New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium hydroxide really hurts! Was messing with doser, and line popped of and spilled some on my face! Not far from my eyes.
20231108_224425.jpg

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium hydroxide really hurts! Was messing with doser, and line popped of and spilled some on my face! Not far from my eyes.
20231108_224425.jpg

Definitely wear safety glasses when using it and many of the other harsh chemical we use.

It's the number one mantra of lab safety.

If you are exposed, rinse the area right away with large amounts of water.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the links aren't working anymore in the thread. Where is everyone buying their raw materials these days for the DIY 2-part sodium hydroxide?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend this recipe as being easier, and recommend tropic Marin Balling Part C for part 3.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend this recipe as being easier, and recommend tropic Marin Balling Part C for part 3.

I was looking at this one specifically because it included the magnesium in the "2-part". Do you not recommend doing that anymore? I was trying to keep dosing pumps to a minimum on this tank.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at this one specifically because it included the magnesium in the "2-part". Do you not recommend doing that anymore? I was trying to keep dosing pumps to a minimum on this tank.

It is not as good as the version I mentioned, which balances many mire ions, but it is likely good enough.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For this version:, how much of each of each,part to increase Alk by .5 dhk in a 60 gallon?

The sodium hydroxide version:

Part 1 - The Calcium and Magnesium Part
Dissolve 500 g of calcium chloride dihydrate plus 261.2 g of magnesium chloride hexahydrate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.

Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part
Dissolve 282.8 g of sodium hydroxide (=7.07 moles of sodium hydroxide to match the 3.535 moles of sodium carbonate in alkalinity) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS SOLUTION: IT HAS A pH ABOVE 14. Do not get it in your eyes or on your skin.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For this version:, how much of each of each,part to increase Alk by .5 dhk in a 60 gallon?

The sodium hydroxide version:

Part 1 - The Calcium and Magnesium Part
Dissolve 500 g of calcium chloride dihydrate plus 261.2 g of magnesium chloride hexahydrate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.
Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part
Dissolve 282.8 g of sodium hydroxide (=7.07 moles of sodium hydroxide to match the 3.535 moles of sodium carbonate in alkalinity) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS SOLUTION: IT HAS A pH ABOVE 14. Do not get it in your eyes or on your skin.
Use this calculator and select “Liquid Soda Ash” to calculate it.

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley also, could you please tell me how to make a sodium and sulphate part that is based on sodium carbonate but with the same alkalinity strength as the hydroxide version? I want to be able to switch between the two depending on pH for ultimate complexity!

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley also, could you please tell me how to make a sodium and sulphate part that is based on sodium carbonate but with the same alkalinity strength as the hydroxide version? I want to be able to switch between the two depending on pH for ultimate complexity!

Thanks in advance.

Use 1.33 times as much Na2CO3 as the recipe calls for in NaOH. Everything else identical.

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much!
Sorry I have an other question. Sorry if you've answered this somewhere in the thread but I missed it.

10 ml of my current alkalinity supplement raises dkh in 100 litres by 1dKH. What would 1 ml in 100 raise dkh by for your DIY recipe?

Many thanks again!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have an other question. Sorry if you've answered this somewhere in the thread but I missed it.

10 ml of my current alkalinity supplement raises dkh in 100 litres by 1dKH. What would 1 ml in 100 raise dkh by for your DIY recipe?

Many thanks again!
1mL of Randy’s high pH alkalinity solution would raise 100L by 0.053dKH.

Use this calculator and select BRS liquid soda ash. Much easier for you to calculate your alk dosing needs for the future. :)

Last edited:

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1mL of Randy’s high pH alkalinity solution would raise 100L by 0.053dKH.

Use this calculator and select BRS liquid soda ash. Much easier for you to calculate your alk dosing needs for the future. :)

Thank you! Does sodium hydroxide supply the same then as soda ash?

I wonder if I can make it more concentrated to avoid having to fill up containers as much, but not a massive issue if not! Will still save me a fortune.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sodium hydroxide supply the same then as soda ash?
If you follow the recipes provided by Randy Holmes-Farley, both recipes provide the same concentration of alk.

Hydroxide can be made a little more concentrated, but the calcium chloride will be limited (it’s already near its max solubility limit).

My recommendation is to keep the same stock recipe that Randy provided for these 2 reasons:

1) It’s simpler to dose: dose the same volume of each part to maintain alk. Calcium and magnesium will then remain in line. Easy to remember and less math required.

2) Less finicky: at higher concentrations, local precipitation near the dosing line considerably increases. You will need to increase turbidity near the dosing lines and slow down the flow rate of the alk line to prevent precipitation, which wastes the solution and can cause a mess in the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back