OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I've started out on this adventure again after 13 years away. I recently bought a tank and realised I had the wrong tank, filter, lights, etc... For the reef tank I want to build.

So, today, I bought a custom 125g tank (with a predrilled built in overflow - the 65 gallon I returned would have needed an overflow box and I think was gonna be too small looking a year or so into the future)

It has an Oak stand and an Oak hood to hide the lighting. It's a 4 footer, so it has a lot of depth.

I went with an Aqueon 36×19×14 sump system and a Hydor Seltz D DC Controllable Universal Pump for the return pump 1200 GPH. The sump was a little pricey - but - I posted a pic and it's way more advanced than anything I would have built as a newbie. I have never done a sump system before - so it was a lot to learn. I get it now but it took a lot of explaining to understand exactly why a sump is necessary for the type of corals and amount of fish I want in my aquarium.

I started back on this path staring a tank and stand for sale in Petsmart... It was 40% off then 50% off and I bought the tank. After a week of doing research on marine aquariums nonstop when not at work, I realized my the tank and cannister filter I bought were just not gonna work. I needed a tank with a drilled overflow. I had no idea what a sump was. My heart sank as I watched YouTube videos and realized that I had this whole thing wrong off the bat.

So, I went to a reputable aquarium store... After the shop owner worked on me over two days I bought the tank of my dreams.

I got out the door for $1980 including 9.8% sales tax in Cook Count, IL. Long and short of it - it cost me over 6X what I paid for the wrong stuff. It was worth every penny. There is no other way that I would have rather spent that money - so, I'm serious about this. I'm a barber, so I'm not a really rich dude, I just have really good taste when it comes to beautiful things.

I also have a B.S. and an MS in chemistry, and I taught organic chemistry II as a TA at UIC while before I abandon my PhD in organic chem. So, I'm really up to challenge of all the biology, chemistry, and biochemistry that will be happening in my reef ecosystem.

I bought live sand - and have Bio-Spira nitrfying bacteria to add to the tank for cycling. I'm not sure about live rock... I may go with dry. I got a terrible marine pest (bug) that killed my fish in the last tank I had causing me to abandon my hobby for 13 years - but - I'm sooo happy to be back.

I love this forum. Everyone has been so awesome an knowledgeable that I've interacted with. I'm lookong forward to interacting with you all and seeing pics of your aqairiums.

I pick up my 125g tomorrow! I brought home the sump and pump today. I posted a pic of the sump and the pump... And I'll post pics of my tank, stand, hood etc tomorrow.

I'm excited to get set up and cycling. I have some questions about water and live rock...
Does anyone have any thoughts on live rock? I don't want any pests... I think I'm gonna cycle without it.

Also, is ocean water better than RO mixed with salt? Thoughts?

I'm gonna get some AI lights and a skimmer once I have some inhabitants.

Any idea how long I should cycle for if using live sand, Bio-Spira, and some ocean water, maybe some water from an esablished tank? 6-8 weeks-ish maybe? Of course I will test.

Also, if I add Bio-Spira, I should add a fish or two to feed them ammonia right? Or should I still wait a while beforw adding a fish?

Last edited:

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any thoughts on live rock? I don't want any pests... I think I'm gonna cycle without it.

there is nothing wrong with using dry rock. It's what I used for my recent setup. I went with CaribSea life rock.

Also, is ocean water better than RO mixed with salt? Thoughts?

go with RO mixed water. In order to get anything decent from the ocean you would have to go miles offshore. And with ro you control the chemistry to an extent and you should always have salt water on hand for tank emergencies. ocean isn't that convenient.

I'm gonna get some AI lights and a skimmer once I have some inhabitants.

Any idea how long I should cycle for if using live sand, Bio-Spira, and some ocean water, maybe some water from an esablished tank? 6-8 weeks-ish maybe? Of course I will test.

6-8 weeks is a good bit of time for using BioSpira I also used it when I started mine. Just test and you will know when you are ready. Also you can NOT over dose BioSpira.

Also, if I add Bio-Spira, I should add a fish or two to feed them ammonia right? Or should I still wait a while beforw adding a fish?

Dont use fish to cycle. Buy a bottle of dr Tim's ammonia for feeding the bacteria.

Hope this helps you. Remember the only thing that can happen quick are bad things. Continue to ask questions when you have some and keep us updated on your progress.

OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps you. Remember the only thing that can happen quick are bad things. Continue to ask questions when you have some and keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks for the input. Dr. Tim's ammonia it shall be! Perfect. The ocean water I was thinking of adding comes in a box, I saw it at Petco. It's literally a box of Pacific Ocean water. It's a little pricey... $12 for 5 Gallons but thought it might be worth it for initial setup - or at least adding some.

As far as water, I have well water, a water softener, and an RO unit. But I'm not sure that the RO will remove any Iron or copper properly from the water missed by the water softener and the whole idea scares me. The aquarium shop near me sells RO water and they have Chicago lake water... So, I'm probably just gonna buy water from there.

I cant wait to post some pics!

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. The ocean water I was thinking of adding comes in a box, I saw it at Petco. It's literally a box of Pacific Ocean water. It's a little pricey... $12 for 5 Gallons but thought it might be worth it for initial setup - or at least adding some.

gotcha. If that is your best option I'd go that route.

