• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

https://www.triton.de/en/
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm using the two-part with pH boost, which contains a fixed amount of magnesium. I'm not adding additional magnesium as the amount indicated in the recipe seems to be enough to keep an stable parameter.
[/QUOTE]

Using sodium sulfate as well?

Then the DIY two part recipe is adding an appropriate amount of magnesium and sulfate, and since those are by far (very far) the two highest ingredients in a sodium chloride free salt mix, using such a product may not be optimal as you will overload on magnesium and sulfate over time. But it will add the other missing ingredients such as potassium.

I personally would add just potassium chloride, and not the whole mix. If you want to do that, i can calculate the needed amount.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score

Then the DIY two part recipe is adding an appropriate amount of magnesium and sulfate, and since those are by far (very far) the two highest ingredients in a sodium chloride free salt mix, using such a product may not be optimal as you will overload on magnesium and sulfate over time. But it will add the other missing ingredients such as potassium.

I personally would add just potassium chloride, and not the whole mix. If you want to do that, i can calculate the needed amount.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm using sodium sulfate as well.

Just adding potassium chloride is a good idea, as I test for it on a routine basis and I can add whatever is needed.

In that case, would you suggest not adding any sodium chloride free salt and just compensate the salinity increase by adding some fresh water on a daily basis?

OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score

Just adding potassium chloride is a good idea, as I test for it on a routine basis and I can add whatever is needed.

In that case, would you suggest not adding any sodium chloride free salt and just compensate the salinity increase by adding some fresh water on a daily basis?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's a fine plan.

Everything else (especially trace elements) are best added with a trace element supplement anyway, not by a Part C addition which generally adds too little to actually be a supplement.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score

Yes, that's a fine plan.

Everything else (especially trace elements) are best added with a trace element supplement anyway, not by a Part C addition which generally adds too little to actually be a supplement.
[/QUOTE]

Thank's a lot Randy. As always, great advice.

OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Can I use this for the sodium hydroxide part?

I cannot know how pure it is. The 100% really says nothing useful for us.

This reef chemistry question of the days discusses that 100% issue:

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I cannot know how pure it is. The 100% really says nothing useful for us.

This reef chemistry question of the days discusses that 100% issue:

Thanks, Randy.

I ended up ordering some food grade stuff via amazon.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Randy, Need to raise Sulphar 31mg/l. Was going to make your epson salt recipe and am looking to raise it over 4 days with 170g water volume. Could help me figure out proper dosage over the 4 days? Thank You

OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Randy, Need to raise Sulphar 31mg/l. Was going to make your epson salt recipe and am looking to raise it over 4 days with 170g water volume. Could help me figure out proper dosage over the 4 days? Thank You
Epsom salt will raise sulfur by 1.32 times as much as it raises magnesium (that's measured as S, not SO4--).

Knowing that, you can use this calculator and euse the entry for Epsom salt:

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
thank you the link i clicked on the reef keeping recipe page didn't work

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of epson, 268g per 9.4oz. I want to raise S by 31 w/175g volume. So I multiplied 31 by 1.32 so current mag 1367 desired 1408 hit calculate 268 per 9.4oz 175g volume.

OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of epson, 268g per 9.4oz. I want to raise S by 31 w/175g volume. So I multiplied 31 by 1.32 so current mag 1367 desired 1408 hit calculate 268 per 9.4oz 175g volume.
You divide by the 1.32, not multiply. The calculator gives 153 g after dividing.

Like raising magnesium, it takes a lot. Epsom salt is less than 20% sulfur by weight, and 31 mg/l x 643 liters (your tank volume) gives 20,000 mg (20 g) of S. In terms of epsom salt that is less than 20% S, you multiply by 5, so it takes more than 20 x 5 = 100 g.

https://www.omegasea.net/

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow! This is an awesome thread! I read the whole thing and the new 3 part as well. Just ordered 10 lb NAOH. I will start on the new three part recipe until I use up what I have on hand and then give the 2 part a try. I am particularly interested in adding trace elements which I am currently dosing weekly but would be easier if I could add them to the 2 part. Also plan to continue using Kalk via a stirrer and an Apex Dos which I currently have on line. Since the Kalk doesn't raise salinity and has a similar PH effect I don't see a reason to discontinue it. My tank is packed with SPS so the Kalk is not enough although I do try to maximize it by testing the conductivity coming out of the Kalk Stirrer. Around 3000 ppm seem to be the sweet spot for fully saturated mixture but that is just based on my observations.
I have been considering an elaborate CO2 scrubber with solenoids and outside air draw but think this is the easiest and most cost effective thing to try first for PH boost.
Really great information and thanks to all who have contributed!!!

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow! This is an awesome thread! I read the whole thing and the new 3 part as well. Just ordered 10 lb NAOH. I will start on the new three part recipe until I use up what I have on hand and then give the 2 part a try. I am particularly interested in adding trace elements which I am currently dosing weekly but would be easier if I could add them to the 2 part. Also plan to continue using Kalk via a stirrer and an Apex Dos which I currently have on line. Since the Kalk doesn't raise salinity and has a similar PH effect I don't see a reason to discontinue it. My tank is packed with SPS so the Kalk is not enough although I do try to maximize it by testing the conductivity coming out of the Kalk Stirrer. Around 3000 ppm seem to be the sweet spot for fully saturated mixture but that is just based on my observations.
I have been considering an elaborate CO2 scrubber with solenoids and outside air draw but think this is the easiest and most cost effective thing to try first for PH boost.
Really great information and thanks to all who have contributed!!!
I use both systems. The two part with NaOH for increased pH and an outside air line connected to the skimmer via a CO2 scrubber. As the windows are open for longer times now the pH in the tank is in the range 8,25 - 8,6. In winter the range is 8,0 - 8,3.

By the way, I have solved the problem related to salinity increase. I use a KH Director and have programmed it to perform three measurements per day. As the volume of sample per measurement is 100 ml that makes for 300 ml taken daily from the tank and, obviously, replaced with fresh water. That makes the salinity to remain steady.

https://www.triton.de/en/

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 173 43.9%
  • Every Month

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 47 11.9%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 44 11.2%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 18 4.6%