New from Florida - Working on a New Build

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am new to the forum, not totally wet behind the ears as a reefer. I have been on an escalating fish journey for many years ... starting with the cliche ping pong ball state fair gold fish to reefing (with a detour through brackish along the way.) I've made a lot of mistakes... lost a bit of coral and fish. (Seriously, if anyone sees my Anthia Frodo, please send him home...)

I've learned some very important lessons:
1- Never trust a tube anemone named Ursula.
2- Do not plumb through the wall to a sump in your garage ... in Florida ... under your brand new AC handler.
3- Check the expiration dates on test kits before you buy them ... don't trust old test kits.
4- If you think your tank just shocked you, it probably wasn't salt water in a paper cut. Unplug everything and check every wire.
5- Water changes make all things better... unless it floods your floor. Be wary of ATO's and ACO's.

Since moving to Florida, I have had two tanks... a 45 gallon bow front. I traded up to a 90 gallon and I am in the process of a new build for a 127 gallon custom acrylic on order from American Aquariums. I know that is not a big jump in gallons... they actually advertised it as 143 but they calculated from outside dimensions, not inside. I was looking more for size than gallons. My 90 gallon is very tall, making maintenance difficult. I had a very specific tank in mind... 72" long x 19" high x 24" deep. Short enough to reach the bottom, deep enough to keep macroalgae in the display tank and long enough for the fish to truly swim.

I will find the place to create a build thread and get that started. Our ETA is December - sometime. Once we have some information on the overflow locations (dual) ironed out, we'll begin the stand build. I look forward to learning from the wisdom of those who have sailed before me and perhaps helping some land lubbers along the way.

Regards,
Michelle

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Peace River? Are we neighbors?

Yes, my screen name is based on the watershed where I live. Always glad to have another Floridian!

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my screen name is based on the watershed where I live. Always glad to have another Floridian!
That is my watershed, too. I am less than a mile from the shore of the Peace River. We'll have to commiserate about the long drive to Boardroom Aquatics one day. (worth it though ... Mark and Chris are awesome)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back