New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how I can prevent this from happening to my dosing lines ?? This is the type of tubing . Thank you

Attachments

• 4B11C809-B397-4220-A813-AF4C3850CCD5.jpeg
    4B11C809-B397-4220-A813-AF4C3850CCD5.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 108

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised to see that. Tygon 3603 is resistant to diluted acids and bases. I'm wondering if what we're seeing isn't ppt calcium carbonate? Is this line submerged below the water?

Anyway, the Tygon that is super chemical resistant to anything is Tygon 2375. Unfortunately it's not on that list I linked above.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff in the dosing tube was rock solid not just discolored .
While I was typing the above, you posted this. I've got to believe you have the tubing submerged into you tank water and what you're seeing is precipitation from tank water migrating up the tubing. Have the lines above the waterline will almost eliminate this. You'll still get a little bead of ppt on the end of the tubing that I crack off every couple weeks when I'm playing in my sump.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was typing the above, you posted this. I've got to believe you have the tubing submerged into you tank water and what you're seeing is precipitation from tank water migrating up the tubing. Have the lines above the waterline will almost eliminate this. You'll still get a little bead of ppt on the end of the tubing that I crack off every couple weeks when I'm playing in my sump.
Thx for the help!!! But my lines aren’t submerged in the water which is why I was surprised at what I saw. I been using the high ph all for about 6 weeks and I was doing some maintenance and I noticed my tubing was solid .

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all: has anybody tried the two part only with NaOH and CaCl2 and the Tropic Marin part C to balance ions?

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley @redfishbluefish So I changed out the tubing and within 24 hours the tubing was clogged solid. I used all food grade material. Any ideas ? Followed the 282.8 and 68.7 numbers. This is going to crash my tank.... it has no effect on the inner tubing of the dosing head.. I am adding b/c of the to the alk for trace elements

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspect of the Tygon 3603....good for "weak" acids and bases, but not very strong ones. I know Tygon 2375 is harder to come by.....could you possibly switch out the tubing for the tubing used for RO/DI.....readily available at HD. I believe that's PE tubing and should be able to take the high pH solution.

Just to understand what you're saying, the only place you're getting ppt is post pump in the Tygon tubing....No ppt pre pump tubing (whatever that might be), or in the container.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley @redfishbluefish So I changed out the tubing and within 24 hours the tubing was clogged solid. I used all food grade material. Any ideas ? Followed the 282.8 and 68.7 numbers. This is going to crash my tank.... it has no effect on the inner tubing of the dosing head
I'm suspect of the Tygon 3603....good for "weak" acids and bases, but not very strong ones. I know Tygon 2375 is harder to come by.....could you possibly switch out the tubing for the tubing used for RO/DI.....readily available at HD. I believe that's PE tubing and should be able to take the high pH solution.

Just to understand what you're saying, the only place you're getting ppt is post pump in the Tygon tubing....No ppt pre pump tubing (whatever that might be), or in the container.
Hello and thank you again for taking the time and trying to help. Yes the only place this is occurring is in the dosing tubing. Not in the line holders in the sump or the plastic feed tubes in the container. Do you think the diameter of the tubing can be the issue ?

Attachments

• D049C0FD-FCCA-47B6-830D-301BE14EFB96.jpeg
    D049C0FD-FCCA-47B6-830D-301BE14EFB96.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 53

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this online

Attachments

• 0A2BF83B-D15C-4F1E-A97D-8505B03CE0FC.png
    0A2BF83B-D15C-4F1E-A97D-8505B03CE0FC.png
    269.4 KB · Views: 67

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all: has anybody tried the two part only with NaOH and CaCl2 and the Tropic Marin part C to balance ions?
I tried this out and ended up stopping for the time being. I got some stn on some sps which could be attribited to several factors so I turned of the doser and haven't gotten back to it. STN has stopped but not sure what fixed it, i have a list of suspects. I recommend that you start slow at maybe 1/4 the recommended dose. I'm wishing I had done that. Will give it a go again in a few months.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this out and ended up stopping for the time being. I got some stn on some sps which could be attribited to several factors so I turned of the doser and haven't gotten back to it. STN has stopped but not sure what fixed it, i have a list of suspects. I recommend that you start slow at maybe 1/4 the recommended dose. I'm wishing I had done that. Will give it a go again in a few months.
All my dosing is done automatically through my Alkatronic based off my KH readings

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you had that STN problem. Did you make any calculation of how much Part C you would have to add? I mean comparing the strength of the DIY NaOH solution and the carbonate/bicarbonate Tropic Marin solution.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my dosing is done automatically through my Alkatronic based off my KH readings
I use the Two Part with NaOH and CaCl2 at 2X strength. That is is around 3,7 more times the concentrations of the Tropic Marin Parts A and B. Therefore, you should prepare Part C by dissolving 3,7 more times the amount indicated by Tropic Marin (120 g/ 5 l, that is, 444 g/ 5 l). Then use roughly the same amount of each solution (CaCl2, NaOH and Part C), and fine tune it by measuring alkalinity, calcium and magnessium to the desired concentrations in the tank.

Additionally, an ICP should be performed after a few weeks to check the evolution of Na, Cl and trace elements.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed brs mixing and dosing instructions, 4 scoops per gallon and dosed same as soda ask, 2x alk dosage daily.
I'm sorry you had that STN problem. Did you make any calculation of how much Part C you would have to add? I mean comparing the strength of the DIY NaOH solution and the carbonate/bicarbonate Tropic Marin solution.
I followed brs mixing and dosing instructions, 4 scoops per gallon and dosed same as soda ask, 2x alk dosage daily.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Two Part with NaOH and CaCl2 at 2X strength. That is is around 3,7 more times the concentrations of the Tropic Marin Parts A and B. Therefore, you should prepare Part C by dissolving 3,7 more times the amount indicated by Tropic Marin (120 g/ 5 l, that is, 444 g/ 5 l). Then use roughly the same amount of each solution (CaCl2, NaOH and Part C), and fine tune it by measuring alkalinity, calcium and magnessium to the desired concentrations in the tank.

Additionally, an ICP should be performed after a few weeks to check the evolution of Na, Cl and trace elements.
I have heard from brs and maybe also from TM that you are not supposed to mix the part C any more concentrated than 4 shoops per gallon to keep everything in solution. It takes more storage room but I'm sure they have there reasons.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back