chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Yesterday was a disaster. When getting home from my LFS I drip acclimated two new juvenile engineering gobies. Did a lot of research on them and figured they would be a great addition. When adding the first one it instantly swam into the pistol shrimp/YWG den and got shot up and battered pretty bad in a matter of like 10 seconds. It managed to escape but it was badly damaged and stunned (most of the tail ripped off to the bone and several deep cuts) and died later in the evening. I did not know a small pistol shrimp could do so much damage but I'm starting to think the same happened to my yellow coris wrasse which I haven't seen after adding him 3 weeks ago... He also immediately buried himself in the sand besides/against the den. Anyways, the second goby stayed out of the den but got attacked immediately by my cleaner wrasse. I figure because the engineer goby looks very similar with the juvenile color because my cleaner wrasse does harass the new comers often but just to clean them a bit so he is all up in their faces but this time it really attacked (hard). I managed to capture the goby and now its in a fish trap with some sand and rocks and I don't really know what to do next. It has some small sores from the cleaner wrasse attacks but seems fine besides that. Shall I keep him in there so they all can get used to each other. Fatten him up a little and wait for the colors to change and the aggression to drop. Or do I need to set up a quarantine tank and put him in there, or even return him to the store? Besides that, shall I try to get another juvenile engineer goby so it will feel more comfortable so he/she can pair up with him/her?

As of the pistol shrimp accidents. Maybe I just got really unlucky because my pistol shrimp is not a hunter but he is very territorial. Next time I'll add the fish in the other side of the tank so they do not bury themselves next to/in their den. Never thought that small guy could kill a fish in seconds..

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a bad day. Sorry about your gobies.
I am wondering how large of a tank are these fish in? They amount of aggression makes me wonder if the tank is crowded so the resident fish are trying to drive new arrivals out of town?
Hope you can make it work out. Engineer gobies are great fish and look fantastic when the get to adult size.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a bad day. Sorry about your gobies.
I am wondering how large of a tank are these fish in? They amount of aggression makes me wonder if the tank is crowded so the resident fish are trying to drive new arrivals out of town?
Hope you can make it work out. Engineer gobies are great fish and look fantastic when the get to adult size.
Hi,

I usually don’t deal with aggression at all. The tank is a 4 feet 120 gal housing mostly peaceful fish. The most aggressive one might be the cleaner wrasse, but mostly because he doesn’t care about anything. Love him/her but he/she is a bit pushy sometimes. The other bigger fish are a pretty shy scopas tang, a foxface and a ramosus blenny which barely show any aggression and mostly just mind their own business grazing around. This is the first time I’ve dealt with aggression towards a new comer and I wouldn’t have thought it would come from a cleaner wrasse against a tiny engineer goby..

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a juv engineer and I kept her in her own QT tank until she got about 4 to 5 inches then introduced her to one of my tanks, the 70. Shes perfectly fine and I have predators and maroon clowns in that tank as well as pistols. I would try that. Mine literally was so small she looked like a squirt, which is what I named her. Juv gobies like to swim around like fish until they get bigger and then begin to tunnel. I would put it in a separate tank with sand and let it grow a little then try again. And yeah you could get another juv and let them bond in the separate thank. My girl is almost 10 inches now, got her in January. They grow fast

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back