OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all: has anybody tried the two part only with NaOH and CaCl2 and the Tropic Marin part C to balance ions?

That will work perfectly fine.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this out and ended up stopping for the time being. I got some stn on some sps which could be attribited to several factors so I turned of the doser and haven't gotten back to it. STN has stopped but not sure what fixed it, i have a list of suspects. I recommend that you start slow at maybe 1/4 the recommended dose. I'm wishing I had done that. Will give it a go again in a few months.

Unless the Part C was contaminated with something not intended to be in it, it cannot cause that problem.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley @redfishbluefish can the 3/32 ID on the tubing I am using be the issues with the clogging ? I was just wondering before I order the above suggesting tubing in the same size.
Looking to get the 2375 in the same size.

B98860DE-FCC1-4DAE-93FB-75341BEDC02F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley @redfishbluefish can the can the 3/32 ID on the tubing I was am using be the issues with the clogging ? I was just wondering before I order the above suggesting tubing in the same size.

I don't think so. Sending in the calcium part when it previously held the alk part could. Or not fully cleaning out the previous recipe alk part.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. Sending in the calcium part when it previously held the alk part could. Or not fully cleaning out the previous recipe alk part.
Ok I’ll order the new tubing and I think not cleaning out the alk container really well might be the issues with the clogging when I come to think of it! Thx for the help.

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dose BRS 2 part (soda ash & calcium chloride) and combining Tropic Marin elements A- and K+ respectively.

If I substitute the soda ash for sodium hydroxide, can I still combine it with the A- trace elements?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dose BRS 2 part (soda ash & calcium chloride) and combining Tropic Marin elements A- and K+ respectively.

If I substitute the soda ash for sodium hydroxide, can I still combine it with the A- trace elements?

I think so.

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to find out if it would be possible to find out if I would see a increase in my pH with the amount I dose or if it wouldn't be worth it? I know I could always just try it and see but wanted to ask first. So I have a 90 gallon system and have a air line hooked to the skimmer from outside as well as a Co2 scrubber. The current low and high of my pH is 8.2-8.43 and the Alk is 7.45 right now. I slow drip 40mL of the regular 2 Part during a 12 hour period. Would the 40mL during the 12hr period be too small of a dose to see any pH increase?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to find out if it would be possible to find out if I would see a increase in my pH with the amount I dose or if it wouldn't be worth it? I know I could always just try it and see but wanted to ask first. So I have a 90 gallon system and have a air line hooked to the skimmer from outside as well as a Co2 scrubber. The current low and high of my pH is 8.2-8.43 and the Alk is 7.45 right now. I slow drip 40mL of the regular 2 Part during a 12 hour period. Would the 40mL during the 12hr period be too small of a dose to see any pH increase?

There's no good way to know without trying since to depends on how effective is the tank aeration that is trying to lower pH, and the level of CO2 in your home air.

But there is no additive that can do a better job at boosting pH per unit of alkalinity added.

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no good way to know without trying since to depends on how effective is the tank aeration that is trying to lower pH, and the level of CO2 in your home air.

But there is no additive that can do a better job at boosting pH per unit of alkalinity added.
Thank You.

Two more question. Just want to make sure that I can just swap the Alkalinity part and leave the calcium and Magnesium parts alone. I use the BRS Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate/chloride.

Would this Sodium Hydroxide work?

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat, I got the same brand. I dose BRS soda ash + calcium chloride. My soda ash will run out in a couple days. At that point I'll replace it with sodium hydroxide and post a before/after of my pH graphs
Thank You.

Two more question. Just want to make sure that I can just swap the Alkalinity part and leave the calcium and Magnesium parts alone. I use the BRS Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate/chloride.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You.

Yes, the recipe swaps out the alk part of my DIY only, and that is what BRS uses. :)

Yes on the product you show for food grade sodium hydroxide. :)

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard from brs and maybe also from TM that you are not supposed to mix the part C any more concentrated than 4 shoops per gallon to keep everything in solution. It takes more storage room but I'm sure they have there reasons.
It can be prepared 3,7 X more concentrated than stated by Tropic Marin, although it takes time to fully dissolve. Warming up the water and adding the powder slowly helps.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still dosing the naho with good results. My alk consumption went up a lot with my new tank and pH is getting to 8.6 after the controller stops it around 8.5ish.
@Randy Holmes-Farley what advice would you give on a max pH level to be safe for corals? The tank is running fallow right now so no fish in there yet but some inverts.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still dosing the naho with good results. My alk consumption went up a lot with my new tank and pH is getting to 8.6 after the controller stops it around 8.5ish.
@Randy Holmes-Farley what advice would you give on a max pH level to be safe for corals? The tank is running fallow right now so no fish in there yet but some inverts.

Not sure what impact high pH has on corals (its not a popular thing for scientists to study as it is not typical in the ocean), but at pH 8.6 and above, abiotic precipitation will be come more and more of a concern as the pH rises.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what impact high pH has on corals (its not a popular thing for scientists to study as it is not typical in the ocean), but at pH 8.6 and above, abiotic precipitation will be come more and more of a concern as the pH rises.
You called it Randy!
Sandbed is only 2 months old and has a hard shell. Luckily I caught it before it was too thick to crunch up. It's worth mentioning that I have been doing a lot of bolus dosing with sodium bicarbonate to correct the alk demand while adjusting the dosers, and that may have contributed. Also in the summer the house gets a lot of fresh air from an evaporative cooler. First I took the co2 media offline, then I switched back to soda ash. Will be more careful in the future but likely return to NAOH once winter is here.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You called it Randy!
Sandbed is only 2 months old and has a hard shell. Luckily I caught it before it was too thick to crunch up. It's worth mentioning that I have been doing a lot of bolus dosing with sodium bicarbonate to correct the alk demand while adjusting the dosers, and that may have contributed. Also in the summer the house gets a lot of fresh air from an evaporative cooler. First I took the co2 media offline, then I switched back to soda ash. Will be more careful in the future but likely return to NAOH once winter is here.

Thanks for the info. :)

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I've heard of people causing metal objects in their home to rust by mixing up HCl solutions in the home, due to the corrosive nature of HCl. Do you anticipate any issues like this when mixing solutions of concentrated NaOH in the home? When preparing my NaOH solution I wear gloves, coat, mask and goggles but I never considered the corrosive nature of concentrated NaOH with regards to my home. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I've heard of people causing metal objects in their home to rust by mixing up HCl solutions in the home, due to the corrosive nature of HCl. Do you anticipate any issues like this when mixing solutions of concentrated NaOH in the home? When preparing my NaOH solution I wear gloves, coat, mask and goggles but I never considered the corrosive nature of concentrated NaOH with regards to my home. Any thoughts on this?

HCl has a vapor phase, hence the fumes from concentrated hydrochloric acid.

NaOH has no significant vapor phase at any temperature short of a blast furnace, so there's no similar concern.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back