New desert reefer

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R. We sure are glad to have you.

Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this forum kindly helped me rehab a puffer in the Diseases forum, I've been meaning to become a regular contributor. I'm new-ish to saltwater (two years or so) but have kept freshwater tanks for many years. I currently work in the (freshwater) aquaculture industry for a living as I finish grad school (one more year, yee).

Please enjoy some candid shots of my mostly current projects:
My Chaos Box. It's floating by on top offs and benign neglect these days but I'd like to change things up a bit soon.
tempImageaSe7pM.jpg

IMG_2735.jpeg

This is the 10g holding tank for corals (mostly red twizzler zoa herpes) that my Toby decided were on the menu. It too needs some messing with. ***** in this pic (usually the alveopora is as big as my hand) due to a water change just performed. I don't really take a ton of pics of this one.
IMG_2786.jpeg

One is a pest tank with a small Eunice worm, the other is an open book.
I may move the pests to the bigger digs.
IMG_2781.jpeg

This tank is full of TBS aquacultured rock and some different macro cuttings. My intent is to rig a salt marsh style reservoir in the planter sitting across up there in the back that tank water is pumped up to and then return from, like a sump of sorts. I'd like to keep a variety of weird inverts and will be hooking up a dosing system for phyto and ferts.

IMG_2787.JPG

My old blackwater...been upgraded to a 60 breeder with loads more emergent growth, but I need to take new pics.
IMG_2086.jpeg

Old pond.
IMG_2272.jpeg

(The mangroves are in a freshwater bucket at the moment).

And I also have a 40 gallon tall that is temporarily housing a small porcupine puffer.

My goals are to upgrade my pumps and lights on some tanks, learn how to test my water more reliably and not be so afraid of SPS!

I tend to like experimenting with things and enjoy building the ecosystem from the smallest components upward, which IMO is more fascinating with marine tanks. I'll likely only create a journal for the salt marsh tank and potentially the Chaos Box, but thank you for taking a look at my other lovelies.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This might help you find people local to you - depending where whirlpool is located:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back