New favorite refugium light

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a new favorite refugium light. I was previously using a CF Grow 2 COB heavy red/blue light, which drew about 90W peak from the outlet. I was getting a pretty even 250+ ppfd (Apogee MQ 510) reading in my fuge, which is 24x12. I've since moved from this reliable light of the last 2 years

IMG_1154.jpg

f39716f032195197fade731dd44bc3fd.jpg

to a Viparspectra XS1500 Pro:

IMG_1164.jpg

I have the XS1500 version, which isn't listed at the moment because it's sold out. It looks "white" but here's the actual spectrum graph

1609213509593.png

It's really well built. The entire thing is a heatsink, so no fan is required (similar to my old one), has a Meanwell PS, and puts out 400+ ppfd at about 50% on the dimmer, but is drawing only 70W. Even with my old light, I was harvesting a silly amount of chaeto. With this new light, it's gone absolutely bonkers. My fuge is quite large, and it's getting packed from top to bottom and tightly squashed in a 24"x12" area if I don't harvest once every 2 weeks. I did take the face plate off to see if there was anything in the aluminum channel. When I found out it was empty, I drilled into it so I could hang some light shades on each side.

I got tired of the pink light on the CF Grow. I tend to work late and keep the sump doors open, and the blinding pink light was too annoying. The additional nutrient sink is a bonus. My nitrate is dropping, which is great since it was a little too high for my taste for the past few weeks. I think this light is a great deal for the money. The components are top notch, and the performance has been great so far. Looks some of the "commercial" plant growers started to switch to a more full spectrum light, like this. I figured they had a lot more riding on plant growth than I do, so I decided to give it a shot.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got three of those first type over 2 sumps ... I‘m not 100% impressed as compared to the Kessils they replaced, but relative to cost, for $30-60 they kick booty ....
I can’t see well, did you mention price? Checking Amazon now ...thanks for the write up
Edit add: found the unit on Amazon, its $140 ...

BTW, can’t tell if the individual LED’s have a glass over them or not ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got three of those first type over 2 sumps ... I‘m not 100% impressed as compared to the Kessils they replaced, but relative to cost, for $30-60 they kick booty ....
I can’t see well, did you mention price? Checking Amazon now ...thanks for the write up
I don't think we're talking about the same lights. The Viparspectra XS1500 that I got was about $160. Here it is direct from Viparspectra.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think we're talking about the same lights. The Viparspectra XS1500 that I got was about $160. Here it is direct from Viparspectra.

Oops. I see, you were talking about the CF Grow, not the new Viparspectras. Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can still find them, one of the best IMO fuge lights inexpensive, easy to install & maintain and grows cheato ->

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. I see, you were talking about the CF Grow, not the new Viparspectras. Sorry, I misunderstood you.
yeah sorry I wasn’t clear, I had to e-edit. ....
How’s that thing electrically engineered and hardened for salt spray and humidity in your opinion ? Basically will it hold up over a hostile sump?

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah sorry I wasn’t clear, I had to e-edit. ....
How’s that thing electrically engineered and hardened for salt spray and humidity in your opinion ? Basically will it hold up over a hostile sump?

It looks really nicely made to deal with water. There are no moving parts. The LEDs have a silicone coating over them, and the power supply is IP65 rated (low pressure water spray). I don't see anything that would rust either.

IMG_1217.JPEG

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can still find them, one of the best IMO fuge lights inexpensive, easy to install & maintain and grows cheato ->

Sorry, but that little Innovative Marine 6W (rated, not actual) clamp on LED isn't going to grow a meaningful amount of chaeto in a 24"x12" area.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but that little Innovative Marine 6W (rated, not actual) clamp on LED isn't going to grow a meaningful amount of chaeto in a 24"x12" area.
I beg to differ - First it's NOT clamp on, it's magnetic and secondly I have been using them for 5+ years on both a 65gal & 120 gal tank(s) & I'm harvesting cheato monthly on sump return sections that are 15" x 15".

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back