New fish ideas

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide on one more fish for my tank. My hooded wrasse passed away a couple weeks ago so I’m going to give it some time before I add another but currently looking for ideas.
My tank is a 72 gallon. Current fish stock is a mated pair of orange spotted gobies, a pair of clowns, orchid dottyback, linateus wrasse, and a yellow eye Kole tang. I’d like to add just one more or a small pair of “reef safe” fish who would get along with these tank mates. Any ideas? Would love to add another colorful fish.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd pick a Paracheilinus lineopunctatus wrasse and maybe a H. Chrysus (bright yellow) for pest control.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pick a Paracheilinus lineopunctatus wrasse and maybe a H. Chrysus (bright yellow) for pest control.
I just looked them up. They are beautiful! Are they coral/ invert safe and would they get along with an already established lineatus?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just looked them up. They are beautiful! Are they coral/ invert safe and would they get along with an already established lineatus?
Yes just put them in acclimation box for a few days so your lineatus gets familiar before releasing them. There are other flashers that would be great as well, but that is one that I think is underappreciated.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trio of zebra or scissortail dartfish, azure damsel, the wrasse suggestions above,
I know this is an older thread but I still have yet to add any new fish to my system. I wanted to give it some time to make sure everything was okay after losing the hooded wrasse. It has been over 4 months now so I think I’m in the clear.
I think I have decided on a trio of scissortail dartfish. Couple questions tho. Will they get along with the orange spotted gobies? And would I be overstocked by adding 3 of them with a pair of gobies, pair of clowns, yellow eye Kole tang, linateus wrasse, and pseudochromis? The tank is 72 gallon. That would make 10 fish total. But only two of them are bigger fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I still have yet to add any new fish to my system. I wanted to give it some time to make sure everything was okay after losing the hooded wrasse. It has been over 4 months now so I think I’m in the clear.
I think I have decided on a trio of scissortail dartfish. Couple questions tho. Will they get along with the orange spotted gobies? And would I be overstocked by adding 3 of them with a pair of gobies, pair of clowns, yellow eye Kole tang, linateus wrasse, and pseudochromis? The tank is 72 gallon. That would make 10 fish total. But only two of them are bigger fish.
The dartfish will get along just fine with the gobies.

3 should be fine with your stocklist.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawkfish is one of my favorite personalities.
I love the flame hawk fish as well and seriously considered getting one. But I have read and they are not safe for inverts. I have several shrimp. I always keep peppermints in the tank due to aptasia that seems to rear its ugly head every time my peppermint dies. Would they be safe with other inverts and fish such as the gobies and pseudochromis? Also, are they reed safe otherwise? If so, I would be open to one of those as well! They definitely have the color that I would love to add to the tank!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the flame hawk fish as well and seriously considered getting one. But I have read and they are not safe for inverts. I have several shrimp. I always keep peppermints in the tank due to aptasia that seems to rear its ugly head every time my peppermint dies. Would they be safe with other inverts and fish such as the gobies and pseudochromis? Also, are they reed safe otherwise? If so, I would be open to one of those as well! They definitely have the color that I would love to add to the tank!
I had several peppermint shrimp (which honestly did nothing to my aiptasia) and I thought my melanarus and flame hawk may have eaten them, or any of my other fish. When I moved my tank I found several of them still alive. I don’t think they pose any threat whatsoever to them, generally. It is true though that they CAN eat them. Flame hawks are more docile and subdued than many of their cousins. Cousins like the arceye hawkfish which are satan’s spawn.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had several peppermint shrimp (which honestly did nothing to my aiptasia) and I thought my melanarus and flame hawk may have eaten them, or any of my other fish. When I moved my tank I found several of them still alive. I don’t think they pose any threat whatsoever to them, generally. It is true though that they CAN eat them. Flame hawks are more docile and subdued than many of their cousins. Cousins like the arceye hawkfish which are satan’s spawn.
Okay, I will consider that then. I’m a firm believer that my peppermints clear the aptasia because every time I have added a few peppermints, the aptasia disappears within a week or so. Problem is, it seems when the aptasia is gone the peppermints don’t live but maybe a few months after. Hopefully if the flame is fed well it’ll leave the other livestock alone.
One last question and I know I’m pushing it. But if I added the scissortails and a hawk would that be too much for the tank? The parameters are in check and I don’t want to overstock. But right now the tank just seems bear to me. If I can’t, I understand. I’ll choose one or the other. I don’t want to jeopardize the tank or inhibitants.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will consider that then. I’m a firm believer that my peppermints clear the aptasia because every time I have added a few peppermints, the aptasia disappears within a week or so. Problem is, it seems when the aptasia is gone the peppermints don’t live but maybe a few months after. Hopefully if the flame is fed well it’ll leave the other livestock alone.
One last question and I know I’m pushing it. But if I added the scissortails and a hawk would that be too much for the tank? The parameters are in check and I don’t want to overstock. But right now the tank just seems bear to me. If I can’t, I understand. I’ll choose one or the other. I don’t want to jeopardize the tank or inhibitants.
I think you’ll be fine. You won’t be anywhere near as overstocked as my tanks anyway! :D

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time! That’s why I am here :)
Okay, so I’ve decided to order the dartfish trio as soon as they come available on DD. (It seems that they have these trios often). Then maybe the flame hawk when they are ready for the DT. I’ve set up the 10 gallon qt today. Do they need sand to burrow at night or will they be okay bear bottom until they go into the DT? I don’t like adding sand to qt Incase I need to dose copper. I usually observe for a week. Add prazi for two weeks, then observe for another week or two. Unless they show signs of other illness, then treat accordingly.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I’ve decided to order the dartfish trio as soon as they come available on DD. (It seems that they have these trios often). Then maybe the flame hawk when they are ready for the DT. I’ve set up the 10 gallon qt today. Do they need sand to burrow at night or will they be okay bear bottom until they go into the DT? I don’t like adding sand to qt Incase I need to dose copper. I usually observe for a week. Add prazi for two weeks, then observe for another week or two. Unless they show signs of other illness, then treat accordingly.

I’m assuming you ordered zebra darts.

They do not need sand. However once in your main display they will most likely dig a burrow under your rock work.

I have a trio from DD as well and enjoy that they are always out and about in the open, mid tank.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming you ordered zebra darts.

They do not need sand. However once in your main display they will most likely dig a burrow under your rock work.

I have a trio from DD as well and enjoy that they are always out and about in the open, mid tank.
They are scissortail darts and according to the DD sneak peek they will be available today :D I’m guessing they have the same needs as the zebras? Thanks for the reply! I look forward to getting them in their new home soon!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are scissortail darts and according to the DD sneak peek they will be available today :D I’m guessing they have the same needs as the zebras? Thanks for the reply! I look forward to getting them in their new home soon!

Awesome! Same needs. Please post a pic when you get them in!

Also, love the long nose hawk fish. I wouldn’t worry about your peppermints at all. Sexy shrimp however will make for a quick snack!

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
52340A27-F5FC-4038-A4C0-03EA40E97B97.jpeg
Will post pics. Thanks again!
Here they are! Already swimming and eating! Love them already!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back