New desert reefer

yodeling_toast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this forum kindly helped me rehab a puffer in the Diseases forum, I've been meaning to become a regular contributor. I'm new-ish to saltwater (two years or so) but have kept freshwater tanks for many years. I currently work in the (freshwater) aquaculture industry for a living as I finish grad school (one more year, yee).

Please enjoy some candid shots of my mostly current projects:
My Chaos Box. It's floating by on top offs and benign neglect these days but I'd like to change things up a bit soon.
tempImageaSe7pM.jpg

IMG_2735.jpeg

This is the 10g holding tank for corals (mostly red twizzler zoa herpes) that my Toby decided were on the menu. It too needs some messing with. ***** in this pic (usually the alveopora is as big as my hand) due to a water change just performed. I don't really take a ton of pics of this one.
IMG_2786.jpeg

One is a pest tank with a small Eunice worm, the other is an open book.
I may move the pests to the bigger digs.
IMG_2781.jpeg

This tank is full of TBS aquacultured rock and some different macro cuttings. My intent is to rig a salt marsh style reservoir in the planter sitting across up there in the back that tank water is pumped up to and then return from, like a sump of sorts. I'd like to keep a variety of weird inverts and will be hooking up a dosing system for phyto and ferts.

IMG_2787.JPG

My old blackwater...been upgraded to a 60 breeder with loads more emergent growth, but I need to take new pics.
IMG_2086.jpeg

Old pond.
IMG_2272.jpeg

(The mangroves are in a freshwater bucket at the moment).

And I also have a 40 gallon tall that is temporarily housing a small porcupine puffer.

My goals are to upgrade my pumps and lights on some tanks, learn how to test my water more reliably and not be so afraid of SPS!

I tend to like experimenting with things and enjoy building the ecosystem from the smallest components upward, which IMO is more fascinating with marine tanks. I'll likely only create a journal for the salt marsh tank and potentially the Chaos Box, but thank you for taking a look at my other lovelies.

OP
OP
yodeling_toast

yodeling_toast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, can I ask how or where you got the floating rocks. Id love to do something similar in my 75
Heck yes. Aqua Rock Designs. I'm not a huge fan of the black coloring but it fills up with coralline pretty quickly. Saving up to get some more from them for different tanks! I have some in the back of the Chaos Box that have completely been covered with palys that are encrusting off the rock to the glass at this point.

DarthRaiderBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yes. Aqua Rock Designs. I'm not a huge fan of the black coloring but it fills up with coralline pretty quickly. Saving up to get some more from them for different tanks! I have some in the back of the Chaos Box that have completely been covered with palys that are encrusting off the rock to the glass at this point.
Awesome, thanks. Definitely going to look into some of them. Much appreciated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back