New Gold Torch Completly closed up

Jamie-Newton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i recently added a new gold torch to my tank about 5 days ago and at first it was completely open but then it slowly closed back up over the first two days. I thought. it was the flow so i moved it a couple of times to try and find the right spot but nothing seemed to work as of now it is completely closed up and you can only just see the tips, not sure what the issue is as all my parameters are good and nothing water quality wise should be bothering it. it doesn't look like anything is wrong pest or diesese wise so im really stumped any help would be appreciated.

Tank
30 gallon cube

stocking
carpenters flasher wrasse
2 ocellaris clownfish
firefish goby
bicolour blenny

photos of torch coral in order
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg

any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i recently added a new gold torch to my tank about 5 days ago and at first it was completely open but then it slowly closed back up over the first two days. I thought. it was the flow so i moved it a couple of times to try and find the right spot but nothing seemed to work as of now it is completely closed up and you can only just see the tips, not sure what the issue is as all my parameters are good and nothing water quality wise should be bothering it. it doesn't look like anything is wrong pest or diesese wise so im really stumped any help would be appreciated.

Tank
30 gallon cube

stocking
carpenters flasher wrasse
2 ocellaris clownfish
firefish goby
bicolour blenny

photos of torch coral in order
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg

any help or info would be greatly app

Doesn't look good.
My torch did similar after i have had it a week, one head looked like yours in the last pics, that head is dead now.
The other two heads started doing the same so i moved it, after extensive research i put it in my case down to to much flow, the polyps were banging from right to left...so i moved it and found the spot where the polyps were "dancing" and after loosing one and a half head shes sweet now.
I would think its either flow or light, moving it constantly ain't good either.
Hope you can save it.

OP
OP
Jamie-Newton

Jamie-Newton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look good.
My torch did similar after i have had it a week, one head looked like yours in the last pics, that head is dead now.
The other two heads started doing the same so i moved it, after extensive research i put it in my case down to to much flow, the polyps were banging from right to left...so i moved it and found the spot where the polyps were "dancing" and after loosing one and a half head shes sweet now.
I would think its either flow or light, moving it constantly ain't good either.
Hope you can save it.
thanks for the info hope it comes right, do you think just leaving it alone will help even if its closed for a few days?

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info hope it comes right, do you think just leaving it alone will help even if its closed for a few days?
To be honest to me it looks like its already to late but i am no expert. Hard to say what action to take. What is the flow like where it is now? Do you know the par in your tank, your lights might be to much/not enough.

OP
OP
Jamie-Newton

Jamie-Newton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not entirely sure about the lighting ive just been nano karens ai prime setup. The flow in the spot its in now should be pretty good its not to heavy just enough

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not entirely sure about the lighting ive just been nano karens ai prime setup. The flow in the spot its in now should be pretty good its not to heavy just enough
I found this video very helpful for the right amount of flow.

In picture 5 that goni in the back looks like its getting a lot of flow so might have been to much for the torch.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches seem to love flow... They get whipped around pretty good and seem to love it.
I recently added a new torch a few months ago. It came mounted on a flat round disc. I just placed it on top of a rock that is about 6 inches tall/off the sand bed. It sits right underneath one of my powerheads.
It has grown some really long tentacles in order to reach up into the high flow output of the powerhead above it. It has mostly shorter tentacles and then about a half dozen really long ones that whip/twirl around in the high current. It seems to be growing more long tentacles too. That seems to indicate to me that it is seeking the higher current, or at least doesn't NOT like it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the tank, the tank looks new, going through a diatom stage. Usually not a good stage to add expensive corals.

OP
OP
Jamie-Newton

Jamie-Newton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the tank, the tank looks new, going through a diatom stage. Usually not a good stage to add expensive corals.
It is relatively new a little over a month old although it all of the media and sand from my old tank which had been set up for a year. not sure if that helps or not though.

OP
OP
Jamie-Newton

Jamie-Newton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly the torch has died i believe it ended up being brown jelly as when i had a look at it mid day it was entirely brown and stringy and i couldn't see any of the tentacles. thankfully none of my other euphoria got it from the torch.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to read this incase the BJD was a result of something you did(move it to often) or parameters weren't right.

Here a little section:
In truth, brown jelly isn’t really a disease in and of itself, but a symptom of an underlying condition. It may be the result of an infected injury your coral has sustained, it may be a bacterial infection that your coral just happened to pick up, or it may be because your coral is in a stressful environment.

OP
OP
Jamie-Newton

Jamie-Newton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to read this incase the BJD was a result of something you did(move it to often) or parameters weren't right.

Here a little section:
In truth, brown jelly isn’t really a disease in and of itself, but a symptom of an underlying condition. It may be the result of an infected injury your coral has sustained, it may be a bacterial infection that your coral just happened to pick up, or it may be because your coral is in a stressful environment.
thanks for all your help ill definently look into it incase i ever think about trying a torch again

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back