New Frag tank build

arthus110031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have been in the hobby for 6 months now and I have started a second tank because i would like a tank designed for growing corals. I have been accruing many corals in my first tank and it is getting too crowded. I will be posting pictures of the original tank and my build on the new one. im am very excited to get this one cycled to start throwing stuff in it!

OP
OP
arthus110031

arthus110031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bashsea sump.jpg

I went with a bashsea signature sump. I know that I could have spent less for just a frag tank but I really liked the construction and wanted to support made in America company. I was not disappointed when I got this in my hands. Amazing quality. what you also see is the protein skimmer and the return pump that I picked. For the skimmer I went with https://premiumaquatics.com/products/bubble-magus-curve-5-elite-protein-skimmer.html
this skimmer looked like a good one and the reviews online also said that so i went with it. This is my first non-hangon skimmer that I buy so I am not an expert on what to choose. For the return pump I went with,

So far this pump is great. I have no complaints it is fully controllable as well since it is a DC pump. For the heater I went with

This has been so far. I have been able to keep up a temp of 85F.(the 85f is to increase bacterial growth in a fishless cycle)
for the powerhead I went with https://premiumaquatics.com/products/icecap-gyre-2k-flow-pump-dual-controller.html I have used the 1k before and I really liked what it could do. I did end up switching it out on my other tank because it is a cube and it was a too much flow even on the low end of the pump power

OP
OP
arthus110031

arthus110031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand settled .jpg
inside tank.jpg

Foe lighting I went with the tried and true method of HO T5 lighting. 4 blue plus/1 purple plus/1 Coral plus. I went with roughly 60-70lbs of rock. 40 dry and 20ish live. I decided to do a substrate bed instead of a glass because I like it more and it is more beneficial to the bacteria and tank. Also, I wanted to do black sand for a while and this was my chance. I have a 60 GAL Deep blue frag tank. My stand I picked out was not a conventional one.

now I saw this on some pictures of tanks around the internet. Each shelf holds up to 1000lbs mathing it out, I am 150-200lbs off that weight for the tank on that shelf. and the light fixture fit perfectly on the top shelf holder. I am a little nervous but it should hold based on the specs (SHOULD). everything seems solid. No bowing and it is just chillin. for 110 bucks not a bad stand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back