OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the two-part with pH boost, which contains a fixed amount of magnesium. I'm not adding additional magnesium as the amount indicated in the recipe seems to be enough to keep an stable parameter.
[/QUOTE]

Using sodium sulfate as well?

Then the DIY two part recipe is adding an appropriate amount of magnesium and sulfate, and since those are by far (very far) the two highest ingredients in a sodium chloride free salt mix, using such a product may not be optimal as you will overload on magnesium and sulfate over time. But it will add the other missing ingredients such as potassium.

I personally would add just potassium chloride, and not the whole mix. If you want to do that, i can calculate the needed amount.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then the DIY two part recipe is adding an appropriate amount of magnesium and sulfate, and since those are by far (very far) the two highest ingredients in a sodium chloride free salt mix, using such a product may not be optimal as you will overload on magnesium and sulfate over time. But it will add the other missing ingredients such as potassium.

I personally would add just potassium chloride, and not the whole mix. If you want to do that, i can calculate the needed amount.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm using sodium sulfate as well.

Just adding potassium chloride is a good idea, as I test for it on a routine basis and I can add whatever is needed.

In that case, would you suggest not adding any sodium chloride free salt and just compensate the salinity increase by adding some fresh water on a daily basis?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just adding potassium chloride is a good idea, as I test for it on a routine basis and I can add whatever is needed.

In that case, would you suggest not adding any sodium chloride free salt and just compensate the salinity increase by adding some fresh water on a daily basis?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's a fine plan.

Everything else (especially trace elements) are best added with a trace element supplement anyway, not by a Part C addition which generally adds too little to actually be a supplement.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, that's a fine plan.

Everything else (especially trace elements) are best added with a trace element supplement anyway, not by a Part C addition which generally adds too little to actually be a supplement.
[/QUOTE]

Thank's a lot Randy. As always, great advice.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use this for the sodium hydroxide part?

I cannot know how pure it is. The 100% really says nothing useful for us.

This reef chemistry question of the days discusses that 100% issue:

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot know how pure it is. The 100% really says nothing useful for us.

This reef chemistry question of the days discusses that 100% issue:

Thanks, Randy.

I ended up ordering some food grade stuff via amazon.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, Need to raise Sulphar 31mg/l. Was going to make your epson salt recipe and am looking to raise it over 4 days with 170g water volume. Could help me figure out proper dosage over the 4 days? Thank You

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, Need to raise Sulphar 31mg/l. Was going to make your epson salt recipe and am looking to raise it over 4 days with 170g water volume. Could help me figure out proper dosage over the 4 days? Thank You

Epsom salt will raise sulfur by 1.32 times as much as it raises magnesium (that's measured as S, not SO4--).

Knowing that, you can use this calculator and euse the entry for Epsom salt:

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you the link i clicked on the reef keeping recipe page didn't work

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of epson, 268g per 9.4oz. I want to raise S by 31 w/175g volume. So I multiplied 31 by 1.32 so current mag 1367 desired 1408 hit calculate 268 per 9.4oz 175g volume.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of epson, 268g per 9.4oz. I want to raise S by 31 w/175g volume. So I multiplied 31 by 1.32 so current mag 1367 desired 1408 hit calculate 268 per 9.4oz 175g volume.

You divide by the 1.32, not multiply. The calculator gives 153 g after dividing.

Like raising magnesium, it takes a lot. Epsom salt is less than 20% sulfur by weight, and 31 mg/l x 643 liters (your tank volume) gives 20,000 mg (20 g) of S. In terms of epsom salt that is less than 20% S, you multiply by 5, so it takes more than 20 x 5 = 100 g.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it, glad I asked! THANK U Very Much for all u do here

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is an awesome thread! I read the whole thing and the new 3 part as well. Just ordered 10 lb NAOH. I will start on the new three part recipe until I use up what I have on hand and then give the 2 part a try. I am particularly interested in adding trace elements which I am currently dosing weekly but would be easier if I could add them to the 2 part. Also plan to continue using Kalk via a stirrer and an Apex Dos which I currently have on line. Since the Kalk doesn't raise salinity and has a similar PH effect I don't see a reason to discontinue it. My tank is packed with SPS so the Kalk is not enough although I do try to maximize it by testing the conductivity coming out of the Kalk Stirrer. Around 3000 ppm seem to be the sweet spot for fully saturated mixture but that is just based on my observations.
I have been considering an elaborate CO2 scrubber with solenoids and outside air draw but think this is the easiest and most cost effective thing to try first for PH boost.
Really great information and thanks to all who have contributed!!!

