new fish in an old tank

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gal that needs some more fish. The problem is that no new fish have been added to the tank in at least 3 or 4 years, and the ones in there think it is their home, and nobody else can share it.

But over the years my fish have dwindled down to just 7.
pair of clowns
yellow tang
powder brown tang
blue hippo tang
fox face
pajama cardinal

I know that anything that I add now is surly going to be bullied to death. ...any tips on how to add new fish to a well established tank?

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that it would be better to get 6 or 8 new occupants and add them all at once, rather than one at a time, ....maybe less bullying that way?

What do you all think?

Kudos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gal that needs some more fish. The problem is that no new fish have been added to the tank in at least 3 or 4 years, and the ones in there think it is their home, and nobody else can share it.

But over the years my fish have dwindled down to just 7.
pair of clowns
yellow tang
powder brown tang
blue hippo tang
fox face
pajama cardinal

I know that anything that I add now is surly going to be bullied to death. ...any tips on how to add new fish to a well established tank?
You could add it with a in tank divider while also doing the mirror trick so that the fish worry about there own reflection and forget that the fish is a new addition. After a week keep the mirror up but let the fish go into the tank and observe. They might be worried so much about trying to pick a fish with there own reflection that they wont care about the new fish.

Also what kind of fish are you thinking?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be difficult to add anything large, with the 3 tangs and rabbit in there.

You could add a group of small fish that the tangs wouldn't notice, like:
Royal Gramma
Or chalk bass
Or saphire damsels

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs won’t be happy about adding another larger fish, but with the tangs and foxface you’re probably full of large fish anyway and should be looking to add smaller fish like anthias, gobies, wrasses, etc. I wouldn’t imagine the tangs would take much issue with any of them.

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info....just the opposite of what I was thinking. I was thinking I would need to get large fish to stand up to the bullying....the idea of several smaller fish sounds good to me. The last fish to pass away was a diamond goby ....I think he just got old, because he had spent many years moving sand all over my tank, and then one day I noticed he was thin, and the next day he was so thin he looked like a head with a ribbon for a body, 2 days later he was gone. (looked like a painful way to go)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back