As far as water, I have well water, a water softener, and an RO unit. But I'm not sure that the RO will remove any Iron or copper properly from the water missed by the water softener and the whole idea scares me. The aquarium shop near me sells RO water and they have Chicago lake water... So, I'm probably just gonna buy water from there.

an rodi unit should be able to remove all bad things from the water you might just have to have a 2 or 3rd carbon and more di media, if not you'll just have to swap filters more often. Is the big box store your only source for local purchases?

I cant wait to post some pics!

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads up soak the filter socks in RO water for 24 hours before use. Reason is to get any chemicals and oils left on them from manufacture. Buy some spares that way you can easily swap out each week and wash them for use for next week.

Also just a warning things will get really really expensive if you do a reef tank instead of fish only live rock.
Buy dry rock it will become live after a few months and you will start to get Coraline. You have to introduce the Coraline.
Patience is key in this hobby. Cycle the tank , use your own RO water with the salt brand of your choice. I advise against using water from other tanks when you start because that can introduce unwanted pests and bacteria in your tank. If you want something cheap but reliable and easy to use just look up the RO buddy. If you are doing a reef tank the go to option for budget wise is instant ocean reef crystals. I would recommend a media reactor for carbon.

As for your question about ocean water vs ro with salt I would say that your more prone to getting unwanted things in your tank. I highly also recommend that you get an auto top off because of the mass amount of water tanks loose from evaporation.

Get decent test equipment , need a refractometer, I suggest the ultra low phosphate Hannah checker, and the Hannah alkalinity checker, Red Sea pro calcium, nitrate, and magnesium test kits. get an api reef kit for a backup.

Pick up 3 or 4 five gallon buckets if you don't already have some.

For carbon I recommend red seas carbon.
For Phosphate removal get some GFO from bulk reef supply
get some Red Sea no3 po4-x reducer

For sand I recommend Fiji pink from caribsea.

Reef octopus skimmers are really reliable but sometimes get pricy.

Always remember to dip coral and quarantine fish before ever introducing them to your main tank.
If you don't already I highly highly recommend you pick up a 10 to 20 gallon glass aquarium for a quarantine tank.
Get a test kit for copper and use seachem cupramine for quarantine this is the best option to get rid of ich.
NEVER get copper into your main tank and never use equipment that touches the quarantine tank on the main tank.(cross contamination. Any trace of copper is detrimental to coral.

Are you going with a mixed reef , spa dominated or softie coral reef.

OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads up soak the filter socks in RO water for 24 hours before use. Reason is to get any chemicals and oils left on them from manufacture. Buy some spares that way you can easily swap out each week and wash them for use for next week.

Also just a warning things will get really really expensive if you do a reef tank instead of fish only live rock.
Buy dry rock it will become live after a few months and you will start to get Coraline. You have to introduce the Coraline.
Patience is key in this hobby. Cycle the tank , use your own RO water with the salt brand of your choice. I advise against using water from other tanks when you start because that can introduce unwanted pests and bacteria in your tank. If you want something cheap but reliable and easy to use just look up the RO buddy. If you are doing a reef tank the go to option for budget wise is instant ocean reef crystals. I would recommend a media reactor for carbon.

As for your question about ocean water vs ro with salt I would say that your more prone to getting unwanted things in your tank. I highly also recommend that you get an auto top off because of the mass amount of water tanks loose from evaporation.

Get decent test equipment , need a refractometer, I suggest the ultra low phosphate Hannah checker, and the Hannah alkalinity checker, Red Sea pro calcium, nitrate, and magnesium test kits. get an api reef kit for a backup.

Pick up 3 or 4 five gallon buckets if you don't already have some.

For carbon I recommend red seas carbon.
For Phosphate removal get some GFO from bulk reef supply
get some Red Sea no3 po4-x reducer

For sand I recommend Fiji pink from caribsea.

Reef octopus skimmers are really reliable but sometimes get pricy.

Always remember to dip coral and quarantine fish before ever introducing them to your main tank.
If you don't already I highly highly recommend you pick up a 10 to 20 gallon glass aquarium for a quarantine tank.
Get a test kit for copper and use seachem cupramine for quarantine this is the best option to get rid of ich.
NEVER get copper into your main tank and never use equipment that touches the quarantine tank on the main tank.(cross contamination. Any trace of copper is detrimental to coral.

Are you going with a mixed reef , spa dominated or softie coral reef.
My plan is to go with a mixed reef, I want a lot of corals and a few fish. What do you recommend for dipping live rock? I read about Coral Rx but is there anything else you'd suggest. After reading an article on live rock, I think I'm gonna give it a go again but be sure to dip it.

If I'm using the live rock to cycle my tank should I quaranteen it in a bucket before I even get started? Also wondering how much live rock I should buy for 125g with a 36×18×14 sump?

I bought the wrong salt, I got the purple Instant Ocean, gonna exhange it for the Reef Salt tomorrow.

I bought Caribsea live Arag-Alive Sand, think that's a good choice?

Bought a Imagitarium refractometer, still in the box. It was $36 but the one at the aqaurium shop was $65 - different brand but not sure of why the price difference.

Bought an API marine test kit, says it does over 550 tests, seems to be good enough but I havent opened it yet.

I don't know much, well, anything really about a carbon media reactor. What does it do and cost? And when do I need to add that?

I'm also gonna add some Bio-Spira to get things moving.

Once I'm cycled, I'm going to do the Reef Octopus skimmer, some AI lights, and look into a water top off system after that.

Any thoughts on UV sterilizers?

Which sump setup do you think is best for a mixed reef, Berlin or Refugium? Does one still use a protein skimmer if doing a refugium?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back