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is an awesome thread! I read the whole thing and the new 3 part as well. Just ordered 10 lb NAOH. I will start on the new three part recipe until I use up what I have on hand and then give the 2 part a try. I am particularly interested in adding trace elements which I am currently dosing weekly but would be easier if I could add them to the 2 part. Also plan to continue using Kalk via a stirrer and an Apex Dos which I currently have on line. Since the Kalk doesn't raise salinity and has a similar PH effect I don't see a reason to discontinue it. My tank is packed with SPS so the Kalk is not enough although I do try to maximize it by testing the conductivity coming out of the Kalk Stirrer. Around 3000 ppm seem to be the sweet spot for fully saturated mixture but that is just based on my observations.
I have been considering an elaborate CO2 scrubber with solenoids and outside air draw but think this is the easiest and most cost effective thing to try first for PH boost.
Really great information and thanks to all who have contributed!!!

I use both systems. The two part with NaOH for increased pH and an outside air line connected to the skimmer via a CO2 scrubber. As the windows are open for longer times now the pH in the tank is in the range 8,25 - 8,6. In winter the range is 8,0 - 8,3.

By the way, I have solved the problem related to salinity increase. I use a KH Director and have programmed it to perform three measurements per day. As the volume of sample per measurement is 100 ml that makes for 300 ml taken daily from the tank and, obviously, replaced with fresh water. That makes the salinity to remain steady.

Hockey Stick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the NaOH recipe safe to use with BRS Dosers? Also, what tubing is safe? Do not want any accidents/leaks over time. Thank you.

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a first crack at what may end up being multiple possible recipes for a DIY two part that either has a higher pH or can be made more concentrated than traditional two part recipes. This one has about twice the pH raising effect compared to a carbonate based two part, per unit of alkalinity or calcium added. Note that I have neither made nor used this recipe. I fully expect it to work, but first adopters will be guinea pigs. :D

Note that the formation of some cloudiness of magnesium hydroxide is expected when the alk part hits the water (as carbonate versions also do). That is OK since it redissolves on mixing in more. But since the local pH is higher, there may be more chance for local precipitation of calcium carbonate, which is not optimal since it may waste additive (but otherwise is not a huge problem, IMO). To reduce this chance, add slowly to a very high flow area.

This first one is based on Jim Welsh's version of a DIY two part:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...hould-i-expect-to-change.215171/#post-2466696

Jim's recipe (with some text added by me):

Part 1 - The Calcium and Magnesium Part
Dissolve 500 g of calcium chloride dihydrate plus 261.2 g of magnesium chloride hexahydrate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.

Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part
Dissolve 374.7 g of sodium carbonate (594 g of baking soda that has been baked; = 3.535 moles of sodium carbonate) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.

This recipe is the same strength as Randy's Recipe #1 (e.g., BRS). To make these two parts with the same strength as B-Ionic, then multiply the amounts of the salts by 1.5 (but note dissolving the carbonate can become challenging).​

The sodium hydroxide version:

Part 1 - The Calcium and Magnesium Part
Dissolve 500 g of calcium chloride dihydrate plus 261.2 g of magnesium chloride hexahydrate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.

Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part
Dissolve 282.8 g of sodium hydroxide (=7.07 moles of sodium hydroxide to match the 3.535 moles of sodium carbonate in alkalinity) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS SOLUTION: IT HAS A pH ABOVE 14. Do not get it in your eyes or on your skin.

This recipe is the same strength as Randy's Recipe #1 (e.g., BRS). To make these two parts with the same strength as B-Ionic, then multiply the amounts of the salts by 1.5. This version can readily be made more concentrated, if that is a goal.​

NO THANKS!

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the NaOH recipe safe to use with BRS Dosers? Also, what tubing is safe? Do not want any accidents/leaks over time. Thank you.
I have dosed about 5 gallons so far through BRS dosing hose and a BRS doser with no issue. I think the main concern is when you mix the solution it gets very hot especially at the bottom of the mixing container where the NOAH falls to as it dissolves. I have been mixing one gallon at a time in a 1 gallon container sitting in a 5 gallon bucket near half full of water and have had no issues. Remember your safety equipment of course!

Update on my switch back in late Sept.:
I had been doing the original 2 part over a 12 hour period but I switched it to once per hour 24/7 to smooth out the pH rise. I saw no immediate change to Alkalinity test results due to the new concentration.

I was able to see a definite increase in pH from the switch to NAOH ( I am still dosing Kalkwasser as well) although not enough to keep me above 8.0 at night with the window just cracked open, so I also added a DIY partially recirculating CO2 reactor and now I can stay in the low 8s as long as I use a lot of scrubber media (takes about 4 liters of CO2 scrubber media per month on a 240 gallon packed reef tank).

Since incorporating these since late Sept. my alkalinity demand in the tank has increased by 30% (approx. 117 ml per day more NAOH than starting dose ) if you ignore the Kalkwasser additions that are roughly the same.

This is anecdotally of course but my SPS corals seem to look better and have increased growth. I think I am seeing less instances of tissue necrosis, especially the kind that starts at the base of the coral but that might de coincidental.

Thanks again @Randy Holmes-Farley for sharing this awesome recipe!!

Back