New fish is dying...help

bbonilla68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using metro + focus. All my fish caught ich because I didn't quarantine a Kole Tang. The tang is not doing so hot...but my clownfish..hawkfish..basslet are doing ok. I'm treating the other tanks as well just because. It's worth a try to try to kill the bugs that cause it but I think it would be necessary to leave the tank fishless for awhile...until proper quarantine methods can be managed.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @HotRocks ,

My amazon delivery got messed up and focus wont get here till next week. (They messed up the "same day" delivery for just focus on amazon, so strange!!!, it even says now "free one day" then says itll come in a week.)

Anyways, I've decided to get the Metro + Focus package on amazon so I can get it tonight (NO LFS sell Focus around here either, strange).

Is it still okay to use METRO with FOCUS for food, while Prazi is in the water? My previous question was GC + prazi, but now changing meds, so wanted to make sure.

If the proffered choice is still GC over Metro, I'll just pay the additional $12 bucks to get both. Thanks !
General cure will cover a broader range of internal parasites including intestinal worms, if you can get it then it's going to be a better idea to use it

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure + focus is your best option. Unless you have a microscope to I'd what's in the poop. It covers all the bases.

The dosage is 1 scoop focus + 1 scoop general cure added to 1 tablespoon of frozen prepared food.

Quick question on this as i will make this tonight, but with metro... when you say 1 tablespoon of frozen prepared food, should I thaw up a couple cubes of frozen shrimp to make enough to actually food to fill a tablespoon (without the fluid/water)? OR do i simply thaw a cube to where I have enough of 1 cube to fill a tablespoon including the fluid/water it came in. It seems you mentioned I should drain first?

Also, how long should I let the food soak in the mix?

Any very specific instructions would be helpful, because the instructions are a bit vague, and I really don't want to over/under dose these guys. I'm quite new to medicating, thanks for all your suggestions & patience.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on this as i will make this tonight, but with metro... when you say 1 tablespoon of frozen prepared food, should I thaw up a couple cubes of frozen shrimp to make enough to actually food to fill a tablespoon (without the fluid/water)? OR do i simply thaw a cube to where I have enough of 1 cube to fill a tablespoon including the fluid/water it came in. It seems you mentioned I should drain first?

Also, how long should I let the food soak in the mix?

Any very specific instructions would be helpful, because the instructions are a bit vague, and I really don't want to over/under dose these guys. I'm quite new to medicating, thanks for all your suggestions & patience.
Two cubes will usually yield about one tbsp, it doesn't need to be perfect. The easiest way I've found to do it is thaw them in a shotglass and blot the liquid with a paper towel to remove most of it. Mix in equal parts of general cure and focus using the spoon that comes with the focus. I also add a few drops of selcon and vita-chem along with a drop of garlic, the garlic helps to mask the flavor of the medicine and the vitamins help to mix everything together and boost the fish's immune system. Let it set for at least 20 minutes to soak in and feed. Only feed as much as they'll eat and you can store the rest in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Feed the medicated food for 14 days

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two cubes will usually yield about one tbsp, it doesn't need to be perfect. The easiest way I've found to do it is thaw them in a shotglass and blot the liquid with a paper towel to remove most of it. Mix in equal parts of general cure and focus using the spoon that comes with the focus. I also add a few drops of selcon and vita-chem along with a drop of garlic, the garlic helps to mask the flavor of the medicine and the vitamins help to mix everything together and boost the fish's immune system. Let it set for at least 20 minutes to soak in and feed. Only feed as much as they'll eat and you can store the rest in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Feed the medicated food for 14 days

Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Looks like i'll have my hands full tonight.

Defrost 2 frozen cubes of shrimp, soak up excess liquid, add 1 scoop General Cure with Focus spoon, add 1 scoop Focus, add few drops of vita-chem.

Any thoughts on if I should do a big water change, and throw in some carbon before doing the medicated food? The purpose would be to get the prazi out which I'm concerned is still in the water....I wasn't able to decipher if I got any thoughts on that. Thank you !!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Looks like i'll have my hands full tonight.

