New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

https://www.triton.de/en/
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm using the two-part with pH boost, which contains a fixed amount of magnesium. I'm not adding additional magnesium as the amount indicated in the recipe seems to be enough to keep an stable parameter.
[/QUOTE]

Using sodium sulfate as well?

Then the DIY two part recipe is adding an appropriate amount of magnesium and sulfate, and since those are by far (very far) the two highest ingredients in a sodium chloride free salt mix, using such a product may not be optimal as you will overload on magnesium and sulfate over time. But it will add the other missing ingredients such as potassium.

I personally would add just potassium chloride, and not the whole mix. If you want to do that, i can calculate the needed amount.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score

Then the DIY two part recipe is adding an appropriate amount of magnesium and sulfate, and since those are by far (very far) the two highest ingredients in a sodium chloride free salt mix, using such a product may not be optimal as you will overload on magnesium and sulfate over time. But it will add the other missing ingredients such as potassium.

I personally would add just potassium chloride, and not the whole mix. If you want to do that, i can calculate the needed amount.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm using sodium sulfate as well.

Just adding potassium chloride is a good idea, as I test for it on a routine basis and I can add whatever is needed.

In that case, would you suggest not adding any sodium chloride free salt and just compensate the salinity increase by adding some fresh water on a daily basis?

OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score

Just adding potassium chloride is a good idea, as I test for it on a routine basis and I can add whatever is needed.

In that case, would you suggest not adding any sodium chloride free salt and just compensate the salinity increase by adding some fresh water on a daily basis?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's a fine plan.

Everything else (especially trace elements) are best added with a trace element supplement anyway, not by a Part C addition which generally adds too little to actually be a supplement.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score

Yes, that's a fine plan.

Everything else (especially trace elements) are best added with a trace element supplement anyway, not by a Part C addition which generally adds too little to actually be a supplement.
[/QUOTE]

Thank's a lot Randy. As always, great advice.

https://www.triton.de/en/

Do we test our water too much and for too many things nowadays?

• Yes

Votes: 118 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 190 50.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 64 17.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors