New Ecotech app? Release date? Info?

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 radion xr15 gen 4s for my new build. Programmed with a laptop but they aren't working correctly(only one of the two is following the program). I'm about to order a WXM module to control through apex but I'm second guessing the investment if they will have a wifi controlled app getting released soon.

Should I wait? Worth it to just get the module? I'm not in a huge hurry since my lights on this new build won't be turned on for a few more weeks but I'd like to have everything squared away before then

MVIMG_20190518_070251.jpg

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to buy the reeflink in order to control ecotech products via wifi and the app.

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to buy the reeflink in order to control ecotech products via wifi and the app.
From what I heard the gen 4 radions have WiFi chips in them that aren't active. Supposedly with the new app/firmware it will activate the chip and be directly usable through the app without the reeflink. That info could be incorrect though

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they add upgrading the app. It’s terrible.

Have radions on my 180 and AI’s on my frag tank and the AI app blows away radion.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course the Radions have wireless chips in them - that's how Reeflink communicates with them, so they're not inactive. Maybe there is a way to access them directly from a phone app, dunno.

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course the Radions have wireless chips in them - that's how Reeflink communicates with them, so they're not inactive. Maybe there is a way to access them directly from a phone app, dunno.
It was my understanding that they communicated with the RF chips like the mp pumps not wifi. I've never seen a wifi hotspot pop up from them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, I stand corrected - you are exactly right. Curious, where did you read that they had a disabled wifi chip in them? That certainly would be an improvement.

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If understood what I read about the Mobius release their pumps and lights sold in the last 12 (maybe longer) months had the chip required to work with Mobius. Older equipment would require a chip upgrade to work with the cloud.
Mobius! Thank you. I couldn't remember the name

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, I stand corrected - you are exactly right. Curious, where did you read that they had a disabled wifi chip in them? That certainly would be an improvement.
I may have heard it on a YouTube video. Can't remember exactly where

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pairing with no credentials aspect is worrisome to me. I don’t want someone hacking my ecotechs with this mobius platform.
I totally get that. Don't they have a fairly short range though? Someone would have to be outside your house to gain access tight? Seems like it would only happen with someone purposely screwing with you

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the the team at ecotech has considered those possibilities. I think the hard part for Mobius is to change the way people think about control. We have been programmed to have everything hard wired into a central brain to force components on, off, and other variations of control etc. But it seems that (and I'm just guessing) ecotech has collaborated with other big name companies and put the word out to incorporate some sort of wireless device into their products so that it can be used on their platform.

A few months ago, I thought to myself that there has been a lot of new reefing products that are now wifi, bluetooth capable. I thought that it was just a sign of the times. But maybe it wasn't. Maybe there have been a lot of behind the scenes conversations and this has been in the works for some time. And it's about time ecotech took a piece of the pie which is tank controllability.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 xr15 the old one shows on eco smart live that it is upgradable. The new one is Mobius ready.

PEP12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 x Radion 30 gen 4 pros all controlled by one WXM on 1 Apex 2016 all controlled in Fusion could not be better IMO,

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down and bought the wxm when I heard Mobius won't be coming out till around Christmas. Been really happy with it

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down and bought the wxm when I heard Mobius won't be coming out till around Christmas. Been really happy with it

Word to the wise: dont jump on the bandwagon on beta-firmware for your tank. Ive been one of the many people trying Mobius. For me it has been pretty bad- sometimes there are lights on at night, missing lights, or random lights going to 100% xD.

I am abandoning ship, attempting to downgrade the firmware on all 6 of my fixtures so I can go back to reeflink. Normally I would be more patient with beta software, but I think my corals and fish are upset with having a fixture randomly be on at night.

PWW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!

The app is out now for apple devices but I can't get it to connect to my Mp40wQD. Anyone else have it working?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back