Defrost 2 frozen cubes of shrimp, soak up excess liquid, add 1 scoop General Cure with Focus spoon, add 1 scoop Focus, add few drops of vita-chem.

Any thoughts on if I should do a big water change, and throw in some carbon before doing the medicated food? The purpose would be to get the prazi out which I'm concerned is still in the water....I wasn't able to decipher if I got any thoughts on that. Thank you !!
No problem, I wouldn't worry about the prazi, it degrades quickly in the water after 24 to 48 hours. After 72 hours it's basically gone even without carbon

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, I wouldn't worry about the prazi, it degrades quickly in the water after 24 to 48 hours. After 72 hours it's basically gone even without carbon

Hmmm interesting. I wonder why they tell you to dose every 5-7 days even if its gone out of the water so quickly. Kind of wish i just skipped the prazi pro portion and just went straight to GC + Focus.

Live and learn i guess. Hope these guys will make it through.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm interesting. I wonder why they tell you to dose every 5-7 days even if its gone out of the water so quickly. Kind of wish i just skipped the prazi pro portion and just went straight to GC + Focus.

Live and learn i guess. Hope these guys will make it through.
Prazi usually works well for external parasites like flukes, although there are strains that are resistant and I'm dealing with them right now. For internal parasites medicated food is best.

I'm glad you're seeking advice here, I don't know of a better place to get it

Edit, the reason it's recommended to be redosed is because the eggs from flukes aren't affected by prazi and they can be killed after they have hatched

Last edited:

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using metro + focus. All my fish caught ich because I didn't quarantine a Kole Tang. The tang is not doing so hot...but my clownfish..hawkfish..basslet are doing ok. I'm treating the other tanks as well just because. It's worth a try to try to kill the bugs that cause it but I think it would be necessary to leave the tank fishless for awhile...until proper quarantine methods can be managed.
I just read your post, the treatment you're using isn't effective for ich. Do you have a thread concerning it?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One more quick question. Should I feed them this once a day or twice a day? I have been feeding my fish twice a day currently. Usually Mysis/Brine shrimp once, then pellets the other time.

Thanks

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says 1:1 then says 5:1......LOL
20190514_195957.jpg

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5:1 is overkill... just a waste of medication ;) or a way to get you to use more product...

1:1 works just fine IME

haha...yeah i used 1:1. Fed the guys last night and this morning. The food (2 cubes) + meds (GC) + focus looks so thick and almost like paste.

I just found it unfortunate that Seachem had two different instructions on the same product.....

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 6 days into prazi pro, and 3rd day feeding GC + Focus + brine/mysis frozen and this guy sitting on bottom hasn't shown much improvement and poop is still white for both of them. They actually didn't want to eat the medicated food this morning. As I've mentioned before, he started sitting on the bottom after I dosed prazi. Before, the white poop was there, but he was acting normal, swimming around, etc.

Any additional thoughts? Could he just have white poop from the brine/mysis/ white pods they were feeding them in the LFS and now me? I'm going to try to soak some PE Mysis pellets in meds tonight, and see if they'll eat that i suppose.

60344065_2105253989571877_3319427751739392000_n.jpg

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @HotRocks, and anyone else ! sorry to bother you again but was just curious if you had any new thoughts or ideas !!

Thank you !!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can sometimes take 2-3 weeks to rid of stubborn internal parasites. I would keep trying if you can.

If you have to, if they absolutely won’t eat the medicated food... might need to back off and try something more enticing like live black worms, to get them eating with some gusto and maybe get a little energy back. Then try again with the medicated food.

It won’t help them at all if they go on a hunger strike :/

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can sometimes take 2-3 weeks to rid of stubborn internal parasites. I would keep trying if you can.

If you have to, if they absolutely won’t eat the medicated food... might need to back off and try something more enticing like live black worms, to get them eating with some gusto and maybe get a little energy back. Then try again with the medicated food.

It won’t help them at all if they go on a hunger strike :/

Okay I understand. I will keep on trying then and hope they rid of it in 2-3weeks. Thank you for the advice.

Any idea if it's at all normal in any cases to have white poop based on diet?

Back