New Cube Advice! *I know I'm doing it wrong*

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hi! Just got my 30 gal. cube up and running, it's been cycling for about 8 weeks. All of my levels are coming out at zero. Snails & hermits are doing well. I introduced a two-spot goby (Mr. Harold), and he's king of the castle and seems super happy. Last night I "accidentally" brought home 2 little anemones and one SPS coral (he tagged along for free, what was I supposed to say?!).
I have BIG dreams for a tiny tank, but would really like to know your thoughts (aside from "good luck with your SPS") on who and what comes next?
xx

1 Tank.png 2 Goby.png

Attachments

• Nems.MOV
    26 MB

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Levels coming out zero? I am assuming Nitrates and Phosphates? Keeping Nitrates and Phosphates at zero is fine in fresh but a major issue in Salt. If you get zero levels for so long..you will starve out your good bacteria and dino's will take over and you dont want dinos.

Secondly, if you are looking at corals, get into a place where you are monitoring your alk and calcium and can keep them consistent. The fact that you did not mention them in your numbers sounds like they are not on your radar.

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Levels coming out zero? I am assuming Nitrates and Phosphates? Keeping Nitrates and Phosphates at zero is fine in fresh but a major issue in Salt. If you get zero levels for so long..you will starve out your good bacteria and dino's will take over and you dont want dinos.

Secondly, if you are looking at corals, get into a place where you are monitoring your alk and calcium and can keep them consistent. The fact that you did not mention them in your numbers sounds like they are not on your radar.
It's my understanding that after the tank cycles, ammonia and nitrites are down to zero with very minimal nitrates. I haven't tested for phosphates yet. Dinos are the stringy-ish brown stuff, right? None of that here. Fingers crossed.

Ordered a kit for the other tests today, as I was definitely not planning to come home with a more difficult coral this early on.

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start! Pretty sure your cat is thinking about going for a swim :) . Nice looking goby.
Thank you! Cat is definitely intrigued, but mostly just jealous. "Why does this weird tub get all of your attention now?!"

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding that after the tank cycles, ammonia and nitrites are down to zero with very minimal nitrates. I haven't tested for phosphates yet. Dinos are the stringy-ish brown stuff, right? None of that here. Fingers crossed.

Ordered a kit for the other tests today, as I was definitely not planning to come home with a more difficult coral this early on.
Yes..dinos are stringy, snotty looking monsters. You will see a bunch of little air bubbles in the snot..that is how you know you got them. Exact levels of nitrates are a topic for debate. Generally people recommend in the 10'ish+ range with phosphates <0.25 if you want to keep corals. Definitely concentrate on these while you have a young tank so that your good bacteria can take hold.

Good luck.

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes..dinos are stringy, snotty looking monsters. You will see a bunch of little air bubbles in the snot..that is how you know you got them. Exact levels of nitrates are a topic for debate. Generally people recommend in the 10'ish+ range with phosphates <0.25 if you want to keep corals. Definitely concentrate on these while you have a young tank so that your good bacteria can take hold.

Good luck.
Thank you, I appreciate it!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice start. Just resist adding stuff to fast.
Love the cat by the way. I think our 4 cats feel the same way as we have 4 systems also, lol.

As you begin to add coral you may need another 16HD down the road.
I run 2 on my 18" cubed nano but its strickly sps.

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice start. Just resist adding stuff to fast.
Love the cat by the way. I think our 4 cats feel the same way as we have 4 systems also, lol.

As you begin to add coral you may need another 16HD down the road.
I run 2 on my 18" cubed nano but its strickly sps.
Awesome, thank you! Nala is crazy jealous of the time we spend staring at the "weird water box." It's adorable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back