New Gig Progress/Treatment

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this green foot now and if you said it has purple verracue, I believe you have a gig.

I seen tons of Sun anemones and not one of them has had a green foot. They always have a very light colored pale white/yellow foot.

Hope he does well.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...so do I. I will update shortly after I upload my photos. Seems to be heading in the right direction.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7(3rd Round of Cipro)
Observations: Mouth mostly closed, no deflation, still slightly folded and attempting to open more, tentacles getting longer and shaggier appearance, much less waste than yesterday.

Day 8(4th round of Cipro)
Observations: Continued improvement, mouth mostly closed, trying to open more, waste continues to decrease

Day 9(5th round of Cipro)
Observations: Looking shaggier and still trying to unfold, more waste than the last couple days

Two more rounds of Cipro to go and will update tomorrow. I have never seen any deflation and the mouth continues to stay slightly open. What's your recommendation after the next couple days? Should I add to DT or continue treatment?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always treat a full 7 days no matter what. I treat gigs with Bactrim, and mags with Cipro.

I find that gigs do very well with Bactrim.

Looking at the pictures, he's looking fairly good. Go the full 7 days and if no deflation from now until then, put him in DT.

Also, start using DT water to get him ready for the transition.

I would order some Bactrim right now if you don't have any on hand.

It's also Called Septra.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10(6th Round of Cipro)
Observations:Continued improvement, shaggy appearance, still no deflation, very little waste, planning to add to DT in a couple days with continued improvement

Thoughts?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's looking great. I hope he will do fine in your DT.

I would add him after the 7 days of Treatment.

Thoughts?? I think you need Septra/ Bactrim asap. A gig can look perfect and then deflate in a matter of minutes.

Example:

Very short time after the picture above.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to add him tomorrow to the DT especially since I have never seen deflation and it continues to improve. The 7th dose of Cipro was administered last night and there was no waste to speak of. His mouth has tightened up and continued shaggy appearance. I will let him remain in the QT for 24 hrs to make sure there there hasn't been any deflation. Thanks for following along and the continued support.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to add him tomorrow to the DT especially since I have never seen deflation and it continues to improve. The 7th dose of Cipro was administered last night and there was no waste to speak of. His mouth has tightened up and continued shaggy appearance. I will let him remain in the QT for 24 hrs to make sure there there hasn't been any deflation. Thanks for following along and the continued support.

No problem, I think you should add him now. Just keep him in the bowl, and if he deflates just pull him.

I find that most of the infections seem to be species specific. If you have other Nems in the tank- pull him quick.

If not, you can let him go for 24 hrs or so to make sure it's not just a small hiccup.

Good luck with him. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11(7th and last round of Cipro)
Observations: Mouth has tightened, still shaggy appearance, no deflation, and virtually no waste during water change. Top down to show mouth. Will add to DT tomorrow.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did one final water change using DT water to help with acclimation. Been in the DT for about 8 hours and is looking good. Tentacles have remained short, but I believe that will improve with time. Mouth was tight, but has opened ever so slightly. Will keep you posted and thanks for following along.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...gig has been in my DT for a little over a month and each day it's getting bigger/shaggier. It first bleached upon intro due to light shock, but is slowing regaining color. Still no deflation and has been fed every few days. Hopefully it continues the current track.

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and I hope so. I owe a lot of the success to you for your treatment regiment.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very healthy. He'll get shaggier as time goes on.

Some have a lot longer tents than others, but I think he'll continue to do better and look better.

After all, he's only a baby. :)

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 169 73.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%
Back