New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recipes listed in the first post of this thread are designed to be a true two-part meaning that they have the Mg part already mixed in, so, no you don't need to dose extra Mg after each gallon of Alk and Ca.

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recipes listed in the first post of this thread are designed to be a true two-part meaning that they have the Mg part already mixed in, so, no you don't need to dose extra Mg after each gallon of Alk and Ca.

Thank you. I posted on the wrong thread. I meant to post on the thread with newer version where Mg is separate. My apologies.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Thought Id ask in case the Mg mix has to be dosed for ionic balance.

I’m stuck here too.

Basically I currently use (and have only used) RHF improved 2 part and chose to use the Mag chloride & sulphate mixture in one for Magnesium. I’m dosing equal parts of Alk & Cal and as and when Mag is needed I manually dose.

Now I want to know if Tropic Marin original balling ‘part c’ contains the correct mix of Mag chloride & sulphate in this salt as RHF method? Or if it only has one part of the Mag?
Now I ask this question as BRSTV seemed to say the Tropic Marin ‘part c’ can be dosed simultaneously is equal parts to Alk and Cal. This would be good if possible as it will allow trace elements to be added to my current RHF 2 part method.

I currently do no-weekly water changes 15%. So are trace elements being replace here or only slightly?

Can I use Tropic Marin ‘part c’ alongside RHF improved 2 part?

TIA

A.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I ask this question as BRSTV seemed to say the Tropic Marin ‘part c’ can be dosed simultaneously is equal parts to Alk and Cal. This would be good if possible as it will allow trace elements to be added to my current RHF 2 part method.

I currently do no-weekly water changes 15%. So are trace elements being replace here or only slightly?

TIA

A.

That should work. The first two parts of Balling are just Sodium carbonate/bicarbonate in one and calcium chloride in the other. That's all my two parts are as well. That said, I cannot say how much of it you will need.

Not that Balling does not supplement trace elements against demand like macroalgae uptake. So you may still need trace elements.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work. The first two parts of Balling are just Sodium carbonate/bicarbonate in one and calcium chloride in the other. That's all my two parts are as well. That said, I cannot say how much of it you will need.

Not that Balling does not supplement trace elements against demand like macroalgae uptake. So you may still need trace elements.

How could this be worked out regarding how much ‘part c’ I would need? Do I get measurements from Tropic Marin direct?

Also if I swap out the RHF Mag mix and just use the Tropic Marin ‘part c’ will it be sufficient or will I need to buffer using RHF Mag mix as and when.

Thanks in advance,

A.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could this be worked out regarding how much ‘part c’ I would need? Do I get measurements from Tropic Marin direct?

Also if I swap out the RHF Mag mix and just use the Tropic Marin ‘part c’ will it be sufficient or will I need to buffer using RHF Mag mix as and when.

Thanks in advance,

A.

I'm not sure about how much part c you will need when using Randy's recipe if mixing to the Tropic Marin directions but it will be more than if you are using Tropic Marin balling A and B since it is weaker. I'm sure you could figure out how much more part c powder to mix to keep your dosing amounts the same. As far as magnesium, in my tank I have to dose magnesium occasionally in addition to what is in part c.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about how much part c you will need when using Randy's recipe if mixing to the Tropic Marin directions but it will be more than if you are using Tropic Marin balling A and B since it is weaker. I'm sure you could figure out how much more part c powder to mix to keep your dosing amounts the same. As far as magnesium, in my tank I have to dose magnesium occasionally in addition to what is in part c.

Thank you for progressing this question I have, hoping more will be discussed and help me get it right before I go ahead and use Tropic Marin ‘part c’. I love the fact RHF 2 part is measured to dose equal parts which is why I want to keep it that way, however I like the idea of adding trace elements. Not too keen on manually adding them individually which is why ‘part c’ is appealing. Just need to work out the Magnesium part and if I dose RHF Mag along side Tropic Marin ‘part c’ or not? And what measurements to go by??

Thanks,

A.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stuck here too.

Basically I currently use (and have only used) RHF improved 2 part and chose to use the Mag chloride & sulphate mixture in one for Magnesium. I’m dosing equal parts of Alk & Cal and as and when Mag is needed I manually dose.

