New Foxface not looking good, help please!

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I just got a call from the wife who got home and found one of our new addition Foxface stuck to the power head. He was added last Sunday along with a bicolor dottyback and a purple flyfish. All others seem to be doing fine.

The first day he was added I saw him moving around a picking a some algae, however, the last couple of days he has been camouflaging stuck to the overflow, and swimming in some rocks. He wouldn’t
be active at feeding time, I even put Nori for him and nothing.

I talk the wife to put him on the box while I get home which is another 4 hours, any advise of what can I do to help him out?

My parameters are stable (could post the number later on) tank is about 8.5 months old, all other fish and corals seem to be thriving.
1EB8E8B9-7C18-4910-88DD-C0DBAA6788D0.jpeg 963E7C58-766F-4288-954B-FBC7F43CBFE0.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2228.MOV
    16.9 MB
OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefmedic
#fishmedic

Let’s see if we can figure out what’s going on. Is it breathing rapidly? Any visible signs of injury?
Couldn’t tell from the video, but definitely looks like he is coming up for air. Not sure if the video uploaded or not, doing it from the phone will try to do a YouTube upload quick

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t tell from the video, but definitely looks like he is coming up for air. Not sure if the video uploaded or not, doing it from the phone will try to do a YouTube upload quick
Ask your wife if she is able to describe his behavior currently, as well. Have you seen it eat at all since Sunday?

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday I saw him eating, he looked good. But Monday, Tuesday, and today I haven’t seen him eat. I tried, flakes, pellets, mysis, brine and Nori

Anything else I should try

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it doesn’t appear interested in the flake at all. It may be very hungry… I would also try to keep it in a calm corner of the tank in the box. Don’t move it around and stress it more. Do you have a local LFS that has macro it would be interested in?

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even tho I didn’t see him eat, yesterday he was popping so I guess he ate sometime

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it doesn’t appear interested in the flake at all. It may be very hungry… I would also try to keep it in a calm corner of the tank in the box. Don’t move it around and stress it more. Do you have a local LFS that has macro it would be interested in?
I would definitely try to get some first thing in the morning just don’t know if he would make it from the looks of it

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely try to get some first thing in the morning just don’t know if he would make it from the looks of it
Please update when you are home. Tell your wife to try to keep it as calm as possible until then. If it won’t accept food at this point, it will struggle to recover. I wouldn’t stress it more until I could try and coax it to eat. It looks thin from the video, and additional stress is going to tire it out.

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update when you are home. Tell your wife to try to keep it as calm as possible until then. If it won’t accept food at this point, it will struggle to recover. I wouldn’t stress it more until I could try and coax it to eat. It looks thin from the video, and additional stress is going to tire it out.
Got it just told her to make sure to tie the box to the corner of the tank so it is not bouncing around, and get a better video of it

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be extremely rapid. Can you get us your parameters when able? And please let the fish rest for now. I wouldn’t even try to photograph or video it more at this point. It is very stressed.

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of two days ago

Salinity 1.024, temp 78F, ph 8.3, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0,Mg 1160,

as of earlier today
phosphate .06, dKH 8.5, Ca 430

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually all livestock on my tank goes crazy for food when I use the polyp booster before feeding corals.

Should I try adding a bit of this to see if wants to eat at least something?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually all livestock on my tank goes crazy for food when I use the polyp booster before feeding corals.

Should I try adding a bit of this to see if wants to eat at least something?
At this point, I would try just abut anything to get him to eat, just be prepared to clean up afterward to avoid decaying food.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I’m sorry. He looks really emaciated, I’ve never seen them or heard of them recovering from that point. You may have luck feeding something irresistible like caviar and amino acids. This is why I switched from the dump and pray to QTing everything, including coral and CUC

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
=_( just got a call from the wife she doesn’t think he made it, I’ll be home in a hour and check it out, sucks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fish appears beyond distressed and with breathing rate and laying down is a weakened fish that may not make it , to prepare you

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back