New game plan.

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The JBJ 15 Gal Cube and Stand just came back in stock at BRS, leaning towards it. I look at it if I'm not fully commited and find the hobby enjoyable enough, then the $1225 Red Sea Max would've been a lot of money. So this is what I have.

JBJ 15 Gal Nano T&S = $411
75 Watt Ehiem TruTemp = $25
InkBird Wifi Controller = $60
Tunze ATO 3152 = $115
AI Prime HD16 = $210 (recently purchased here)

Puts me at $821, with $400 saved I'll have plenty of money for:
Salinty Tester
Test Kit.
Perhaps a Wavemaker.
Rock & Sand.
Anything I may be missing?

Please feel free to add or subsitute, but keep in mind I'm attempting a friendy eco budget. Just in case.
Thanks

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
why not get a 20G long and buy an AIO from fiji? 5 extra gallons, and can make it an AIO for less? get a stand from any furniture store for less as well.

just my two cents. also, welcome aboard the r2r board!

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not get a 20G long and buy an AIO from fiji? 5 extra gallons, and can make it an AIO for less? get a stand from any furniture store for less as well.

just my two cents. also, welcome aboard the r2r board!
Thanks, this is something I'll look into. I like the looks of the matching tank and stans as well.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The JBJ 15 Gal Cube and Stand just came back in stock at BRS, leaning towards it. I look at it if I'm not fully commited and find the hobby enjoyable enough, then the $1225 Red Sea Max would've been a lot of money. So this is what I have.

JBJ 15 Gal Nano T&S = $411
75 Watt Ehiem TruTemp = $25
InkBird Wifi Controller = $60
Tunze ATO 3152 = $115
AI Prime HD16 = $210 (recently purchased here)

Puts me at $821, with $400 saved I'll have plenty of money for:
Salinty Tester
Test Kit.
Perhaps a Wavemaker.
Rock & Sand.
Anything I may be missing?

Please feel free to add or subsitute, but keep in mind I'm attempting a friendy eco budget. Just in case.
Thanks
you'll need bacteria to start cycling the tank.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't need a wave maker until you decide you want to start adding corals.
if then, there are plenty of beginner soft corals that do fine in low/moderate flow, so you can leave some space under your return pump to give them a little flow, and you'll be fine without the powerhead/wave maker for a while.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I have a Nighthawk AC3200 Router/Modem. I wonder if I'll have a problem?

The vast majority of IoT devices (including WiFi aquarium equipment) run on the 2.4 GHz band. The 5.0 GHz band supports higher performance (but less range) so many people only set up the 5.0 GHz on their access points/routers. Most access points/routers today have both bands available. Just be sure the 2.4 band radio is turned on and accessible. Many like to set up separate SSIDs (identifiers) for the two bands so that they can consciously connect to one band or the other. If you only set up one SSID then a device can connect to either band depending on what it supports.

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of IoT devices (including WiFi aquarium equipment) run on the 2.4 GHz band. The 5.0 GHz band supports higher performance (but less range) so many people only set up the 5.0 GHz on their access points/routers. Most access points/routers today have both bands available. Just be sure the 2.4 band radio is turned on and accessible. Many like to set up separate SSIDs (identifiers) for the two bands so that they can consciously connect to one band or the other. If you only set up one SSID then a device can connect to either band depending on what it supports.
I got ya, I have my Netgear set at 5G. I did a test run on the used AI Prime HD I have yesterday, ran through a demo mode, played around with a couple settings and had no problems. My future plan for a wavemaker will be the Nero 3 when they come available. Thanks.

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Drummingbaker2010 Thanks for the heads up, great info.
So far I've been reading about live sand and live rock, couple of the LFS sell it, they seed in tanks using rock from their own live set ups, so mainly no pesky hitchhikers, as far as sand not so much, so mainly that'll be a Caribsea mix of some sorts.
Both wavemaker and protein skimmer are on the short list of items to come, also I have an ATO in the cart already. Corals will most likely be the beginning stages of the tank before I add a couple fish, very light bio load, small CUC, and 2 clowns and maybe 2 more small mild mannered fish.
Coral goals are, fast growing, hardy and easy to keep. I'm not looking for anything like the SPS stuff, mostly softies and a few LPS's. Thanks.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Drummingbaker2010 Thanks for the heads up, great info.
So far I've been reading about live sand and live rock, couple of the LFS sell it, they seed in tanks using rock from their own live set ups, so mainly no pesky hitchhikers, as far as sand not so much, so mainly that'll be a Caribsea mix of some sorts.
Both wavemaker and protein skimmer are on the short list of items to come, also I have an ATO in the cart already. Corals will most likely be the beginning stages of the tank before I add a couple fish, very light bio load, small CUC, and 2 clowns and maybe 2 more small mild mannered fish.
Coral goals are, fast growing, hardy and easy to keep. I'm not looking for anything like the SPS stuff, mostly softies and a few LPS's. Thanks.
I would add your clean up crew and maybe 1-2 fish before adding your corals.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back