Now I want to know if Tropic Marin original balling ‘part c’ contains the correct mix of Mag chloride & sulphate in this salt as RHF method? Or if it only has one part of the Mag?

TIA

A.
I don't know what the exact concentrations of RHF's two part method are. But knowing the concentrations of the Tropic Marin Part C solution along with his, should allow you to do the math and figure out what the "equal parts" would look like. So here are the specific concentrations of the Tropic Marin Balling Method solutions:
Concentration of solution:
Calcium chloride dihydrate (part A): 20.000 mg/l (ppm) Ca
Sodium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate (part B): 2800° dKH/l
Sodium chloride free sea salt (part C): 3350 mg/l Mg; 980 mg/l K

Please keep in mind that if you are using the Tropic Marin Balling Part C along with pretty much any Part A and Part B that are calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate/carbonate, you are doing "The Balling Method". In my experience, the biggest misunderstanding among newer users of the Balling Method, is that they assume the Part C is "supplementing" the Mg and trace elements in the system. In fact, the Part C is made up of Mg and trace elements, but when using it in The Balling Method you are adding those Mg and traces to the system, but All that you ad is just to regain the ionic balance in the system after the Part A and Part B leave you with excess sodium chloride. This Part C addition does NOT "supplement" for the usage of Mg and trace elements by the system and corals. And, in fact, the Balling Part C is not the best way to "supplement" for Mg and trace elements because it includes ALL of the 70 trace elements found in sea water, in natural sea water concentrations. Technically, you only want to replace certain trace elements and in different concentrations designed for supplementation. So when using The Balling Method, you still want to supplement trace elements and Mg separately.

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy or anyone else who can answer this question. I can not seem to find it answered anywhere, there are a lot of pages to this thread.
My tank uses a lot of this solution and I am trying to figure out exactly how much salt water I need to be removing from the tank each day to balance the increase in salinity that using the sodium carbonate/ sodium sulphate true 2 part causes.

From what Jim Welsh has said using this mixture will increase the free NaCl by 419g/gallon of 2 part. If this is correct and mixed seawater has approximately 30g/l of Nacl then my calculations has it for every litre of each part I would be adding 3.7l of saltwater.

Every day I add 160ml of part A and 160ml of part B should I be removing 592ml (just over 2 cups) of saltwater every day from my tank to maintain my salinity?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 g/l seems low. I’m on a phone at the moment, so can’t easily link them, but my diy two part articles at the top of this forum show the salinity rise calculations for an example of a certain dKH per day over a year.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, as previously raised, I’m very happy using this method however I just would like to know if I should be considering adding trace elements etc?

So far I’ve considered Tropic Marin ‘part c’ and now I’m drawn to Tropic Marin A- & K+

Does the RHF improved recipe account for trace elements or is it simply Alk, Cal & Mag?

Thanks,

A.

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 g/l seems low. I’m on a phone at the moment, so can’t easily link them, but my diy two part articles at the top of this forum show the salinity rise calculations for an example of a certain dKH per day over a year.

it is my understanding that there is 35g/litre of a salt mixs in 35ppt salt water. Not all of that is NaCl. From what I can find 35ppt salinity has 30g/l of actual NaCl. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am also basing this on Jim Welsh's calculation of 419 g on NaCl in a gallon of 2 parts (1 gallon of each). Again please correct me if I am wrong.

I have seen your other threads about the ppt raise in a tank of high use and low use over a year. What I am trying to come up with is a rough amount I need to be removing of tank water each day to keep it balanced. I have been finding it creeping up even though I have been removing about a cup a day (including skimate).

n4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What mixing container is everyone using for this?
I’m currently using the BRS jugs, but they aren’t holding the heat well while mixing, even when poured slowly as it’s mixed.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the container in a bucket with some cold water. That will help you with heat.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, this is such a long thread. Has a standardized solution been finalized, and have the majority of users given the thumbs-up? What's the final recommendation for each?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the effect of using calcium chloride (Excel Ice Melt) vs. dihydrate? What adjustments should be made?

Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the effect of using calcium chloride (Excel Ice Melt) vs. dihydrate? What adjustments should be made?
Disregard. It looks like I'll reduce the CaCl by 20%.

As far as the 2-part dosing claculator, which products would we select from the pull-down menus when using this new recipe?

What's the word from the guinea pigs?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back