New green moray acting funny.

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to my newly acquired Green moray laying upside down in his tube. He was active all night. Don’t know if they sleep like that or if he’s sick.

Thoughts?

B83187EB-E58A-4CD3-9FB5-39DA6F929310.jpeg 5D279A77-C3C4-4616-8BD0-85EE8A9AC53F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7482.MOV
    10.5 MB
OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with green moray but a Google search has some reports of this being normal even in wild ones.
I must be doing something wrong with google. I tried to find anything about it I got 0. Lol. I just get freshwater eels sleep upside down. No mention of morays.

I guess it can’t be to bad. Decided to see if he would eat and dangled a full 8” octopus in front of him. He snatched it up and backed into his pipe.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wouldn't worry right off the bat, they will do that, my tessa lays his head like that in his tube.

Maybe he needs a pillow, hahaha.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wouldn't worry right off the bat, they will do that, my tessa lays his head like that in his tube.

Maybe he needs a pillow, hahaha.
My other concern is I really didn’t think he was going to eat. So without thinking I placed a whole octopus (8”-9”) in the hole and he snatched it and backed down the pipe. He came back out 5 minutes later. But now I’m worried if he ate it or not. That’s a big octopus to just let rot in the tube. Serious ammonia spike. What are the chances he took it and dropped it in the tube.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how big this one is? One of my lfs has one that is probably 6 ft long or more and and bigger around than my arm. It's really interesting and named mr grinch. It's for sale but I don't know how a person would go about moving it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other concern is I really didn’t think he was going to eat. So without thinking I placed a whole octopus (8”-9”) in the hole and he snatched it and backed down the pipe. He came back out 5 minutes later. But now I’m worried if he ate it or not. That’s a big octopus to just let rot in the tube. Serious ammonia spike. What are the chances he took it and dropped it in the tube.

Yeah could happen, you could run a tube into pvc and pump water through to flush it out, like a closed loop. Is he cruising through the pvc from one end to the other, if so it is more likely he ate it, or it would end up pushed through. That's one thing I hate about pvc, I usually don't use them, in my case now I am because tessa's can collapse rock work and I'm using it as support.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how big this one is? One of my lfs has one that is probably 6 ft long or more and and bigger around than my arm. It's really interesting and named mr grinch. It's for sale but I don't know how a person would go about moving it.
It’s tough to gauge. But around 52”. Hrs pretty thick. It was a fiasco moving him. There simple to guide when small but when they get bigger a bite is always on your mind. The shop owner used a clear bag on a net frame. Once his head went in they gathered him up.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%

Back