lights on full power?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
70% blues and 25% white and freshwater won’t do much. Try hydrogen peroxide

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that one. You can adjust the whites/blues to your liking. Corals use blue to grow predominantly. We like white for viewing.
Start with them at 50% and if the corals look good turn it up a bit each week. Its far easier to kill a coral with too much light than too little.
Too much - corals bleach white or sometimes dont extend their polyps consistantly
too little - corals turn darker to brown and stretch their polyps to the light

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do I attach them with no frag plug?
supergle them directly onto a rock, or onto another frag plug that is clean. You can take them off the plugs, sterilize the plugs with hot water and bleach, rinse super well, and reuse them without algae.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just wanted to make sure its was not some kind of paly andhad paly toxin. I am a total newby to corals.
Honestly I never knew about those toxins when I started this hobby and got bad at never wearing any gloves had no issues I think it’s more if your just allergic so you’ll find out soom

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I never knew about those toxins when I started this hobby and got bad at never wearing any gloves had no issues I think it’s more if your just allergic so you’ll find out soom
If they are in the water there is pretty much no danger. Only when you are fragging them out of the water. I wear gloves and safety glasses (to protect getting squirted in the eyes) and have had no issues. I think for most people it also takes quite a bit of exposure. Don't eat them like tide pods o_O

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures. I also read that mushrooms can sting other coral after I already put them in. How much space should I leave in between the mushrooms and the other corals? Will I be able to move the later on if they get to close to another coral?
20200927023655_IMG_0612.jpg
20200927023721_IMG_0614.jpg
20200927023822_IMG_0617.jpg
20200927023924_IMG_0619.jpg
20200927023931_IMG_0620.jpg
20200927023452_IMG_0605_1.jpg
20200927024023_IMG_0623.jpg

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures. I also read that mushrooms can sting other coral after I already put them in. How much space should I leave in between the mushrooms and the other corals? Will I be able to move the later on if they get to close to another coral?
20200927023655_IMG_0612.jpg
20200927023721_IMG_0614.jpg
20200927023822_IMG_0617.jpg
20200927023924_IMG_0619.jpg
20200927023931_IMG_0620.jpg
20200927023452_IMG_0605_1.jpg
20200927024023_IMG_0623.jpg
Looks great! Your clowns are pretty too.
All corals sting each other, and some will sting you (hammer and frogspawn get me). Mushrooms can unattach and reattach where they want. They also multiply. In general they don't sting others very much. Xenia is really pretty but will propogate all over the tank. Your candy cane is probably the biggest stinger, but has short tentacles to do so (1/2 inch). It likes to be fed a little food a couple of times a week. When the tenticals are out put a tiny piece of food in. Fun to watch.
Your clowns are about the same size. This might cause some fighting as they establish dominance. They should both be male at this point and the dominant one will get bigger and turn into a female. Then they will be a pair. If you see them bumping and pushing, or one shaking like its having a seizure, that's fine. If they start ripping fins or other damaging behavior you might have to separate them.
Looks like you might have some SPS too. Best thing for the tank is to do 10% water changes weekly. Being able to measure parameters is good too, but water changes will get you a long way.
Do you have a CUC? (clean up crew) Generally made of some snails and/or hermit crabs to help clean the algae. Hermits are fun if this is your first tank. Go with small ones like blue legged.

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Your clowns are pretty too.
All corals sting each other, and some will sting you (hammer and frogspawn get me). Mushrooms can unattach and reattach where they want. They also multiply. In general they don't sting others very much. Xenia is really pretty but will propogate all over the tank. Your candy cane is probably the biggest stinger, but has short tentacles to do so (1/2 inch). It likes to be fed a little food a couple of times a week. When the tenticals are out put a tiny piece of food in. Fun to watch.
Your clowns are about the same size. This might cause some fighting as they establish dominance. They should both be male at this point and the dominant one will get bigger and turn into a female. Then they will be a pair. If you see them bumping and pushing, or one shaking like its having a seizure, that's fine. If they start ripping fins or other damaging behavior you might have to separate them.
Looks like you might have some SPS too. Best thing for the tank is to do 10% water changes weekly. Being able to measure parameters is good too, but water changes will get you a long way.
Do you have a CUC? (clean up crew) Generally made of some snails and/or hermit crabs to help clean the algae. Hermits are fun if this is your first tank. Go with small ones like blue legged.
Thanks for being so helpful with all my questions. The clown with the orange is slightly bigger than the all black one and no fighting has occured. They have made the back corner their home and have been "tending" to it. I have seen them shimmy before but they have never been agressive. I had 5 hermit crabs but am now down to 2, I also have three nassarius snails.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for being so helpful with all my questions. The clown with the orange is slightly bigger than the all black one and no fighting has occured. They have made the back corner their home and have been "tending" to it. I have seen them shimmy before but they have never been agressive. I had 5 hermit crabs but am now down to 2, I also have three nassarius snails.
That sounds awesome. You are off to a great start. It usually takes a few months for the clowns to establish their roles, and the "shimmy" always freaked me out!

Back