New fish is dying...help

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I understand. I will keep on trying then and hope they rid of it in 2-3weeks. Thank you for the advice.

Any idea if it's at all normal in any cases to have white poop based on diet?

White poop yes, but white-stringy poop is often parasites.

I’ve seen mention of it as a side-effect from transit/starvation but I’d imagine if they have been eating since you’ve had them....if it was due to starvation it should have resolved after a few good meals.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White poop yes, but white-stringy poop is often parasites.

I’ve seen mention of it as a side-effect from transit/starvation but I’d imagine if they have been eating since you’ve had them....if it was due to starvation it should have resolved after a few good meals.

I see I see....just curious but what exactly would be the difference between white poop and stringy white poop. I'm not sure I have been differentiating the two while observing.

Yeah I've had them for a week now and they have been eating mysys/brine shrimp, which are white/clear, and in the LFS store they were giving them oyster feast (which is white), so this is the reason I asked regarding diet.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see I see....just curious but what exactly would be the difference between white poop and stringy white poop. I'm not sure I have been differentiating the two while observing.

Yeah I've had them for a week now and they have been eating mysys/brine shrimp, which are white/clear, and in the LFS store they were giving them oyster feast (which is white), so this is the reason I asked regarding diet.

Here is an example of the white-stringy poop associated with parasites. It’s literally like a white/clear string that trails behind the fish:

9b55ccca9fff30f2875ea46c67ccab28.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s more solid white and disconnects from the fish like normal stool... I wouldn’t be concerned.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown that had a completely sunken belly and white stringy poop. he was even worse off as by the time I was able to start treatment he wasn't eating at all (Canadian ban on fish meds helped a LOT there...). in my last ditch effort I just dosed my tank with my last bit of GC and awaited my Metro and Focus to come in (last place that still sold the stuff). to my amazement he started showing interest in food again. I did 1 cube of food with 1 big scoop of Metro and 1 scoop of Focus without blotting out water and mixed in a lot of pellet food as he liked pellet more than frozen. over many weeks I was able to get him fattened up again. he has been out of the sump for a couple of months now and is doing great with no signs of internal parasites.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, Unfortunately I have another problem. My clown fish have begun to get black spots around their fins. The good news is I have not seen white poop in over a week. What could these spots be? I feed pe mysis pellets once A-day and frozen once a day. Usually add a couple drops of vitachem. I did get a frog spawn and they hang out in the area could they be getting stung? Thanks in advance

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, Unfortunately I have another problem. My clown fish have begun to get black spots around their fins. The good news is I have not seen white poop in over a week. What could these spots be? I feed pe mysis pellets once A-day and frozen once a day. Usually add a couple drops of vitachem. I did get a frog spawn and they hang out in the area could they be getting stung? Thanks in advance
It sounds like it could be hypermelanization which isn't bad. Can you please post a pic?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic below. Both clowns have it on both sides. It literally happened over 2 days.

black.jpg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like hypermelanization
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-hypermelanization.96328/
It should heal on its own just fine

If you are really worried then you can give one a freshwater dip and if they fall off it's black ich but I really don't think that's necessary at this point

Well that is kind of a relief, i'm going to hold off on the dip for now then. That brings me to another question though. My clowns are trying to host my frogspawn and it wont let them??? Perhaps they want to host something and I dont have anything in my tank to host?

My tank is only up for 2.5 months at this point and parameters have been stable. I've just got some zoas, GSP, candycane, and frogspawns in there. What would you suggest I get for these guys if anything?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is kind of a relief, i'm going to hold off on the dip for now then. That brings me to another question though. My clowns are trying to host my frogspawn and it wont let them??? Perhaps they want to host something and I dont have anything in my tank to host?

My tank is only up for 2.5 months at this point and parameters have been stable. I've just got some zoas, GSP, candycane, and frogspawns in there. What would you suggest I get for these guys if anything?
They're probably just irritating the frogspawn which could possibly harm it over time if it doesn't stay open to get enough light, it's also possible it will get used to them hosting in it. Clowns love something to host in but it's not necessary for them. You may have problems keeping an anemone alive with your tank being so young but I managed to do it a couple times with new tanks(I've also failed a couple times).

I know this doesn't really give you a solid answer to your question but it can be hit and miss so it's the best advice I can really offer

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd recommend getting a nem in a 30 gallon or smaller tank if I wanted to keep corals as well. You could get a Duncan, they are known to host clowns, but getting one large enough in size to host immediately could be expensive.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd recommend getting a nem in a 30 gallon or smaller tank if I wanted to keep corals as well.
I'd agree but I've had one in a 32 biocube with plenty of soft and lps corals for well over a year without issues. I guess I can probably just chalk that up to luck though and not recommend that as typical

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like BTA's will eventually outgrow any tank, regardless of size.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone. My tank is a 40 Gallon AIO Nuvo. I am planning on having softies and LPS (Hammers/frogspawns/torches). I think i follow that its irritation from the frogspawn. Now i'm just concerned that this will keep happening (which I obviously would like to prevent/change). Here is a picture of the tank. The clown's are in the back in the pic, but generally they hang out in the left front area where the corals are...

tank.jpg

Back