New guy - Wisco

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I'm glad to have stumbled across this site! I've been lurking and reading for the last few days and decided to sign up so I could start participating.

About me - I was a military brat growing up, so I traveled pretty constantly most of which was overseas. I really got interested in fish when we got assigned to Andersen AFB, Guam. Snorkeling there in the tidal pools was amazing!! Fast forward almost 30 years(good grief) I'm elbows deep in to my first saltwater tank. I've had a bit of experience freshwater tanks and am learning the nuances of the saltwater world.

My current setup -I've only had fish in the tank for a little more than 2 weeks so far. I did attempt a bit of a cycle, and then like a n00b I rushed in to things... The fish are doing great and the water parameters have been pretty stable(ammonia never got over 3-4 ppm and is now almost undetectable, nitirite 0 ppm, nitrate maxxed at 30-40ppm and is now 20-25ppm). 75gal FOWLR setup, with a decent sized canister filter, 3 powerheads, and a small surface skimmer. For fish I have a bonded pair of clowns and a single purple dottyback, plus cleanup crew. I believe the clowns are extreme misbar black occellaris, but I'm a novice so I could be completely wrong(that's them in my avatar). If anyone can id em, I'd be grateful. I just added a CUC this last weekend so I'm helping that settles things down a bit and compensates for my bad habits. I'm starting with a FOWLR setup until I learn some things and basically get to know what the heck I'm doing before I even contemplate corals and nems and whatnot.

Anyhow, glad to be here and appreciate the massive amounts of content and knowledge!!

-Kris

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey folks,

I'm glad to have stumbled across this site! I've been lurking and reading for the last few days and decided to sign up so I could start participating.

About me - I was a military brat growing up, so I traveled pretty constantly most of which was overseas. I really got interested in fish when we got assigned to Andersen AFB, Guam. Snorkeling there in the tidal pools was amazing!! Fast forward almost 30 years(good grief) I'm elbows deep in to my first saltwater tank. I've had a bit of experience freshwater tanks and am learning the nuances of the saltwater world.

My current setup -I've only had fish in the tank for a little more than 2 weeks so far. I did attempt a bit of a cycle, and then like a n00b I rushed in to things... The fish are doing great and the water parameters have been pretty stable(ammonia never got over 3-4 ppm and is now almost undetectable, nitirite 0 ppm, nitrate maxxed at 30-40ppm and is now 20-25ppm). 75gal FOWLR setup, with a decent sized canister filter, 3 powerheads, and a small surface skimmer. For fish I have a bonded pair of clowns and a single purple dottyback, plus cleanup crew. I believe the clowns are extreme misbar black occellaris, but I'm a novice so I could be completely wrong(that's them in my avatar). If anyone can id em, I'd be grateful. I just added a CUC this last weekend so I'm helping that settles things down a bit and compensates for my bad habits. I'm starting with a FOWLR setup until I learn some things and basically get to know what the heck I'm doing before I even contemplate corals and nems and whatnot.

Anyhow, glad to be here and appreciate the massive amounts of content and knowledge!!

-Kris
Awesome welcome:)

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!

Are you keeping mostly community fish bc u r considering reef?

spockwelcome.jpg

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It’s great to have another Kris on here!

I want to snorkel Guam someday, but it’s off the path a bit.

Thanks @KrisReef ! Yeah, we were blessed to have spent 2 years on Guam. We had 2 typhoons in that time, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard and thanks for joining!

No doubt you liked to snorkel Guam.

While in the service I used to catch a M.A.C. or S.A.C. flight and spend a few days enjoying scuba over there. In the early to mid-'70s, Guam had the largest McDonalds in the world. Man, that place was huge.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back