New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

Thank you so much Randy. I used to worry about low pH levels, and I really appreciate everything you've done to help. I hope you have a wonderful day.:):)

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)
 
Hi Randy, recently I used sodium hydroxide as a alkalinity supplement, the PH has stabilized from 8.0 to 8.2, the effect is very good, but every time there are a lot of white precipitates, so I am a little upset.
 
Hi Randy, recently I used sodium hydroxide as a alkalinity supplement, the PH has stabilized from 8.0 to 8.2, the effect is very good, but every time there are a lot of white precipitates, so I am a little upset.

The precipitates remain, or dissolve?

Its important to add slowly to a high flow area.
 
I can use the pump to blow away the sediment. If I don't use the pump, the sediment will remain for a long time,Is this a reaction?
 

Attachments

  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 85
I can use the pump to blow away the sediment. If I don't use the pump, the sediment will remain for a long time,Is this a reaction?
That is precipitation. That will not redissolve.

You need to dose slower into a high flow area.

Spread out the dose and keep the pump near that area.
 
I can use the pump to blow away the sediment. If I don't use the pump, the sediment will remain for a long time,Is this a reaction?
This is common with hydroxide dosing. I dose I to a power heard that dissolves it very quickly.
 
If it redissolves, it is magnesium hydroxide and that temporary formation is normal but try to mix it in faster to avoid settling of the solids.

If it doesn’t redissolve, it is calcium carbonate. You want to avoid that as it wastes the additives.
 
If it redissolves, it is magnesium hydroxide and that temporary formation is normal but try to mix it in faster to avoid settling of the solids.

If it doesn’t redissolve, it is calcium carbonate. You want to avoid that as it wastes the additives.
Yeah, I blew it off with a pump, and it dissolved very quickly, it should be magnesium hydroxide, but I used sodium bicarbonate before, and over time, it will have a white substance, and I guess it should be calcium carbonate, because it doesn't dissolve.Thanks for your help, Randy, so I don't have to worry anymore:D
 
Hello @Randy Holmes-Farley ,
In the version of "sodium hydroxide"
Is it necessary to add sodium sulfate for "Part 2" of Alkalinity?
If I periodically use "Balling C"...
 
This may already be answered here, but the search didn't yield anything for me.
using seachem reef advantage mag (80mg mag per 1g) for the part one I stick with the recommended 261g with enough water (and 500g calcium) to make a gallon volume.
bonus question: this calcium work?
https://a.co/d/01T1TXZ2
 
Here's a first crack at what may end up being multiple possible recipes for a DIY two part that either has a higher pH or can be made more concentrated than traditional two part recipes. This one has about twice the pH raising effect compared to a carbonate based two part, per unit of alkalinity or calcium added. Note that I have neither made nor used this recipe. I fully expect it to work, but first adopters will be guinea pigs. :D

Note that the formation of some cloudiness of magnesium hydroxide is expected when the alk part hits the water (as carbonate versions also do). That is OK since it redissolves on mixing in more. But since the local pH is higher, there may be more chance for local precipitation of calcium carbonate, which is not optimal since it may waste additive (but otherwise is not a huge problem, IMO). To reduce this chance, add slowly to a very high flow area.

This first one is based on Jim Welsh's version of a DIY two part:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...hould-i-expect-to-change.215171/#post-2466696

Jim's recipe (with some text added by me):

Part 1 - The Calcium and Magnesium Part​
Dissolve 500 g of calcium chloride dihydrate plus 261.2 g of magnesium chloride hexahydrate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.​
​
Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part​
Dissolve 374.7 g of sodium carbonate (594 g of baking soda that has been baked; = 3.535 moles of sodium carbonate) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.​
​
This recipe is the same strength as Randy's Recipe #1 (e.g., BRS). To make these two parts with the same strength as B-Ionic, then multiply the amounts of the salts by 1.5 (but note dissolving the carbonate can become challenging).​

The sodium hydroxide version:

Part 1 - The Calcium and Magnesium Part​
Dissolve 500 g of calcium chloride dihydrate plus 261.2 g of magnesium chloride hexahydrate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.​
​
Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part​
Dissolve 282.8 g of sodium hydroxide (=7.07 moles of sodium hydroxide to match the 3.535 moles of sodium carbonate in alkalinity) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS SOLUTION: IT HAS A pH ABOVE 14. Do not get it in your eyes or on your skin.​
​
This recipe is the same strength as Randy's Recipe #1 (e.g., BRS). To make these two parts with the same strength as B-Ionic, then multiply the amounts of the salts by 1.5. This version can readily be made more concentrated, if that is a goal.​
Randy,
I have 225 gallon system keeping mostly acros, and some other stuff.
my system been running for 8 years.
I started dosing the sodium hydroxide version of this recipe.

my ph. was consistently low. specially at night hitting 7.55, and i would not raise above 8 until 3pm.
I tried an outside airline for the skimmer and co2 absorbent media with a very small effect.
I have a refugium with soft corals on reverse light cycle.
After i started dosing this recipe, and doing kalkwasser only at night, my ph is improved, it is going from 8.2 to 8.5.
If my compsumtion of alk incresases, how can i prevent my ph to going much higher than this during the day?
how high can it get before i have to worry?

Thanks!
Martin
PXL_20240424_001521112.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley I’m considering a switch to this recipe to boost pH. I have elevated sulfates in my tank though. Any reservations about using this recipe? Should I omit the sulfate from part 2? I do periodic ICP testing already, so I could choose to add it back to a future batch if ICP results indicate the need.
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley I’m considering a switch to this recipe to boost pH. I have elevated sulfates in my tank though. Any reservations about using this recipe? Should I omit the sulfate from part 2? I do periodic ICP testing already, so I could choose to add it back to a future batch if ICP results indicate the need.
Not Randy, but logically, I don’t see why you can’t opt out of the sodium sulfate if you already have elevated sulfate.

The hydroxide in this recipe has the same concentration as the 3-part version, so opting out will give you everything except the extra sodium and sulfate, which should work perfectly in your case.
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley is there a specific way to dose Sodium Hydroxide to raise pH? I'm trying to figure out a starting point of dosing this to raise my pH from 7.8 to 8.2 I rarely hit 8.0 I've tested for co2, I left windows open, I would like to try this. Over a 12hr period to dose over night. Would you have any suggestions of were to start with how many ml? Thanks for the guidance!
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley is there a specific way to dose Sodium Hydroxide to raise pH? I'm trying to figure out a starting point of dosing this to raise my pH from 7.8 to 8.2 I rarely hit 8.0 I've tested for co2, I left windows open, I would like to try this. Over a 12hr period to dose over night. Would you have any suggestions of were to start with how many ml? Thanks for the guidance!

I’d dose it based on alkalinity demand. Do you know your tank alk demand now?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new